Your new producer/engineer: Chuck Taylor

6 replies [Last post]
Neil's picture
Neil

I was reading about this in the NY Times yesterday.NYtimes
I have my reservations about the idea, but signed up for more info anyway. the way I see it, if anyone is gonna get free studio time, it might as well be me.
Rubber Tracks

what does the OJ community think about this?

Your signature will be publicly displayed at the end of your comments.

MMM's picture
MMM
I'm suspicious

As I am with most big companies offering to give you something for free. But it seems fairly straight forward. Keep me posted.

"Here to do great things."

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
Rubber tracks

Well of course its a hilariously transparent attempt to build more cred with the "hipster" market--

"We also love the passion of people who create music, and are thrilled to be along for the ride with all of bands who put Chucks on their feet."

However...

They seem serious about being able to make low cost/no cost quality recordings, for whatever reason. So who knows? The danger is that people who get in their program will really end up exploited by Converse's (Nike's!) marketing division (you can even see the outlines of it in the web site copy).

Bee K's picture
Bee K
caveat rock.

caveat rock.

Chris Andersen's picture
Chris Andersen
I found this paragraph especially confusing

“Think of a cul-de-sac with four garages, and in those garages are four bands,” Mr. Cottrill said. “On the street are all the big brands of the world — Coke, Apple, the car companies — standing there waiting for the garage door to open and the cool band to step out so they can tell them they’re going to make them famous. But I would venture to say that inside those garages those kids are already wearing our shoes.”

Anyway, I can't find any fine print on the website, and that makes me nervous.

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
disgusting but inevitable

It really reminds me of that scene in A Hard Days Night where George Harrison meets Adrian the advertising executive. Its weirdly icky, sort of like a corporate sponsor now wanting to become a member of your band (or worse, pretending that he already is!).

But the music biz is so difficult now, with so few resources, it seems like people shouldn't turn their backs on a resource being offered. But I wonder how they will choose the bands. Will future Vampire Weekends and future (or present) Huggabroomsticks be on an equal footing? If so, good for them, and musicians should take advantage. If not, no surprise.

Elastic No-No Band's picture
Elastic No-No Band
Intrigued Like Neil

I gave them my email. Now I'm sure, they'll send me updates on all their upcoming products.

--Info on three-worded acts like Elastic No-No Band, Joe Crow Ryan, and Thomas Patrick Maguire at http://www.weemaykmusic.com --