Downtown Islamic Center?

13 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

NYT just did a pole of 900 New Yorkers and supposedly 50% were anti Islamic Center. Personally I think it would be an amazing gesture that would do more to help fight terrorism than a billion dollars in bullets. What do you think? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/nyregion/03poll.html?hp
Mosque

"Here to do great things."

Chris Andersen's picture
Chris Andersen
That's a bit depressing. At

That's a bit depressing. At least a slim majority agreed that they have the right to build it.

Oh, now I'm depressed again to see that favor increased with level of education. Or is that feeling amusement? They roll into one for me.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Anyway You Look At It, We're Screwed

Many American's feel its a slap in the face to allow the Mosque to be built so close to Ground Zero of 9/11. Many American's also feel that all of Islam should be held responsible for what happened that day, which is totally ridiculous, but people can be idiots as we all know.
While I feel it is a little insensitive to build the Mosque so close to where so many people died, people who are still being mourned, where the pain is still raw and even though there are already at least 2 Mosques in the area, they should be allowed to.
Why? Cause if they are not permitted to build it then the terrorists win. The terrorists will have succeeded in taking away one of our constitutional rights.

I'd just like to see what gets completed first, the new Mosque or the WTC site. I still believe they barely did any work on the WTC site because its great war propaganda.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Why is it "insensitive" to build a mosque?

First of all, it's a community center.
Second of all "christians" like George W. had there hand in the whole thing.
Third of all, it's irrelevant as to whether people that called themselves Muslims killed all those people or not just like it's irrelevant that folks that call themselves christian have used depleted uranium to cause retardation and horrible deformities in newborns in Iraq.
Mosques should still be allowed to be built and so should christian churches.
Somebody is attempting to set up another Jew/German type scenario, and when it's all over I pray I will have been like one of those bad-ass Germans that stood up to the Nazis and was executed.
The U.S. is digging itself in deeper and deeper with this attitude.
The whole world is watching the "Land of the Free".

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Barry, I Agree with You

But lets get real here. Don't you think they knew there was going to be controversy on this issue? C'mon, the way our government, NYC, the press, etc. make such a big deal about it every Sept. 11? Thats what I feel is insensitive. Knowing you're doing something that going to cause everyone a lot of problems, yourself included.
I know its a community center, but from what I've heard on the news & read in the papers, there is going to be a Mosque there also.
Its a myth that we're the land of the free. What is a christian? What do people who call themselves Christian really mean by that term? I have no idea what it means anymore.
I can show you folk who will swear to you that their only goal in life is to find the truth, live the truth, yet they'll lie to you like you've never been lied to in your life just for their own gain. So much for the truth, so much for being Christian, so much for being Muslim.
Everybody's out for themselves & fuck everyone else.

soce's picture
soce
Maybe we can start building

Maybe we can start building Jewish temples and Christian churches in the centers of Muslim communities in various cities in The Middle East and see what their reaction is.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
That's not a good argument

That's not a good argument Soce. Middle Eastern nations do not pride themselves on freedom of religion. That's an American thing...

LP's picture
LP
Fear mongering, xenophobia, racism, and rationalized hate.

"Fire at Tennessee Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson"
They don't have such convenient scapegoats.

Costello's picture
Costello
Let's call it the Ground Zero Performing Arts Center

because apparently the theaters housed here will occupy over 5x the space of the "prayer room". The place is called Park 51 and reportedly will also house a top-shelf private school that Wall Streetish people of all races and religions are clamoring to get their kids signed up for.

The closest comparison I've heard about this complex is the 92nd St. Y.

I can't explain my frustration with the media on this issue but I think we really should stop calling this building a Mosque. I think the NY Times poll headline is a step in the right direction....though the poll makes me angry and depressed.

Yes. I wrote this.

speakerb's picture
speakerb
show me the money?

who is financing it?

what i mean to say is, is it being financed by the local islamic community, or is it being financed by a foreign islamic community, possibly even an anti-american, foreign islamic community? for me, the major factor is the intention of the builders. if its a place for peace and worship, great! if the intention is to be negative, then not great! follow the money and the answers will be revealed.

domo arigato

Chris Andersen's picture
Chris Andersen
I don't know, it's tough for

I don't know, it's tough for me to imagine a nefarious purpose this could be put towards. I mean, it can't be used to send money back to any radicalized groups, even if they did fund it, because community centers don't make money, they cost money. If they were going to use it as some sort of recruiting center, that seems like a bad move, because it's so high profile now it's hard to imagine that no government agency will be keeping an eye on it. The eyes of the nation are going to be on this community center

Of course it's likely that it will offend the families of victims, but...I know this isn't the most sensitive thing I could say, but...the emotions of those victims shouldn't be the be all and end all in deciding public policy.

opemily's picture
opemily
Soce- there are churches and

Soce- there are churches and synagogues throughout the Middle East. Most countries here have a Christian minority and a very small Jewish populations. Yes, there are tensions between the Christian and Muslim communities, but they all still managed to live with each other for centuries and the popularity of religion, some generations feel a religious unity, others feel national unity.

The churches in Saudi Arabia issue is even simpler. There are very few, if any Saudi Christians. My friend told me there are several hundred Saudi Jews living in the Southern area, near the border with Yemen and the Saudi government leaves them alone. The religious minority the Saudis like to pick on are the Shiia in the East. The controversy over building churches in Saudi Arabia has more to do with foreign workers than religion. The Saudis are very xenophobic, they want to keep their Bedouin roots as pure as possible. However, in order to become a modern state, they had to import a lot of labor from outside to build their cities. But they don't want these workers to stay and build a life there, they want them to get the job done and get out. So they keep them as uncomfortable as possible, which includes prohibiting building houses of worship. In the grander scheme, I think maybe we should focus on the slave-like conditions these workers suffer through before whether or not they can build a church or temple in Riyadh.

As for the people funding it, the Cordoba Initiative has stated it will be open about its sources of funding and has invited the US Treasury to review its list of donors. Say what you like about the "War on Terror", we were able to successfully shut down a lot of terrorist funding disguised as charities. The Saudi who's the largest minority holder of News Corp, and who Fox News unofficially labelled a terrorist. The guy owns one of the major record labels here with some of the smuttiest Lebanese pop stars. He would probably not be welcomed by Al Qaeda or any other Islamist group. He's Muslim in name only, his real religion is making money.

The imam is a moderate interested in interfaith dialogue. The arguments against him are all really flimsy. A. He said 9/11 was the culmination of decades of poor foreign policy. It was. Not really a debate. B. He doesn't want to publicly denounce Hamas and Hezbollah. It's sad that these two groups are the only real opposition to Israeli occupation left. However condemning them outright is considered siding with Israel. He really can't win in this situation so he avoids giving a straight answer. C. Comments on Sharia law. In this case he's talking like a religious leader. A rabbi would encourage his congregation to follow the Talmud. Churches stress the importance of incorporating the teachings of the Bible into everyday life. He's not making arguments against teaching evolution and punishing homosexuals by quoting the Qu'ran. He's not promoting Sharia over the US Constitution.

MMM's picture
MMM
Imam Defends Islamic Center

"Here to do great things."

Herb's picture
Herb
A song about this

I wrote a song about this issue. It's the first one on my Myspace Page, called "Around Here."

www.myspace.com/herbscher