19 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

"Here to do great things."

Neil's picture
Neil
I voted.

I voted.

Your signature will be publicly displayed at the end of your comments.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Done.

Done.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Mark me with a yes... and it

Mark me with a yes... and it wasn't an easy task given the choices down here. Egad!

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

MMM's picture
MMM
Cool.

Me too.

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
yep -

yep -

Costello's picture
Costello
did it

dun

Yes. I wrote this.

Jacky22's picture
Jacky22
ya

I voted here in Portland.
The governor's race was close, so it was really important that people voted.

It's awesome, they have ballots you get weeks in advance so everyone has time to vote and there are no lines. You can mail them in or drop them off.
Yesterday I realized how crazy it is that election day is not a holiday or if not, why not use mail in ballots.

Why make put people in a booth, where they are nervous and might mess up.

I voted for one local guy and then talked to a few people and decided to erase it and vote for the other guy.

MMM's picture
MMM
Or better yet...

They should be at least open for 24 hours or on a weekend. The polls here close at 9pm. I heard some people on the radio saying that they work a late shift and the polls were closed by the time they got home. Brian Lehrer talked to people who didn't vote today and why.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2010/nov/04/exit-polls/

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
What you said Matt. Down

What you said Matt. Down here we can only vote from 7am till 7pm. I waited online for 1 1/2 hours to cast my ballot. I have to say though, I didn't see anyone say screw this & leave and waiting to vote was kinda like a social event. I guess its what you're used to.
I thought they stopped all voting at 7pm, but no. The rule is you have to be in the building by 7pm to cast your vote.

MMM's picture
MMM
Voter turnout more important than ever this time.

If you listen to the Lehrer podcast they talk about how the way the elections went don't match up with Obama's approval rating. Now we get to see how the Republican's and Tea Party play together. I predict a lot of time outs.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
we get to see how the

we get to see how the Republican's and Tea Party play together

wait, wait! I gotta laugh at that! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, they're not going to play together, its going to be chaos & we're *the American people* are the ones who are going to suffer.

Hold onto your hats boys, we're in for a bumpy ride!

Neil's picture
Neil
Hope Obama remembers that he

Hope Obama remembers that he has the veto power...

Your signature will be publicly displayed at the end of your comments.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Obama seems well aware of his

Obama seems well aware of his powers, for better or for worse.

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
Again...

Again, just to repeat -
I'm glad you guys voted!
Here's the sad truth from Pennsylvania:
In PA there was only 41% voter turnout... and the Republican won the Senate seat by only ONE percentage point.
This is not meaningless - the Republicans have stated flat-out that their top priority is to block every single thing Obama tries to do, repeal any progress on health care, and make Bush's economically devastating tax cuts for the rich a permanent feature of our culture. Not to mention not giving a damn about the environment or a woman's right to choose or education funding. Oh yeah, and let's not forget about the other recently successful Republican agenda, preventing public knowledge of who is funding their campaigns.

SO once again I say:

Anybody who thinks that not voting is somehow a vote should congratulate themselves on winning yet another election - all of you progressive, humanitarian, thoughtful non-voters have carried yet another election with a significant majority. Keep on winning those not-vote victories, where your numerically overwhelming "silent expression of power" seems to continually fail to affect the greedy decisions that are made about our lives and our resources.

Oh yeah, kinda funny that California had a DIRECTLY DEMOCRATIC referendum which could have MADE MARIJUANA LEGAL, and it was defeated - because of a low voter turnout once again. Power was offered to people, right into their hands, to actually make a real difference with their votes, and they didn't seize it. But let's see, who would be most likely to be too lazy to go out to the polls? I forget.

Anyway, thanks again to everybody who did vote and who did volunteer in elections nation wide! Things could have turned out a lot worse, and would have if not for your efforts. Let's keep it up, people! Better days are gonna come. These tea party nuts are gonna dig their own grave. Unfortunately now it looks like it might have to get worse before it gets better.
Jeff

Bee K's picture
Bee K
"Papa, will the Republicans

"Papa, will the Republicans block Obama from sending more drones?"

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
We're blessed enough to have

We're blessed enough to have the right to vote in this country, but that also means we also have the right not to vote.

Does this mean we need to have and/or give a reason for not doing something we have the right to do?

Does this mean we can & should criticize people who choose for whatever reason not to exercise their right to vote?

Just because I have the right to get an abortion doesn't mean I'd run out & get one. Just because I have the right to practice any religion of my choosing doesn't mean I'd run out & join a church. Just because I have the right to bear arms doesn't mean I'm going to own a gun. Etc...

If people choose not to exercise their right to vote, that's their choice, for whatever reason. They shouldn't be made to feel like they committed some horrible act, no matter who agrees or disagrees with their decision, nor should they have to explain their reasoning to anyone. Its okay. This is America where we're free to vote or not to vote and hooray for that!

Vote or not vote. Be glad the decision is yours & yours alone. First they'll force you to vote, next step is they force you who to vote for.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
Let's see...

Ah yes, "the right not to vote." Of course you have the right not to do the right thing - but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I also felt as though all of the 3 examples you gave of "rights" had something in common. Let's see what it is:

1) "Just because I have the right to get an abortion doesn't mean I'd run out & get one."
2) "Just because I have the right to practice any religion of my choosing doesn't mean I'd run out & join a church. "
3) "Just because I have the right to bear arms doesn't mean I'm going to own a gun."

I agree with each one of these examples. But the thing they all have in common is that they are personal decisions which affect only your own life - voting is different. It's not just about you.

I didn't vote for candidates who want to fund education because I personally plan to go back to school. I didn't vote for candidates who support a woman's right to abortion because I'm a woman who plans to get an abortion (I'm a man who plans to get one!).
I didn't vote for candidates who support keeping Social Security out of Wall St's hands because I'm on Social Security.

I vote because there's a difference between Democratic candidates and Republican candidates.

Democrats believe (to lesser or greater degrees) that the job of government IS to help/meddle in society: to fund education, to create regulations to protect the environment, to create watchdog groups to oversee corporate dealings, to assist the weak and the poor and the old and the very young via government programs like Social Security and increased health care coverage.

Republicans believe (to lesser or greater degrees) that "big government should not exist" - meaning that they want to dismantle ALL of the above programs, because the strong and rich DESERVE to be strong and rich, and everybody else (meaning us, by the way) is "lazy" and deserves to suffer for it - because greed is good and should be rewarded. They believe corporations should be set free, allowed to make their own decisions (and not taxing them). They generally desire a "kill or be killed" world. BUT they don't take this "fend for yourself" position when it comes to personal decisions - they want government to decide whether you can marry your gay partner, whether you can get an abortion, whether you can smoke pot, etc.

Oh yeah, Republicans also tend to like war a lot more than Democrats do. Democrats tend to like to tax the rich more than Republicans do.

So when you "choose to exercise your right" not to vote, it's similar to the category of having the right not to help an old lady walk across the street. Yes, you have that right, but I personally don't believe you are doing the right thing if you choose to exercise it. When it comes to voting there are people other than yourself to consider, who ARE affected by your decisions in this matter.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
I'm not talking about whether

I'm not talking about whether its right or wrong, personally, I think it is wrong not to vote. Too many people fought & died so we could have that right and its in honor of their sacrifice to all Americans that I vote every time. But that's just my feelings on the subject.

However, I do have to disagree with your point that I should consider others when casting my ballot. The only thing I consider is how it affects me personally, no one else. Voting is about each and every one of us individually. Its about what we personally see as right & wrong & which direction we each, individually, feel this country should go.

Democrat or Republican, makes no difference to me. Its what the politician is going to do that will affect me personally & what my personal belief's are, that leads me to which lever I'm going to pull. How it affects anyone else, and what anyone else's beliefs are, is of no consequence to me. You may consider that selfish, but you know what, its MY vote. I do with it whatever I see fit. I'm not going to vote for someone or something because it will make anyone happy or benefit anyone besides myself and my beliefs as to what is right or wrong.

So, that old lady needs help getting across the street & maybe its the right thing to do to offer her help, but I'm struggling with getting myself across that same street and my arms are over loaded with my own burden and cars are dead on my ass. Sorry Doll, but I'm making a run for the other curb... solo!

Jacky22's picture
Jacky22
More on the differences between GOP and GNC