any knowledgable computer tech people out there? i gotta question.

5 replies [Last post]
nan's picture
nan

ok, i did it.
i bought an ipod itouch and am very happy with it so far.
however my itunes on my mac laptop will not sync with my new ipod because my laptop runs on a 10.4 mac osX, and my new ipod is the latest version- a 4th generation.

the apple people said i needed to upgrad my mac to snow leopard or leopard and then it'll sync.
it is $129 for a "mac box set".

anyone know of a cheaper way to upgrade my mac?

LP's picture
LP
Mac system software isn't

Mac system software isn't protected, you can install it from borrowed discs or whatever. There is a slight quirk though.. I *think* there are two colors of install discs. Grey & white. They grey are for that model specifically, and the white are "universal." It might be the other way around, or maybe they've changed it. Anyway, if the discs are for another model, it won't cause harm, it just won't install.

I don't think you need snow leopard either, leopard should work fine.

Alternately, get an older touch, they're all quite nice. The camera is probably the biggest difference.. some apps won't run, but you'll probably never notice the diff. Ben got a 1st gen on my recommendation, I think he's happy with it.

Costello's picture
Costello
Additionally

What mac do you have? Is it an iBook or a MacBook?

Leopard's the way to go, agreed. Snow Leopard really only cooks on the newer machines.

Borrowing discs is definitely also the way to go. If for no other reason, because I don't think Apple sells Leopard any more, they only sell the newest OS (Snow Leopard).

Call me if you have more questions!
-D

Yes. I wrote this.

nan's picture
nan
thanks guys! I have a

thanks guys!
I have a macbook.
yeah i think i can do a cheaper upgrade than the apple store thingy.
i am also needing to buy an external hard drive, so any opinions on the best and cheapest one of those - send em my way!
(yes i never backed up my 2007 macbook. oy. while i'm upgrading i'm just gonna do all this stuff).

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I am very happy with the 1st

I am very happy with the 1st generation podtouch. A little patience will let you one on ebay for around $80.

Costello's picture
Costello
one more question

With a MacBook you could upgrade to Snow Leopard (and I could help you with that but I think Bee K has my discs). What probably matters the most is how much RAM your computer has. Normally MacBooks from 2007 have 1GB or so, but if you could upgrade to 2GB (some early Macbooks go to 3GB) then a new Operating System would run much more smoothly.

That would give you at least another year out of yr computer.

And all the whizz bangggg of Snow Leopard.

D

Yes. I wrote this.