Election help (not for the apathetic)

2 replies [Last post]
Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis

I'm not posting this in order to get responses from people who don't think that there's a difference between politicians, I know you're out there and I know we've discussed our different views before.

This post is for anybody who DOES want to be involved in trying to make things better via the ballot box (there's other ways to make the world better, too, but if you agree with me that voting IS at least in some small way one of them, read on):

There's a very close Senate race up for grabs in Pennsylvania right now, Democrat Joe Sestak is FOR THE FIRST TIME actually pulling even with (or a tiny bit ahead of) Republican Pat Toomey. Sestak could really benefit from a little of our support.

There are FREE volunteer day busses going to Pennsylvania from NYC on weekend days, to help canvass in support of Joe Sestak winning the election. I plan to go and help for at least one of these days, if not two or more. Anybody want to come with me, or find out more? (If you've never done this, I can tell you from a bunch of experience that it's not that hard, and it's a pretty cool thing to do. ) Drop me a line if you are interested in joining me! Jeff = weja5 @ yahoo.com

Here's some more info -

Democrat Sestak is, of course, the more liberal and ecologically-minded of the two, Republican Toomey is of course the more pro-religious/conservative and pro-business/anti-environmental regulation. See a couple of points below:

Sestak: “Joe Sestak’s position on the civil rights issues of the LGBT community is born out of his experience in the military, where he served alongside brave lesbian and gay service members. Having seen their dedication, their allegiance, and their sacrifices, he believes it is only fair that they receive equal rights when they return home.”

Toomey: “[Toomey] is pro-life and believes that children should be welcomed into the world and protected by its laws… [Toomey] also believes the tradition of marriage is sacred and is best defined as between a man and a woman.”

Sestak voting record: 100 percent from Penn-Environment, a citizen-based advocacy organization. 97 percent from League of Conservation Voters, one of the largest environmental organizations.

Sestak: “Our global environment is at a tipping point; we must reduce greenhouse emissions, stop global warming now, end our nation’s dependence on foreign oil, and our often careless disregard for precious natural resources. [Sestak] believes that America needs a comprehensive strategy with innovative solutions to our energy and environmental crisis that protects our air, water and land.

ALSO:
Additional data shows that another tight contest could be moving in the Democrats' favor: a Rasmussen report released Tuesday shows Democratic Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway within five points of Republican Rand Paul, with Paul leading by 47 percent to 42 percent - the smallest lead Paul has had in the poll.

AGAIN I know that there are people on the OJ board who do not believe in taking action in this way. I'm not interested in debating with you right now; this post is for the people who share my view that doing something politically is better than doing nothing politically. All of you who prefer to make the world better in exclusively non-ballot ways, by all means keep up your efforts and hopefully all of our methods of efforts will join towards a general improvement overall.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I'm a little tied down these

I'm a little tied down these days, but just wanted to say that this seems pretty cool. I hope you get some takers!

dina's picture
dina
election

yeah, i can't do this stuff during the week but good for you jeff that you are. you can't vote out of state, so it's great you can go down there to help.