Where is Brook Pridemore? (we miss him in Zurich)

6 replies [Last post]
Jacky22's picture
Jacky22

Where is Brook?
We were supposed to play with him in Zurich tonight at El Lokal
(We played with Dan Costello last time)

We missed him
(on a personal note, I miss the old OJ board)

whine whine
Jack

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
Where is Brook Pridemore?

He's sitting across from me yelling "You guys are good!" at Erin Regan.

MMM's picture
MMM
What do you miss about the

What do you miss about the old board?

"Here to do great things."

Jacky10's picture
Jacky10
well

not sure if this is the proper thread to answer, but I liked the size of the larger font of the old board. On this one, it just feels a bit busy and small. There's a lot of info on the sides. (perhaps this is very purposeful in an effort to integrate the label and the message board).
Right now it feels overwhelming and less inviting.
Maybe if there were less "discussions" listed and each was in a bigger font?

Whiney
Jack

MMM's picture
MMM
Thanks

A more spacious forum is in the works. The reason the site appears narrow has something to do with making it work universally on all computers and iPhones. If you want to make the font bigger try holding: command + . This will at least make it larger on your screen. I'll look into perhaps making the font larger.

I've talked to Dibs and he says that a new style of forum is in the works. something more similar to the K site or this one: http://forum.markethotel.org/

Integrating the forum into the site is an important aspect of the new site. I really didn't like how the old board was so separate from the rest of the site. I also didn't like how it was owned by a third party. I know it feels weird but I think it's not too hard to get used to. This way people can post their shows on the calendar and don't have to muck up the forum. I also like how it makes people on the board pay attention to OJ related stuff. By the way you should post your Vaseline shows on the calendar.

dibson's picture
dibson
Site Narowness

The site is narrow for a few reasons.

When a website is presented on the screen, it can have a fixed (unchanging) width or the width can vary on the size of your browser's window.

We had the site with a variable width for a while, but decided that it didn't look right on large screens (not laptops). The middle column (where these words are) would stretch as wide as the window, and the lines of text would be so long that it was hard to read. It also looked really awkward. We decided fixed width was best for us. This site has a fixed width of 960 pixels.

There is a lot of information to put on the page when it is displayed. There's the main content (page/blog post/forum discussion), the login form, the latest things in the store, upcoming shows, etc. To make the main content separate from the other secondary stuff we keep them in separate columns.

The site was designed with three columns - one for main content (the middle), and two for secondary content (the sides). We could have only two columns (one main, one secondary). We could even do just one, but that would be more confusing given all the stuff we have for the page.

The font size is the same as on the old board, believe it or not. The "feel" of this one is *way* different though. This has to do with lots of things: color, width of the post, the sidebars, the big space at the top of each post with the photo and online status. I would love to have a designer take a look at the site and give us some tips. This message board didn't have a design specified, which is why it's a little funny.

Also to consider is the old board was one website that *only* did discussions. This site is doing a lot more - it has a message board, an online store, a blog, an events calendar, etc.

As Matt mentioned above, I want to get this forum to software that does only message boards. This is pretty common - the Market Hotel and K Records sites both have dedicated forum software running. But the free software available to tie this website to a forum is not so good right now, so we're holding onto this until then. When our options open up, we'll review them.

MMM's picture
MMM
That's why he's the internet guy...

Thanks Dibs. You explained this infinitely better than I ever could.