I think I'm finally getting sick of Facebook?!?!

12 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Is it just me or has this been happening to other people? I mean, I like hearing about my friends and stuff but I feel like it's just getting to be too much. It also seems like I'm starting to get more and more messages for shit I don't care about, a la Myspace etc... I'm finding this strange self inflicted obligation to keep coming up with new and interesting status reports kind of a drag as well. I'd much rather spend my energy on a blog or something. I feel like I"m thankfully having more of an urge for "real face" time vs. the facebook.

In other news: Looks like someone's not happy with the new site???

http://www.facebook.com/Brerbrian?v=wall&story_fbid=138069576236341&ref=mf

"Here to do great things."

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Its Brer. Did you expect

Its Brer. Did you expect less?
Considering it is Brer, I thought he was kinda low key.
I never take him seriously.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

MMM's picture
MMM
I know. It doesn't bother

I know. It doesn't bother me much anymore. In fact it kind of makes me feel like we're actually doing something right.

Anther Pollitt's picture
Anther Pollitt
Hmm i've been thinking about

Hmm i've been thinking about this whole digital fingerprint thing and about deleting my page, i've already left the Elephant 6 townhall this morning - I'll get rid of my facebook tonight i suppose. I like being a lurker and i think alot of artists are losing mystique over their twitterbook accounts.

elisaf's picture
elisaf
I feel the same way Matt.

I feel the same way Matt. Every once in a while I like it because I find someone who I haven't talked to in a long while, and that's often a nice surprise. But it's tiring. And it's filled with everyone's nostalgia - "here's pics of us when we were 22!" Ugh. Bring back facetime.

Soléna's picture
Soléna
Same here

And trust me, no one liked facebook like I did.

But now, it just seems like the biggest souless stuff. I have too much friends that post too much information, I don't even have the time to see what's interesting. And I feel trapped cause I don't wanna delete friends or hide what they say cause that might be something interesting sometimes. For me it was mainly about keeping in touch with people, before. Now every website has a "I like" tab to report to facebook, it freaks me out.

So facebook and I are slowing things down until I figure out what I'll do, hee hee.

='.'=

MMM's picture
MMM
I think I'm still addicted to

I think I'm still addicted to it though. Had to work today, unsupervised and I still checked Facebook about 10 times. Is there some kind of Facebook withdraw support group of something?

yoko's picture
yoko
FAA

Haha, there are a bunch of videos on youtube that college kids made, about facebook addicts' support groups. they are all really shitty. we need to make one and you need to act in it.

MMM's picture
MMM
I think we should make more

I think we should make more short films. It can't be that hard. Anyone have any ideas. Who's got a camera. I used to do a lot of acting in High School, just plays though.

LP's picture
LP
If FB is really getting in the way of yr work

If FB is honestly hurting your productivity, and you think it's a problem.. a free mac app to help ye out. Developed by Steve Lambert (artist/Yes Men minister of communications) & Eyebeam art & tech. center in NYC. Select a list of sites to disallow, select a period of time up to 24 hours, click go.

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
Im starting to feel the same way

I like communicating with everyone and seeing whats going on but there is a limit and it can be distracting. Im going to try one of those apps that cuts you off but Im also thinking of getting out of the whole thing.

Not yet though!

MMM's picture
MMM
It's a little scary. I feel

It's a little scary. I feel like some day they could just start charging for facebook or make it some kind of premium type service like with cable or satellite radio. Maybe it's only 5 dollars a month or something like that. Or something like now get Facebook with the 'faster" internet option from your cable service or something like that. And before you know it net neutrality is out the window. This stuff bums me out. But I fear it's almost seems inevitable. Thanks Capitalism.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I second SelfControl as a

I second SelfControl as a great program. It REALLY works, though, so be careful what you put on the Blacklist. You will not be able to use it until the timer is complete.

Leechblock for Firefox is also pretty good.