Indict Bush

25 replies [Last post]
Amos's picture
Amos

http://www.impeachbush.org/site/News2/612430241?page=NewsArticle&id=5443...

I'm sure some of you have seen or received this in your own emails. My mom forwarded me a message from these folks.

I realize that even if W. actually did go to jail, it wouldn't solve any of our current problems but, I do believe it would help to send a message to politicians not to lie, cheat, steal and murder in our names. Without accountability, what do politicians have to fear?

Grassroots movements have been real catalysts for change for quite some time. From voting rights to labor laws to civil rights, when the people demand that the powers that be take notice, eventually, they have no choice but to address the issues being pressed to the forefront.

Unrelated questions:

Is it wise for us to embrace government as a supposedly benevolent parent who knows what is best for us, rather than as a tool and expression of the will of the people?

Where will that kind of thinking end? When is it okay for a government to spy on it's citizens? Is national security a good enough reason to read the mail of anyone they deem a "threat"? What constitutes a threat? Is it the concrete planning of destructive acts with intent to cause harm or is it merely having an ideology that runs counter to the current paradigm for living in "polite society"?

At this point, is it safe to believe anything an agent of our government tells us? Or is the Orwellian doublespeak so inculcated into our culture that honesty, transparency and accountability exist only as definitions and not practices?

Also, is it wise to adhere to a set of established rules, if it has been proven that those who may oppose our ideas and methods feel no need to adhere to those same rules, unless it is in their interest to do so? On a moral level, my answer is always yes. The only solution is to adhere to what we have all agreed upon but, the thought of President Palin in 2013 makes me pause. I can already picture the campaign trail lies that will be used to influence the minds of lazy, apathetic Americans who only want to know that they will indeed be returned to their once comfortable lives, and the endless pursuit of leisure. Not to mention, what happens if they decide to cheat and again steal an election? What recourse do we have? Past experience says we have none, that we'd just have to grin and bear it, for four or possibly eight years.

What can be done about a mainstream media that serves as a de facto arm of or agent of not even necessarily the government but of the ridiculously wealthy interests that own them? Both sides of the liberal/conservative dichotomy claim that mainstream media is dominated by the other. How can both sides be right?

I posted a link to adbusters in the Vote For Change thread. While I find it comforting to know that there are others out there, while it not a U.S. based magazine, who have similar views and goals as I do, a lot of what is written comes off as more pissin' in the wind. Long on ideals short on actual plans. Is being a merry prankster really the road to a fundamental shift in our values or is it just a way to keep from going insane in a culture that seems bent on homogenizing human behavior or, worse a way to massage our egos while we continue in an Us v. Them adversarial dynamic?

Image: 

You should know what Sibel Edmonds knows.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
a few off the cuff thoughts

Indict Bush
I believe amongst potential presidents it is quite worked out and understood that whoever is elected will not prosecute the former.
I believe Barack agreed to not revisit the occurances of 9-11 via reopening investigations, etc. under the guise of moving forward.
Also, Obama favors most of the policies Bush put into place.
Obama would not prosecute Bush for war crimes, even if there was no agreement, because basically he himself commits the same offences.

What constitutes a threat?
I say the truth constitutes a threat in their eyes--which is true.
It's just not a threat of violence, at least not in my case.

As for adbusters, the main thing I get out of them is that they introduce me to new authors by printing excerpts from new books.

Amos's picture
Amos
Well...

I share your view, B, m'man. What I'm thinkin' is along the lines of, if the people scream bloody murder loud enough, attention will have to be paid, even if it is to silence and censor those voices. Back alley deals be damned.

The truth. So simple, so powerful. I think you're right. Then again, our fear based culture loves to keep secrets. Supposedly for the good of the masses. Lies seem to follow secrets everywhere. Where there are secrets and lies, outright illegality finds sustenance upon which to feed.

I like adbusters. Cool art. Articles that promote thought and discussion.

The following article made me think about a great many things.
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_origin_of_americas_intellectual_...

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
Really?

I'm curious about the statement "Obama favors most of the policies Bush put into place."

I'll admit that while I'm unable to think of any examples of this off the top of my head there may indeed be examples that somebody can point out to me. Educate me.

Here are two pretty substantial ways in which Obama policy differs from Bush policy:

1) Bush put the US Army IN to Iraq without just cause (consider all of the costs, to life and money and worldwide perception, etc); Obama pulled the majority of US Army forces OUT of Iraq (consider all of the savings, of life and money, etc). I know that the war in Afghanistan continues - but Obama recently announced plans to draw that to a close as well.

2) Bush put in place a massive tax cut for the richest Americans, forcing the shortfall to be made up for in ways that worsen the quality of life for the rest of us; Obama is attempting to re-instate those taxes on the rich (despite every Republican in office trying to stop him from doing this). If one considers the vast gulf in resources/power between the rich few and the poor many to be a crime against humanity, one can only conclude that Bush is an exacerbator of this crime, while Obama on the other hand seeks to take solid and rational measures to rectify it, at least to a lesser degree of gross inequality if not to full equality.

I see these as two significant differences, and worthy of me setting my stake along the side that leans towards peace and equality rather than the side that leans towards war and inequality.
There are other significant differences: Their stances on abortion, and their stances on public health care, for example.

I think these are enough reasons to be able to see Obama and Bush, while both millionaires and both politicians, as on opposing sides of some important policy issues that affect a lot of people.

I'm willing to hear out examples of Obama favoring policies that Bush put into place. (I know for example that Obama has not closed Guantanamo by the deadline he promised, although I think he at least tried to and was politically blocked, which probably doesn't count as "favoring.")

Again, I'm not saying I know everything about this issue, which is why I'd be interested in hearing what other evidence there is. (Conspiracy theories don't count as evidence, in case anybody wants to tell me that "Obama favors Bush's policy of not investigating the fact that the US blew up the Twin Towers" - I'm not saying it's impossible that the US blew up the Twin Towers, but this statement of "agreement" is not going to convince me that Bush and Obama are the same because there is already wide agreement on that issue - it would be like saying that Bush and Obama are the same because neither one will publicly state that the CIA killed JFK, or that Bush and Obama are the same because neither one believes in Martians. I'm more concerned about policies.)

Bee K's picture
Bee K
'Cause you don't know that you ain't just a janitor

Hey Jeff,

I don't have a lot of time to dig up several years worth of daily news-combing, but here are a few links I took the time to post for you. If you want to do some more research, I suggest you do a net search for the following to get you started:

Obama Anwar al-Awlaki
Obama Afghanistan
Obama Yemen
Obama drones
Obama school testing reform
Obama iraq peacekeeping troops 50,000
Obama policies ACLU
Obama Bush same Chomsky
Obama Bush same Nader
Obama Bush same Greenwald
Obama Bush same Savage

Here are a few links to get you started:

Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/16/AR201011...

excerpt:
"The George W. Bush and Obama administrations, as well as the federal courts, have rejected the idea of compensation. . . .

A number of former Guantanamo detainees have tried to sue in the United States. The courts have dismissed every case on the grounds that the government agencies and officials named have immunity from such civil lawsuits. . . .

The Bush and Obama administrations have also invoked the "state secrets" privilege to end a number of lawsuits that charged that various government and private entities were complicit in torture.

"The Obama administration continues to shield Bush-era torturers from accountability in civil proceedings by blocking judicial review of their illegal behavior," said Steven Watt, a staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union."

NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/opinion/16tue1.html?hp

Editorial on warrantless border seizures.
Relevant excerpt:
"The George W. Bush administration first authorized border agents to seize and view the contents of laptops, smartphones, and other devices and copy and share data with other government agencies without need for any individualized suspicion of wrongdoing.

The Obama administration has tweaked the policy, requiring approval from supervisors to hold a seized device for more than five days, for example. The fundamental flaw remains: it permits the government to engage in indiscriminate and invasive fishing expeditions."

NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us/22gitmo.html?hpw

Relevant excerpt:
"The Obama administration has decided to continue to imprison without trials nearly 50 detainees at the Guantánamo Bay military prison in Cuba because a high-level task force has concluded that they are too difficult to prosecute but too dangerous to release, an administration official said on Thursday."

Wikipedia with links at bottom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson_Correctional_Center

Relevance: Thompson Correctional Center is the facility in *Illinois* where many Gitmo prisoners are to be moved. Prisoners can still be held indefinitely and Obama's old state gets some jobs.

Electronic Frontier Foundation:
http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/04/05
Headline: "Obama Administration Embraces Bush Position on Warrantless Wiretapping and Secrecy"

Amos's picture
Amos
I would like to believe in Barry O.

Here is something that may clarify my position:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2009/04/13/obama

To me, this doesn't look too good. I'd like to be clear that, in my view, on the strength of Obama's past works and activism, I can view him as an honorable man in search of a better future for this country and the world. However, the methods used to achieve that change ARE important and any victories in policy change are invalidated, in my mind at least, by the abuse of power. A slippery slope is a slippery slope, no matter who is on it.

Consider the most recent "failure" in prosecuting terrorism in open, public trials. Are we soon to see these trials revert to trial by tribunal? I am not an apologist for terrorists. I do not believe using violence to effect change. I do however believe in the principals of fair, open and public trials and do not wish to see them subverted, even if the end result is that we are "safer" from terrorists than before.

Edited to say: Damn mountain time zone, even if I get up at 6:30am some of you folks (I am looking in the direction of those with lit-tel bay-bees :D) may have already been up for hours. When I first read Jeff's response I was groggy and crusty eyed and struggled to even get the words "Obama's use of Executive Power" into the google search engine. Executive Power can be used to effect positive change, especially in the upcoming "lame duck" session of congress. Will it? Will it be used responsibly? At this point, only time will tell, however, it ain't lookin' too great on that front, right now. I do hope that will change.

Thanks for all the links Ben!

I look forward to constructive discussion on these subjects. Jeff, I know you are busy but, I am extremely eager to hear your responses and ideas.

Amos's picture
Amos
Dreaded double post

http://www.publicintegrity.org/articles/entry/2565/

The linked article reveals practices I would normally ascribe to a conservative republican administration.

To be clear once again, I am not anti-Obama. I do, however, believe that candidates and administrations we, overall, favor should be subject to the same scrutiny we usually reserve for our ideological "enemies". I don't believe that the road to change is paved with blind eyes.

So, what I am I to think? What would make me think this administration, while I find it preferable to it's main alternative, isn't engaging in business as usual? Why wouldn't I and more importantly, why shouldn't I advocate for the implementation of a new form of government. One which actually does the job it is supposed to do?

Not saying the current system needs to be dismantled, just saying that we're gonna need something else, for when this system is revealed for the sham and failure that it has become.

Personally, I think sites like this are a step in the right direction. Community building for the sake of the inhabitants, to provide that which did not previously exist. If only profit could be removed as a motive, from our daily lives. It isn't our fault that profit and greed are the root of our dominant cultural paradigm. It is our fault, at least partially, if they remain after our time has come and gone.

It snowed in NM last night! =o

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

Obama giving Bush Sr. the Medal of Freedom reflects the insanity of American politics.

Amos, you may not advocate the dismantling of the system, but I do.
As a matter of fact, dismantling makes it sound like there would be work involved.
The only work is the work put in to keep it going.
All we have to do is let go and as we sigh the sigh of relief it'll crumble under it's own weight.

"It isn't our fault that profit....."
I disagree, brother.
We created it.

Amos's picture
Amos
I need to clarify

Yeah, next they'll give a posthumous one to old Prescott. He was just misunderstood...or at least that's what they'll say.

I am gonna address the second point first, because I think it was just poor communication, on my part. When I say it isn't our fault, I mean that we, you and I, Barry and Amos and Nan and Diane and Darcy and Matt, didn't create the concepts of money and profit. They were extant ideas, and practices based around these ideas had long since been in operation, prior to our arrival on the scene. The same way I don't blame you, a white guy from the south, for racism or lynchings, I don't blame people today for the existence of profit or greed. I do blame us for the perpetuation of these destructive and illusory constructs, either by direct actions or tacit approval through suffering in silence and inaction. My hope is, if we cease our pursuit of and our belief in profit, it WILL cease to exist, as it is understood today.

In the sense that humans created the mess we're in now, I agree with you 100%. I don't see any choice other than to attempt to correct the mistakes and mistaken presumptions and assumptions of the past.

The second point is tougher. At the risk of contradicting my earlier assertion, here I go:

If a system is corrupt, I think it should be dismantled or, better yet, simply abandoned, as the failure it is. Make something new, from the ground up, with the intent that the result will be better than before. Discard that which was detrimental and keep that which was working as intended. There's a long road ahead, if we're lucky, and along the way, mistakes will be made. I'd prefer that we didn't need to dismantle the existing structure but, instead worked towards having something else ready, for when that structure is finally acknowledged to be FUBAR.

Reason has already met resistance, on a number of fronts, and the resistance to reason is as strong and irrational as it ever was. It is also prone to violent, aggressive acts, when faced with ideas and beings it does not understand. The only way people who cling to fallacious notions will ever believe another way of life is possible, is if they see it with their own eyes. Perhaps not even then. I'd rather not waste such time fighting that kind of true believer. I'd rather ignore them and let them consign themselves to extinction.

Unfortunately, their means and methods place you and I in danger of sharing their fate.

I guess the TLDR version is: I do advocate dismantling a corrupt system, if that is what is necessary but, first, I'd like to try building something else.

I hope that all made sense, I haven't eaten in several hours and my mind is starting to go a lil' loopy. Time for some eats!!!

I'm proud to consider you a friend and a brother.

P.S. That Cryptome site is very cool. I am currently enjoying the "Taxonomy of Secrets" post.

Amos's picture
Amos
So...

Amos's picture
Amos
Shameless...

bump seeking to continue this discussion on what we should do when our elected officials betray us.

MMM's picture
MMM
Off the top of my head

-Find someone that better represents your ideas and vote for them and hope they don't change when they get into office (Right!!)

-Start a letter writing campaign and flood your local Senator or Congress Rep. with your opinion. Believe it or not this actually works sometimes.

-Write a song about it and sing it at the top of your lungs everywhere you go.

-Organize a protest rally

-Start a Zine or newsletter

-Spend more of your time and money trying to support the people and companies that are in step with your ideals.

-To the best of your ability, boycott the people and companies that are crushing your dreams.

-Keep talking and listening.

-Move?

"Here to do great things."

Amos's picture
Amos
otay...

Since most(if not all) of those avenues have already been pursued, what then?

MMM's picture
MMM
I'm open to suggestions.

I'm open to suggestions.

Prayer?

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
We can do the safety dance!

We can do the safety dance!

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Oh Dear Sweet Jebus

Indict Bush? Do you people really believe Bush is solely responsible? Gee, I remember right after 9/11 went down most of our country was a lynch mob and wanted to bomb the hell out of the entire Middle East. Just wipe it off the map entirely. I still hear a lot of people voicing that opinion, Scares the heck out of me. There are still a lot of folk who blame the entire Muslim community and just don't get it and refuse to ever get it. Talk about closed minds.....
Bush, and the rest of the world, was given certain information at the time they believed to be true so they acted on that information. It has since come to light that a lot of that information was incorrect. But decisions had to be made. Action needed to be taken, so he acted. And now everyone is playing Monday Morning Quarterback and GW is the fall guy.
Now don't read my intent wrong, I'm not backing Bush, nor do I feel he made the correct decisions. All I'm trying to say is I don't know if anyone else in his shoes would have acted any differently given the information he was given at the time and I seriously doubt he's solely to blame for everything that went down.
I read an interview of his this morning and 1 thing stuck out. He said, "Oftentimes history judges you on the decision you make. They don't judge you on what would have happened in the absence of a decision". He also said, "There's no such thing as accurate short term history". They kinda made me think, would anyone else have acted any differently?

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

Amos's picture
Amos
Jeannie, stop buying the lies.

"Bush, and the rest of the world, was given certain information at the time they believed to be true so they acted on that information. It has since come to light that a lot of that information was incorrect."

There are several things wrong with this statement. Please go to this link:

http://projects.publicintegrity.org/WarCard/?gclid=CKOVsLfx4aUCFcFk7Aodp...

I can cut/paste some pertinent bits for you:

"President George W. Bush and seven of his administration's top officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, made at least 935 false statements in the two years following September 11, 2001, about the national security threat posed by Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Nearly five years after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, an exhaustive examination of the record shows that the statements were part of an orchestrated campaign that effectively galvanized public opinion and, in the process, led the nation to war under decidedly false pretenses.

On at least 532 separate occasions (in speeches, briefings, interviews, testimony, and the like), Bush and these three key officials, along with Secretary of State Colin Powell, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, and White House press secretaries Ari Fleischer and Scott McClellan, stated unequivocally that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction (or was trying to produce or obtain them), links to Al Qaeda, or both. This concerted effort was the underpinning of the Bush administration's case for war.

It is now beyond dispute that Iraq did not possess any weapons of mass destruction or have meaningful ties to Al Qaeda. This was the conclusion of numerous bipartisan government investigations, including those by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (2004 and 2006), the 9/11 Commission, and the multinational Iraq Survey Group, whose "Duelfer Report" established that Saddam Hussein had terminated Iraq's nuclear program in 1991 and made little effort to restart it.

In short, the Bush administration led the nation to war on the basis of erroneous information that it methodically propagated and that culminated in military action against Iraq on March 19, 2003. Not surprisingly, the officials with the most opportunities to make speeches, grant media interviews, and otherwise frame the public debate also made the most false statements, according to this first-ever analysis of the entire body of prewar rhetoric.

President Bush, for example, made 232 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and another 28 false statements about Iraq's links to Al Qaeda. Secretary of State Powell had the second-highest total in the two-year period, with 244 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 10 about Iraq's links to Al Qaeda. Rumsfeld and Fleischer each made 109 false statements, followed by Wolfowitz (with 85), Rice (with 56), Cheney (with 48), and McClellan (with 14)."

The fact that the information was incorrect does not excuse Bush or his cohorts, due to the fact that they knew it was false and/or cherrypicked information. In fact, it makes them guilty as sin.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Jeannie, my take is that Bush

Jeannie, my take is that Bush was not innocently deceived by false information, but rather lied on purpose.

Do you people really believe Bush is solely responsible?

No.

Bush, and the rest of the world, was given certain information at the time they believed to be true so they acted on that information.

I don't believe that that is true.
How did you come to the conclusion that it is?

I seriously doubt he's solely to blame for everything that went down.

Amos obviously agrees, as do I.

I read an interview of his this morning and 1 thing stuck out. He said, "Oftentimes history judges you on the decision you make. They don't judge you on what would have happened in the absence of a decision".
My guess is G.W. read that somewhere, or someone wrote it for him.
Perhaps historians should consider what might have happened had he not made the decision(s) he made.
What if he had not made the decision to send teenagers to Iraq to kill for oil?
Well, some of the guys with a big scar for a face would be out sailing instead of in bed and a lot more children in Iraq would still have legs and arms.
Less children would be being born in Iraq with half a head or their intestines on the outside of their bodies.
We stopped Saddam from killing his own countrywomen and then we started killing them.

"There's no such thing as accurate short term history".
What is he talking about?

I wish Bush would just confess.
Personally, I would give him a full pardon if he did (of course I would not be qualified to speak for the parents whose kids were killed).
I would not only pardon him externally, I would truly pardon him.
I would embrace him as a brother.
I pray that he does that.
My former wife told me once that it's never too late for someone to change.
I agree with her.
Until/unless that happens, I consider him to be a weak and immature man.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Barry:

Bush, and the rest of the world, was given certain information at the time they believed to be true so they acted on that information.

I don't believe that that is true.
How did you come to the conclusion that it is?

Umm, remember weapons of mass destruction? Who was originally thought to be behind 9/11? Geez, how many people still believe the entire Muslim nation is out to get America? People still believe a lot of BS.

My guess is G.W. read that somewhere, or someone wrote it for him. I wouldn't know, but it was an interview with AARP and since he's now a regular citizen I doubt he has writers.

What if he had not made the decision to send teenagers to Iraq to kill for oil? Do you really believe that's what this entire war effort is about? Oil? Only oil?? Do you know anyone who has served over in either Iraq or Afghanistan? Have you talked with them about what's going on over there? About what's really happening over there? Are they telling you its all about oil?

I know 3 kids who served overseas. They went to school with my kids & I've known them since kindergarten. It was 4, but one was killed in Iraq about 2 yrs ago. I saw his mom before I left NY & offered my condolences. While she'll never get over the loss of her son you have no idea of how proud she is of him & how he fought to help bring freedom to a part of the world where they are so under the control of their government, where they have to fear their neighbors, fear everything. Oil never entered the equation.

Matt was a marine, did 2 tours in Afghanistan at a time we were really, really not welcome. He's the sole survivor of his group. The rest were killed by an attack on their helicopter which was out on a rescue mission & bringing food & supplies to the locals who had everything cut off from them. Newsday did a big 4 page spread on him about 3 yrs ago. He never mentioned oil either.

Cody did 2 tours in Iraq & 1 in Afghanistan so far. He's joint services, Navy. He constantly posts about how the people are treated over there. How they welcome the American military, how they look to them for help. The horrible way they treat their citizens, their women especially. I can tell you, Cody isn't there for oil, he's there for freedom, rather for trying to bring freedom to what he sees as the most oppressed area of the world.

Our government has even stated its not the terrorists overseas we need to worry about as much as the terrorists on our own soil.

I now live an an area thats full of military, both retired and active. You should hear these people talk. No one ever mentions oil. Its freedom they all talk about, and how those in oppressed nations like those in the middle east, need our help to achieve it.

Now I'm not advocating war by any means. I would love to see everyone make nice & have all wars end, but when you hear these stories of what these people see over there first hand, my God. I will never be able to understand how anyone can do any of these things to another human being and live with themselves any more than I can understand knowing such horrors are happening & not one country lifting a finger to stop them.

Oil? Oil is the least of the worry.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Jeannie, it's all about oil,

Jeannie, it's all about oil, Israel, and China.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Let it go. The past is the past. Focus on the present.

Efforts to indict Bush are foolish. It won't happen, it's unproductive, it misses the big picture, it's a misdirection of energy. There is a current president to focus on. Regardless of how one feels about Obama, if covert/unjust wars and kids getting bombed are one's concern, there is plenty going on now. There is a march on the white house Dec 16 for people who want to protest current and future atrocities. Let the Bush thing go. It's not about Bush. It's about the power that the president/executive branch has leveraged in general as commander-in-chief since the end of Word War II, be it Republican or Democrat. In terms of presidents involved in war crimes, Bush isn't that different than many others.

And for the love of God, please, no one respond to this post with "you're calling me a fool. I thought we were friends."

Amos's picture
Amos
Don't you...

Call me "shut up!!"

:)

Amos's picture
Amos
The reason I think it IS important.

Is because it would send a message to ALL elected officials that they are accountable for their actions.

There seems to exist a notion that western world leaders are untouchables, yet Saddam Hussein was executed for his crimes. This needs to be expunged from the minds of citizens.

In my mind, when people in positions of power aren't held accountable for their actions, it places our whole legal system on extremely shaky ground. Why should anyone have to obey the laws of the land, if our elected officials don't?

What is the statute of limitation on murder?

Wrongs must be addressed before any kind of progress can be made.

Expedience and practicality are extremely weak arguments for not pursuing justice. Should we start excusing serial killers because certain amounts of time have passed? Maybe instead of calling them "laws" we should just call them "suggestions" or "guidelines" from now on? And we can all be put on the honor system as to when we choose to follow these suggestions and guidelines?

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I was not saying indict Bush. (Bee K, you did not say specifically who you were referring to.)
I was responding to Jeannie's post about Bush being innocently led on.

I agree the lies coming from the White House did not start with G.W. nor end with G.W.
Every new president would have to charge the president that came before them with crimes if this "Indict Bush" thing was the norm.

Bush having a bestseller shows the absurdity of this world.
Morris Berman wrote a much more important book recently called A Question of Values and no American publisher would touch it.

Amos, I agree with you overall, I just don't believe in law.

There comes a day where one stops attempting to change the law and just starts breaking it.
They aren't real laws anyway.
We aren't talking about the laws of physics here, just silly made-up stuff like no selling beer on Sunday in Georgia, no taking your pants off at the beach, and no swimming when the red flag is up.

Amos's picture
Amos
I agree completely.

We don't have laws.

Laws are immutable.

We have rules.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Jeannie

I do not doubt that most young men and women that were sent to Iraq believed the lies their "leaders" told them.

I don't doubt the innocence or naivete of most of these young people.
I don't doubt their courage or conviction to do the right thing.
I applaud them and am sorry that we who are older and more experienced sent them there to protect and expand our empire.

We betrayed our children.

Iraq Veterans Against the War is a group of folks that speak from experience.