Anybody Interested in Living in Georgia (for a Year, at Least)?

8 replies [Last post]
Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

I deleted the part about tax because Jeannie answered the question below.

I was looking at houses in another state---houses--3 bedrooms, porch, living room,--some had two car garages, big yards for prices as low as $900 a month.
One had a 200 square foot studio on the property for an additional $175 (Olive Juice Music Headquarters?).
This is not that far from a major American city.
Would people take the bus or drive 30 minutes from a big city to a small town to record at a top former New York city trained engineer's studio?
I believe they would.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
(No subject)

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
$675 a month

these places have yards

another place had a three car garage unattached to the house and 3 acres of land for $1,000.
(photos of this showed it dark and dingy inside)
garage is probably as big as the back room at Sidewalk Cafe

photo is the $675 house--which is close to an awesome granite mini-mountain you can walk/hike/run up and down where deer walk sometimes

it's not a house you built and/or own
it's not in the woods or the country
but it's closer to it than NYC

house.jpeg
Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
NYS residents pay the sales

NYS residents pay the sales tax because the book is being sold out of NYS. No taxes when shipped to another state. If the book being sold was in say NJ or CT, residents of that state would have to pay sales tax.

Lots of good, cheap rentals outside of the tri-state area. The downfall is, they're outside of the tri-state area.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Anybody Interested in Moving?

I just emailed two friends about going to Georgia and renting a house for a year.
After a year we can stay or come back or whatever.

No apartment.
A house.
Like I said, there are 3-4 bedroom houses on land for around $1,000 a month.
busses run to and from atlanta
big park there
(stupid confederate carving on the side of the grqanite mountain, but I could not see it form where I lived and the mountain itself is beautiful)

dina's picture
dina
Barry Not to get into a

Barry
Not to get into a debate about living in ny again here, but some people might prefer to have a smaller space, and no car, and be able to go around the corner and get a coffee, walk across central park and go to the met, the guggenheim, the museum of the city of ny, walk down the block and browse in 3 book stores, etc etc
.....To each their own

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
dina (plus addition)

To each their own indeed.
As far as this particular small town, I had no car and was fine.
I also could have walked around the corner and bought coffee.
I could not have gone to the guggenheim and the used book store was permanently closed.
As an artist that makes noise, I have questions about whether my worry and holding back volume-wise has led to my significant loss of vocal power over the last 5 years.
The neighbor issue is partly why I gave up my admittedly sporadic flute playing.

I loved running up a mountain and picking watermelons and cucumbers out of the yard I shared.
I am not the kind of person that appreciates a lot of artificial external stimulus.
The trees, the dirt, the deer, the hills, the moss, the wild berries, the space, the quiet, the privacy and ability to make noise are all pretty cool to me.

I came back voluntarily, and I understand why others may choose to live here.
I went to Sidewalk last night and saw about 25 great songwriters in one room.
I also have searched for an affordable room to rent for two weeks now with no luck.
I make under $1,500 a month, yet emailed a woman about an $800 room. (She never got back to me.)
If I am to continue to sing--or if I am going to be in a band, we will have to rent space to rehearse--not cheap.
I am more suited to live somewhere else than maybe some people are.
I also can transfer to any of 100s of other branches of the company I work for--provided they need someone and I am willing to take a paycut in most cases.

So, I totally agree with you.

PS I totally am of the opinion that relationships are what is important--that and being where you can be of most help in the broadest sense of the term.
I'd rather live in a concrete maze and have meaningful deep kind relationships with other people and animals than live in the country and be mean or unhelpful.
What I was originally hoping is that people I knew and liked would move to the country so we could have the wilderness externally as well as internally.
Whether that is ever meant to be or not remains to be seen (or it may be meant to be for a year, then not for a year, etc.
I haven't a clue.)

ray's picture
ray
estimated monthly payment - $129 - 5 bedrooms, 3 baths...
rachel's picture
rachel
that's crazy

sometimes I forget how much it costs to live here in comparison to so many other places.
I thought about moving so I could buy a house. I lived upstate briefly over the summer and realized it's not for me. Nice to visit but ultimately a bit too slow...I guess you get what you pay for. Still, I agree "the rent is too damn high"

I am more interested in keeping (renting) a home here and eventually buying something close by...Hudson or accessible via metro north?
But you definitely don't get Georgia prices if you stay in NY