I will transfer your old ADATS for cash

No replies
Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.

New lamps for old!

This one goes out to anyone who was recording, say, 10 to 20 years ago.

I just bought an ADAT machine. You may remember, these were a miracle technology of the 1990's that allowed for inexpensive digital multitrack recording, before hard-disk recording took hold. They recorded 8 tracks onto VHS tape. If you stacked several ADAT machines, you got more tracks.

If you have old ADAT tapes, you should transfer them to hard disk archival format while you can.

1) The machines will die. Eventually there won't be any more. I can't even predict how long this machine will work
2) The tapes will die. Some already have. It was an unstable medium.

Yes, perhaps you feel your project is over, and who cares? But when the zeitgeist rediscovers the brilliance of you in another 10 years, Rock Band XI will need the capacity to remix your project for programming purposes. Or that movie that wants to feature your song on the soundtrack, in multi-channel surround sound. And so on. I've seen stranger things, too many times.

Plus, your project was mixed shittily, in a now dated unpleasant "modern" style that was intended to make it sound like something on Universal's alt rock division. The engineer slathered everything with horrible digital delay, and compressed the hell out of it, and it only came out on a cassette, and then you lost the DAT mix (which I could also transfer, if you hadn't lost it). There's a lost gem in there that you should rescue, so that the zeitgeist will ever care.

I'm in a work lull so this is a good time for me to do such things. Let me know if you are interested, post haste. Price negotiable based on project bulk.

yours,

Steve Espinola

steveespinola at gee mail dawt calm.