suggestions on good hiker backpack and touring computer devices!

7 replies [Last post]
nan's picture
nan

hi guys
where can i get a cheapish but good hiker backpack?
i am going to use it for our upcoming schwerve tour where we're travelling by train.
also
any suggestions on mini laptops
or good iphones smart phone computer phone type situations that are good for touring?

tellll me.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Nan

My suggestion would be to drop the "cheapish" criteria and spend a bit.

I recently spent $45 for a lightweight backpack for running after looking for a cheap one and after grumbling about how it is very thin and light and shouldn't cost so much, but you know what, it works perfect and has proven to be well worth what I spent.

You tour regularly and better backpacks really are better, and some of them can be quite comfortable to wear, which is important while touring.
As much as I feel weird saying it, I'd take a trip over to Paragon's and try some on.
You can put them on and jump up and down.
I'd allow myself as big a budget as I could get away with.
A good one will last you.

PS I feel like an idiot (or a salesman).

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Eastern Mountain Sports

Paragon is good, but I prefer Eastern Mountain Sports on Spring and Broadway. I'm with Barry...get a good pack. I have one that my wife had and the quality is worth every penny, plus the warranties are usually better (if not lifetime).

Good hiking gear is durable but also light with padding that will give you some support.

If you act fast, you might find something on Craigslist used by searching for "hiking backpacks"
http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/spo/2140410624.html

As far as a laptop is concerned, it depends on what you are using it for. I got an iPod touch, 1st generation, used for about $80 on eBay. The earliest models are still powerful enough to run any calendar, organizational tool that I need on them. They also have software for syncing with Google Cal.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
LL Bean. You can't kill their

LL Bean. You can't kill their backpacks. My kids tried, they failed! The backpacks survived!!

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

thefools's picture
thefools
electronic device

Nan- I got a nook for christmas. It's an electronic book reader (like a kindle), but I was surprised to see it also has internet access. You can't watch videos on it, but from what i can tell it does everything else. (it can't do facebook chats either, but the new nookcolor might be able to do that) I was thinking it would be great for taking on tour. You can load tons of books, magazines, and newspapers on it, many of which are free to download. It plays mp3s, has some games and also a section for contacts. I have the cheaper version which is around $150. The newer nook, which is all color and a little bigger has the same att internet access as an iphone, but you dont have to pay the monthly fee (i'm pretty sure). It's around $250. It comes with other stuff too. Heres a link. I love it...Jenfool

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Barnes and Noble

I don't use them, so I didn't really pay much attention, but they have a section in the front of the B. and N. in Union Square with this stuff.

nan's picture
nan
oh wow

wow this nook looks amazing because i am a HUGE reader. funny how i used to be snobby about kindles but now that i can't carry much stuff on tour but love to read this nook looks perfect.
and to get internet access too.
thanks jen!!

thefools's picture
thefools
hello

i would recommend going to barnes and noble to try each nook out before you make a decision. the main reason being because the newer more expensive nook is a full touch screen, while the older nook has only a small touch screen, which i have found can make it a little tricky to scroll the web at times. i still love my nook (the cheap one), but the extra $100 may be worth it... also because it gives you wifi, so you'll never have to go looking for it. only other thing i'll say is that if/when you buy a nook, you'll want to buy a case for it. they are all nice but not cheaper than $30. bit of a racket, but i guess it's to be expected. good luck! -jenfool