Good News about healthier food

35 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

A step in the right direction. You go Ms. First Lady!
-----
Wal-Mart to make, sell healthier foods
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/20/AR201101...

"Here to do great things."

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
From Every Angle This is Shitty News

The President's wife doing PR for Wal-Mart?
Really?

This is a travesty.

Wal-Mart will continue to reek havoc no matter what they sell.
This is going to make it harder for small farmers in many ways.
For one, a local farmer at the farmer's market won't be able to compete price wise.
Wal-Mart sometimes takes a loss on a few products to get people through the doors.
After buying cheap and then lowering the price again, a lot of morons who don't look at the big picture and the real costs are going to shop there and not at a farmer's market or co-op.
Wal-Mart will buy from big corporate organic farmers that abide by the letter of the law but have no interest in health and the small farmers, or anyone that does not go along will be screwed.
I hate Wal-Mart
"The First Lady" is either stupid, evil, or both.

MMM's picture
MMM
Millions of people don't have

Millions of people don't have access to local farmers markets. This is good for those people. I disagree that this is going to hurt small farmers so much, certainly no more than Whole Foods. It might even help them by drawing more attention to this kind of stuff. See Food Inc. There's some stuff about this in there. People who wanna buy their stuff at farmers markets are not going to Walmart for their food. If Walmart starts to buy more local that can begin to turn things in the right direction. If there is any hope for the future. the green movement and corporate American are going to have to start learning how to dance to the same drum. This is a first step in my opinion. I think it's good.
http://thebreakthrough.org/about.shtml

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Would it be more noble to not address this shit?

Shopping at Wal-Mart is a harmful thing to do.
Supporting Wal-Mart is possibly even worse than supporting Whole Foods.
You didn't zing me by mentioning them. (Not that you said you did).
You think I am fumbling through life and am unaware of the similarities between WFM and Wal-Mart?

You do realize that WFM looks at blogs and fires or reprimands people who speak against the company don't you?
You do realize that to a small extent I am placing almost 5 years of seniority on the line by addressing this I am sure.
The companies you mention both do harm.

There is nothing good about anyone buying stuff at Wal-Mart.
The total cost for their products is exhorbitant.
It's not the answer to healthy eating.
Organic food is not important if you have to destroy your soul (and other people's livelihoods) to acquire it
Dole Organics may not be an answer.
It may be a problem.
To some extent, it's relative.

What's not relative is the fucking president's wife doing a fucking promo/PR stunt for a company responsible for so much economic/ecological destruction.
I find that grotesque.

MMM's picture
MMM
I wasn't trying to zing you.

I wasn't trying to zing you. We can say Trader Joe's if you want. I do not shop at Walmart because I don't have to. If I did then I would be happy about this news. I don't support Walmart but to get a company as big as Walmart to make these kinds of changes is a step in the right direction in my opinion. Your opinion is clearly different. Outside it's America.

-I think if you got fired for what you have said on this board about your employer you would have a pretty good looking lawsuit against them.

-Also if you are worried about things I would recommend using an alias for your user name.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
MMM and Barry area both right

This is really just a step, and without any further "action" it really isn't anything other than a PR move by Wal-Mart. I will accept that Michelle Obama's concern over the American diet/weight problem is genuine, but this really is just scratching the surface. The idea of cheaper vegetables is a good one. Less salty/sugary processed food is still processed food. Another part of the initiative is also bringing special Wal-Mart stores to the inner cities - whatever that means. And I would love to know a bit more about what that means.

Also, I know very little about farm subsidies, but I know that it makes a difference whether a farmer is growing to sell their crop whole or for processed foods. Maybe someone could fill me in on this.

Finally, there was a brouhaha in 2007 when Barack said he wouldn't shop at Wal-Mart because of their anti-union stance (and again, I'm grabbing this from a loose skimming of some articles, know little about it). At that time Michelle dropped off some sort of board of directors related to Wal-Mart. I'd like to know where Wal-Mart stands with unions and worker treatment these days. Have they changed? And if not, why has the the Obama family changed.

A corporation is a corporation. I'm as much a sucker for "A Christmas Story" as the next person, so if I hear something about a company wanting to "make a difference" I would love to given them the benefit of the doubt that they are having a change of heart like Scrooge and earnestly passing out Xmas turkeys to all the peasants. But Wal-Mart has a history of being a problem, and when you have a history like that you simply don't get to make a move without some healthy skepticism being thrown your way.

MMM's picture
MMM
A fair assessment. I'm

A fair assessment. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I never said I support Walmart. I hate a lot of what they represent but like I said in all of my posts so far, I think this is a step in the right direction.

Costello's picture
Costello
Did anyone get Junk Mail from Walmart?

I know they're trying to move into NYC, I think the plan now is to open a bunch of smaller stores, a la Duane Reade than to put any megastores in Manhattan / Brooklyn.

I got a postcard in the mail the other day FROM WALMART telling me to support THEIR cause. That I would definitely save money if Wal-mart came into my neighborhood. Do you think they target poor neighborhoods? Hmmm.

Is it any worse than Family Dollar? We already have those.

I'm all for Wal-mart selling Organic Foods in the suburbs. I am glad those suburbs almost universally have some kind of Farmer's Market, too. It would require an awful lot of reprogramming to get all people out of the big box mentality. I don't know if our energy is well-spent there. Better just to offer more choices, and hope the supporters of the local farms grow in number.

Of course, buying local food is better and Walmart's carbon footprint is already through the roof. Maybe this will bring it down? I'd prefer to get a bushel of fresh tomatoes from Upstate NY in the summer, and peel and freeze them, than buy cans of organic Muir Glen tomatoes shipped from California. At a certain point being organic can mean supporting factory farms, which I think we'd be hard pressed to say is optimal. But not everyone wants to peel and can their own tomatoes.

Yes. I wrote this.

LP's picture
LP
Mixed feelings

I have a hard time putting an absolute label on this as bad news or great news.

Why do millions of people not have access to farmers markets? Why is so much stuff that barely qualifies as food sold at such low prices nationwide? Could these things be at least partially results of federal policies, like.. oh.. food subsidies? Or municipal policies like siting for markets? Do we need a mega-corporation that has a clear financial interest in organics, but a less obvious philosophical commitment to aid in correcting this, or that putting faith in the wrong people?

That said, companies like Stonyfield farms have definitely raised the profile of organics. At the same time, companies like Organic Valley and Dean/White Wave have been caught in scandals which expose their mixed interests.

And yes, this WILL be a challenge to local farmers. On that point I have no doubts. Wal-Mart moves huge quantities of everything, large enough that it will be logistical challenge for them to involve small farms or even regional distributors that act as the representatives of local farms.

All in all I'd call it a step in the right direction, but on the wrong path.

MMM's picture
MMM
I feel like there are 2

I feel like there are 2 issues here.
1. People gaining access to more affordable, healthy food.
2. Local/small farmers and the effects of food industry on the environment.
And I think you're going to lean a little more one way or the other depending on which one of these issues is more important to you. I believe in a balance. For now a part of me feels like concentrating more on number 1. might help make 2. happen as a residual effect. Of course it's complicated.

Of course, I see the potential for hurting local farmers. I'm having a hard time understanding what people mean when they say "local farmer." Do they mean small farmers? There is big difference between Stonyfirld farms and the guy with 20 acres that brings his stuff to the church parking lot on Sundays. It seems to me like small farmer's markets and local organic farms are more popular than ever. But I still feel like in the way I would never buy produce at Walmart some people will never go to a farmer's market.

To me it feels like an issue of distribution. Food subsidies are a matter of government regulation. This is influenced by us and some might argue more by large corporate lobbyists. If Walmart creates more of a demand for more affordable, healthy food then perhaps this will be a way to shift those lobbyists towards helping subsidize farmers that produce more healthy organic foods?

MMM's picture
MMM
Healthy Food and

Healthy Food and Wal-Mart
"Leslie Dach, executive vice president of corporate affairs and government relations for Wal-Mart, talks about the company's new healthy food initiative and its continued campaign to open up a store in New York City." http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2011/jan/21/healthy-food-and-wal-mart/

Another really good article here: http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2011/01/the-meaning-of-walmarts-...

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Missing the Point

You folks do understand that like it or not, Walmart IS the nation's largest grocer so the fact that they're making these changes is a good thing. Since most folks nationwide are shopping there anyway at least they'll be offered better options.
Whether people should shop there or not is a whole 'nother discussion.
While I'm living about 20 miles outside of Charleston, I'm in the middle of no where. There are 3 developments of about 2500 homes total in this plantation. The closest supermarket is Walmart which is about 12 miles away. There are 3 other supermarkets, but they're about another 3 miles farther away. Charleston does have a weekly farmers market, but when you got a family wanting dinner & you're working full time you're not about to drive 40 miles round trip & pay more for produce then you can at the local Walmart, which is a lot closer & cheaper. Sure, we can drive over to the Publix, BiLo or Food Lion, but they're no better than Walmart, just more expensive for the same bag 'o lettuce.
Now, I'm not saying its right or wrong, its just how things are.
On the upside, Walmart would never make it in NYC. The unions are too strong there, you have easier access to farmer's markets & fresh local produce.
We barely have unions here. A little over 5% of our population are in unions. We're a "Right to Work" state, meaning you don't have to join a union to get a job. Yet folks wonder why everyone is so under compensated for their jobs.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Do people think that Walmart

Do people think that Walmart and similar large companies, by eliminating more human beings working to produce all of the goods they sell for cheap, outsourcing other work to foreign countries. and by discouraging unions, are creating an environment where cheaper vegetables are appreciated by people because their jobs have been eliminated in order to cut costs? If people actually had jobs again that were tied into the production of goods, would they be able to afford slightly more expensive vegetables? Why is it that people can't afford slightly higher priced produce, and how is it that Walmart and companies like it might be connected with that.

"Like it or not," well, I guess I see what you're saying, Jeannie. But it's important that people are reminded--and it's not going to come out in a Michelle Obama speech--that the businesses like Walmart who are now trying to "serve the underprivileged" have a significant relationship with the diminishing employment opportunities (at the production level, not the retail level) that these workers and their families used to live off of.

Or am I just talking out my ass?

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
It all depends on who you're

It all depends on who you're talking to Ben.

Seems down here, and in most of the south I'm told, they are anti-union. Our governor is even being sued for vowing to fight unions from starting up mostly due to Boeing moving their operations down here (reason they moved here is cause of the lack of unions with just over 5% of the SC working population belonging to a union) SC is a "Right to Work State" meaning anyone & everyone is entitled to work without having to join a union in order to do so, which sounds great in theory cause people shouldn't have to pay someone in order to have a job, until you realize that most folks are earning under $10/hr & have to work 2 jobs just to keep their heads above water & they don't get any benefits to speak of and folks are thrilled to have Walmart as a place to shop & work.
And they sure love their Walmarts! Why? I dunno.
Don't get me wrong, we have pretty much the same stores as in NY & everywhere else, and the big push down here is to BUY LOCAL! They even have ads everywhere asking folks to move at least 10% of their spending to local businesses & to avoid the chains whenever possible and I gotta say, folks do try & stay local, but its rural down here, its not like you can walk to the market or take a subway or bus. Its a hike over to Mt. Pleasant & you have to pay to park in Charleston. Local businesses, such as bars & restaurants, advertise that they only use local produce & seafood in their menu's yet there's always a crowd outside of Olive Garden, which I gave a shot & for the life of my I can't figure out why people go there to dine when their are so many better & cheaper local places to dine, but people do. Go figure.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
reply and some questions

The true cost of shopping at Wal-Mart is astronimical.

Like Ben said, you don't need to shop at Wal-Mart if you don't have places like Wal-Mart making sure you earn less than you would otherwise.

You have places like Wal-Mart because you have people willing to shop there.
You have people willing to support the destruction of there own (or there neighbor's) living wage.

What is at least one of the bottom lines here?
Is it that a lot of Americans are ignorant? If so, why are they?
Is it that a lot of Americans are selfish, and somehow are telling themselves that all the non-monetary costs of a Wal-Mart product are paid by someone else, so fuck it?

I mean the "They don't know any better" argument presents the question "Why don't they know better?"
I am not a superman, and I have a lot of maturing to do still, but I was brought up in suburbia with T.V. and hot dogs, and fireworks, and two cars, etc. and I slowly woke up (to the extent that I am so far awake) and I am not even very smart.
It comes down to this, if you are sincerely interested in knowing the truth and doing the right thing you slowly but surely get better at it.
So, the question remains, why are so many Americans still stuck in it?
Why are people shopping at Wal-Mart or buying sweatshop clothes where it's $3 a shirt at the expense of their fellow human beings and the Earth.
Pure fear and selfishness?

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Its called not being able to

Its called not being able to afford more than that $3 shirt that Walmart sells & still be able to put food on the table & a roof over the heads of your children. You don't think about the whole shebang, you're just trying to do the best for your kids today and let tomorrow worry about itself.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
You are making it harder for

You are making it harder for your kids to earn a living wage when they grow up by supporting a system that keeps people from doing so.
What if your child would like to open and run a somewhat ethically run store when he/she grows up?
How can they do it, when folks like their parents won't shop there?

We have a duty to think about the whole shebang.
(No, I have not mastered this.)

MMM's picture
MMM
If a kid in a remote,

If a kid in a remote, impoverished nighborhood, spends his/her childhood eating nothing but Oreo cookies and Macdonalds for breakfat he/she's not going to grow up to be anything, period, except a strain on the Medicaid system.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Sure we do, but when you

Sure we do, but when you can't afford it you don't think much about the consequences for the long term.
There are plenty of places I would love to shop at, but my purse dictates otherwise. So what am I supposed to do?

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Little Debbies are still cheaper

Back to your original post, Matt, yes, this is a positive step. But given the complexity of the situation, it seems like such a benign, mixed-blessing step. Maybe it's the "way to go" that I didn't agree with. If we are talking about a person who is trying to better their health and they start with a small step like not eating after 7pm, I say "way to go!"

First of all, we need to remind ourselves that impoverished neighborhoods means that people are really poor. This means that even a cheaper apple is less affordable than a 25-cent zebra cake. Focusing on Wal-Marts plans to put small stores in cities like NY, while I can say that there isn't a lot of organic food in the neighborhoods I've lived in and taught in over the years, there are plenty of fruits and vegetables. I spent 3 years walking pretty much every neighborhood in the Bronx visiting public schools and when it was lunch time, there wasn't a shortage of healthy options, just healthy options that were prepared. Cheaper fruits and vegetables doesn't solve the problem of time/effort needed to cook for working class families, and this countries general attitude towards food in general: Trader Joe's epitomizes the attitude that food is something you consume as a product, not something you prepare yourself. Wal-mart's healthier, lower-priced processed options would alsol perpetuate this problem.

The neighborhood "mayor" on my street once mentioned how he wished there was a place in the neighborhood where people could get a salad, some high-quality healthy options. There were no options like that. Now, there are some options springing up, but the whole other issue of class attitude comes with them. I take Marcella on dinner dates to certain restaurants that have appeared and the prices, staff vibe and atmosphere is tailored--picking a half-baked description--to the hipster crowd with a college education and/or income level. It's clear to me that they impoverished residents are not really welcome there and the appearance of the restaurants and health food stores is a part of the gentrification wave that will push a lot of those families out anyway.

I'm out of time and this post is all over the place, but I hope you see what I'm getting at. I think this issue is way too complicated to give Wal-Mart a way-to-go, I think their motives are suspect to the point where that this initiative will not be followed by larger policy changes on their part in terms of what they sell and how they treat there workers. It's a thrown bone. They are the most powerful grocery chain in the country. They can do WAY better, but I don't think way better interests them. I'm not going to pat them on the back unless I think they've really done a 180:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LALbdGv8mBc

MMM's picture
MMM
I'm totally opposed to

I'm totally opposed to Walmart in NYC. With so many better food options it makes no sense. For me this is a separate issue than them carrying more healthy foods. I think it's more beneficial for people who do not live so closely to big cities that have more food distribution options. I agree that it's important to be skeptical of Walmart. But I support steps in the right direction.

Also Bee K, if you are frustrated by how this post is all over the place I think you might want to consider your role in that happening.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
I seriously doubt if they

I seriously doubt if they build a Walmart in the city it will be a Super Walmart that is half supermarket, half department store. Most likely it'll be like the ones they built on LI that carry home goods, linens & such, pharmacy items & clothing. They'll have an aisle to 2 with canned goods & maybe milk & bread, but that's about all.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
If I may throw down a snark

If I may throw down a snark card: unless someone else hijacked my account and made the *post*, I think I admitted my role in my own unfocused posting.

The thread--which I assume you were referring to--hasn't strayed from the original link at all as far as I can see.

:P

MMM's picture
MMM
I think I misunderstood your

I think I misunderstood your response. I realize now you were talking about your own post. Okay. Sorry about that. The temperature on this board makes it hard for me not to snark sometimes. It bit me in the ass this time. I apologize for the remark.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I think you're sexy when you

I think you're sexy when you snark.

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
Ben's right on this

This is a good sobering look at what this really means. Its a system and a culture, and Walmart (far from the only ones) "gives" with one hand while taking away with the other. Its better for there to be healthier food available, but lets keep the "celebrating" to minimum.

Ben sets a great example for us all on these sorts of topics--look closely, stay skeptical, try and see the bigger picture. I guess that's something to celebrate.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
(No subject)
MMM's picture
MMM
I wasn't planning a parade.

I wasn't planning a parade. Just bringing some attention to something I saw as some compromise on the other side. I think it's progress. Of course it's not perfect and these issues are very complicated. But I don't think this board runs the risk of being short of corporate bashing or big business skepticism. Sometimes I feel like we put our selves on this negative tape loop without considering the idea that things occasionally can and do get better.

I would recommend checking out the Break Through institute for ways that environmentally conscious groups can work with larger corporate bases to solve some of our biger problems. Shopping at the farmers market and composting your leftovers ain't gonna cut it people.
http://thebreakthrough.org/about.

freedom's picture
freedom
pr moves by entities with proven awful history is a trick

Just bringing some attention to something I saw as some compromise on the other side. I think it's progress

as others have said already, it's not a compromise, it's a trick. it's not positive progress, it'll wind up making things worse for everyone except walmarts owners and their govt partners-in-crime.

being made to dig your own grave=creating jobs

MMM's picture
MMM
Don't let your pessimism blind you to all facts

The original article is based off of a campaign by Michelle Obama to get big box stores to start selling healthier foods. This was not a choice originally motivated by Walmart. Of course Walmart is trying to use this as a chance at some positive PR. Any smart company this size would do this. I resent having to defend a company like Walmart in this thread. I do not support shopping at Walmart. I do not support all of their business practices but regardless of their track record this doesn't negate the facts. Here's a quote from the following article.

Whether their intentions are completely altruistic or just part of a greater campaign to change around what's been a rough couple of years for their image, the news was greeted with cheers by consumer advocacy groups and politicians. Walmart's grocery business accounts for 15 percent of the industry in the U.S., according to the Associated Press.

"This is a game changer," said Michael Hicks, associate professor of economics at Ball State University and author of a book on Walmart's economic impact told the AP. "If Walmart could reduce the prices on healthy food and provide access to them in more places, you could have a measurable effect on incidences of diabetes and heart-related ailments."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/20/2011-01-20_michelle_...

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Alright, who's the pessimist?

Alright, who's the pessimist?

MMM's picture
MMM
I was just addressing the

I was just addressing the various comments that "nothing" nothing good can come from this. I believe that real progress happens in small degrees. I feel like expecting 180's when it comes to large businesses or political structures you will always be let down. I think that goes for most things really.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
On a more serious note, the

On a more serious note, the video below is a lecture by Ray Anderson, who I was first exposed to in the documentary The Corporation. His short story involves reading an environmental book in the early 90s that focused on business and industry's role in destroying the environment. I believe that the book actually cited Anderson's company. The book affected Anderson to the extent that he completely changed the way his company operates. Anderson brings up a huge point about the environment, but the point applies to this discussion as well: as much as business and industry get well-deserved flak for the damage they cause to our bodies and our planet in the name of their bottom line, business and industry also offers the best hope for turning things around. They have the resources and the power to do it better than the government. And in this sense, I think there is a lot of potential for Wal-Mart to make a huge difference in people's lives. It's just that everything I've read about so far makes this seem like half-earnestness, half-strategy for bringing their stores to cities by appealing to the groups of citizens who are normally opposed to them.

Listen to a bit of this lecture if you have the time. This is the way the CEO of a company acts when he's done a moral 180 and is genuinely trying to run his company in a progressive, positive way. This is the attitude I want to hear from WalMart if they are going to get a cheer from me. According to Anderson, when he had his epiphany, the question he asked his company task force was "we're killing the environment: what can we do to make a completely sustainable, environmentally friendly company?" I see little so far that seems as if the CEOs at Wal-Mart started with soul searching and a question like, "people are dying because they aren't eating right. What can we do to change this?"

Maybe I am too cynical. I feel as if the question Wal-Mart asked was, "we're getting way too much resistance trying to open our stores in major metropolitan areas. What can we do and who can we get to endorse us in order to win these people over. And what is the minimum we need to do so that we don't significantly change the way we do business." Pure speculation on my part. But that's why I'd love to see the heads of Wal-mart running around like Bill Murray in Scrooged so I know that maybe they are really trying.

MMM's picture
MMM
Another potential postive aspect

Avoid these fats and lower risk of depression
http://www.NaturalNews.com/031244_depression_fats.html

MMM's picture
MMM
Recent news about Walmart labor disputes and building in NYC

MMM's picture
MMM