Favorite, Cheap, Good Food in the 5 Boroughs? or where you live?

2 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Please share?

I'm gonna go ahead and say Punjabi on 1st st. Between 1st and Ave. A: 3 portions from a choice of 7 delicious veggie Indian dishes on a big ol' plate of rice for just $4.50. Can't beat it.

Also Mo Racca Falafel. Dibs turned me on to this place. It's on Ave B around 4th st. Delicious fresh falafel sandwich w/ tahini sauce and salad for just $3.50.

Whathca you got?!?!

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Hells yeah

Chinese Dumplings - Sweet Spring Restaurant on the corner of Catherine Street at Henry in Chinatown. I go here whenever I stop by Downtown Music Gallery (which relocated with all their Zorn and King Crimson to Monroe St from Bowery a few years ago). Music shopping and dumpling ritual...lately I get off the L train at Bedford on a Sunday, run down and cross the WBurg bridge and then make my way to Chinatown...the dumplings are the ultimate running motivation. You can get five dumplings for $1.25 and they are amazing. It's a modest meal, but there are other things on the menu and for $5 you are basically eating like a king. THE best cheap food in the city and the service is so quick you'll be eating dumplings less than a minute after walking in.

Japanese - There is a takoyaki and okonomiyaki stand on--I'd like to say 10th--near Webster Hall. I get a $5 hookup there sometimes and it reminds me of when I lived in Japan. Really good and authentic Japanese comfort food.

Halal - The halal food stand across from the Muslin center on 11th and 1st Ave is really good and open all night. I'd say once a year I do a "what the hell" on the way to the L from SWalk and get something there.

Pizza - If you live in Bushwick, I highly suggest Fontana's II on Knickerbocker just east of MH Park. There is decent walk-in seating, we take our toddlers there all the time. Good veggie pizza.

MMM's picture
MMM
Wake up little sushi!

Thanks Ben. I'm always trying to find more good cheap Japanese and Chinese food places. There seem to be so many I never know what to pick from.

I'd be curious to know what people's favorite sushi restaurants are. I don't go that often but when I crave it I always feel like I pick one that's too expensive or not so great. Got any ideas for good cheap sushi?

"Here to do great things."