June 22 rally "Make Wall Street Pay for the Damage Done to Main Street"

No replies
LP's picture
LP

"On Wednesday, June 22 there will be a rally at Noon in front of Federal Hall on Wall Street at Broad Street, sponsored by National Nurses United. It is the first major event in the union's Main Street Contract campaign.

The theme of the rally on the 22nd is Make Wall Street Pay for the Damage Done to Main Street.

Registered nurses, joined by labor and community leaders and activists, will rally to call for a sales tax on Wall Street speculative activity. The tax would raise revenue to rebuild the nation. Rally participants tie financial speculation to the present economic crisis.

The rally is part of an International Day of Action, called by the European Trade Union Confederation, with events scheduled throughout Europe in support of a similar tax on the buying and selling of stocks, bonds, credit default swaps, derivatives, and other major financial transactions. Great Britain and a number of other nations have such a tax, which has also been endorsed by the European Parliament.

In the U.S., hundreds of billions of dollars could be raised every year through such fees – revenue needed to repair the harm to Main Street communities so devastated by the abuses of Wall Street speculation and greed. The money can be used to create jobs and fund health care, education and housing.
A leaflet about the June 22 event is attached. For more information about the national nurses union, go to: www.NationalNursesUnited.org

I hope you can join me and my wife, Annie, at this event to show solidarity with the unions and activists fighting for economic justice and jobs for all.

Please contact me if you plan to participate or have any questions.

Regards,

George Strauss"