dumbass gay guy* and a dumbass hassidic jew

8 replies [Last post]
Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

*Technically there was no way to know if he himself was gay.

I was walking across the Williamsburg Bridge today and two Hassidic women were walking the other way.
A cyclist passed me headed the same way as me.
When he got close to the two women he road as close as he could to them and yelled "Leave gays alone".
I found it quite violent on his behalf.
I since saw a bit about the recent controversy, but I don't care.
That is not the way to handle it.
It was obnoxious and mean.

Later, I was walking home on Bedford Avenue and had my shirt off.
a car pulled over and the man called to me
I thought maybe he needed directions.
It was a Jewish man--Possibly Hassidic but with no coat on.
First he asked me did I speak english.
right away I realized this was going to be weird.
He was condescending.
I won't relay the whole converstaion but in a nutshell he said.
"This is a respectable neighborhood. There are kids out here.
Put a shirt on."
I told him all the kids were seeing was a dignified man walking down the road.
After this went on for a while I walked away.

Honestly, is it going to hurt a kid to see a nice 45 year old man with no shirt on?
They might even realize you can be fit and healthy at that age--though I am sure they have some examples of that within their community.

I already wear pants everywhere I go--not because it's the right thing to do, but just to kiss the ass of society as a whole and to stay out of prison.
I already stomach the absolute insanity of women being told they can never even go shirtless.
I am not about to always wear a shirt when it's not even illegal.

You know, I could organize 5,000 gay men to walk down Bedford Ave shirtless.

Hassidic Jews should be welcome anywhere and everywhere.
I can go where I like too though.
Shit, I live their.

I just wonder if maybe there aren't going to be a lot of different wars going on in the future at the same time.
Some gays vs some jews, some jews vs some others, rich vs poor, on and on--elite corporatists vs "environmentalists, again on and on.
Just one big complex ball of hate and fighting--is that what is coming?

Peace is the answer period

Neil's picture
Neil
Shirts versus skins?

Shirts versus skins?

Your signature will be publicly displayed at the end of your comments.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
is that what is comming?

Where're you been boy? Its been like this since Eve got the blame for Adam eating the apple. People tend to look for someone to place blame on and therefore learn to hate.

Just keep in mind, you have to be taught to hate. Its a hard thing to unlearn, but its possible. I try to unlearn it every day of my life... I also never taught it, at least thankfully I never see it in my kids. Hopefully they never learn it and pass it onto their kids.

** I'm not trying to be insulting and I'm sorry you were accosted today by that man, but do you see what you're doing by calling them both "dumbass"? I know its anger talking, but it sounds like some hate going on there also. Knowing you as I do, I seriously doubt you have a hateful bone in your body, but anger from 1 sometimes leads to hate for another.

I'm just trying to show how hate comes about. Its a never ending circle.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
correction

You know, I could organize 5,000 gay men to walk down Bedford Ave shirtless.
No I couldn't.
I am not gay.
That was dumb.

MMM's picture
MMM
This reminds me a little bit

This reminds me a little bit of this youtube of an Arsenio Hall show that Dan Fishback posted on FB recently.

"Here to do great things."

MMM's picture
MMM
"Rabbi Breaks With Paladino Over Apology"

First there was this: Unrepentant, Paladino Calls Gay Parades ‘Disgusting’
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/nyregion/12paladino.html?ref=carl_p_pa...

Then a little bit of this: Agendas of Paladino and Rabbi Meld
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/nyregion/12rabbis.html?ref=carl_p_pala...

but then: Paladino Apologizes for Remarks About Gays
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/nyregion/13paladino.html?ref=carl_p_pa...

and now we've got: Rabbi Breaks With Paladino Over Apology
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/nyregion/14paladino.html?src=ISMR_HP_L...

There's some seriously ridiculous shit going in NY politics lately. I swear it's better than any reality show on TV.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
A friend of mine brought up

A friend of mine brought up an interesting point about discrimination against gays, which is that huge changes will probably come as older generations move on. Younger generations are, in general, way more accepting of homosexuality in their friendships, culture, and communities. You can find anecdotal examples of younger people gay bashing, but statistically most of the heavy hitting legislation and institutionalized discrimination is a product of an older generation of homophobia.

It doesn't mean we should sit on our laurels regarding issues like this: what defines us as humans are the times when we are able to jump the gun on what is right and not weight for problems to die off gradually. It's important to keep pushing these issues. But I think ultimately, the good guys will win this war.

MMM's picture
MMM
The Good guys

aren't gonna win if Paledino get's elected. I would normally agree with you but I'm seriously a bit frightened that a man like this can gain so much popularity. Along with this tea party crap. I hope this is just the 2 steps back before the 3 steps forward.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
"I hope this is just the 2

"I hope this is just the 2 steps back before the 3 steps forward."

As long as people put effort into issues they care about that are grounded in human decency, it will always be this. If not, it the steps backwards will trump steps forward, at least for a while.