Solidarity With The Egyptian People

33 replies [Last post]
opemily's picture
opemily

This is not an Islamist Revolution- these are people sick of 30 years of dictatorship, police torture, corruption and Emergency Law. This is about Khaled Said and spreading the spirit of the Tunisians across the Arab world. Keep the Egyptians in your thoughts. They are being pelted with tear gas and rubber bullets donated to the Egyptian forces by our government.

I live outside the main area so not much is happening here. Facebook and Twitter were blocked but they're back online now. Cell phone reception is jammed in certain neighborhoods. Protests are continuing tomorrow, with a huge protest Friday after mid-day prayers.

Protesters in Suez are getting it much worse than in Cairo and Alexandria- there are not many foreign journalists there to cover it.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
journalism

Thanks opemily.
It's like we have our own foreign correspondent on OJ.
Good luck with everything.

PS Why would you say the U.S. Govt supports the establishment there?
Is it that they fear they won't be able to boss around/control whatever organization replaces the old one?

opemily's picture
opemily
Nope. We support Mubarak

Nope. We support Mubarak because of Israel.

We give them 1.5 billion in military aid (second largest amount, to Israel) because of Camp David 1979. Mubarak was key in bringing Arafat to the table. But the PA is now has the contacts with the US and Israel that we need to continue talks. We don't have any good channels with Hamas- but Mubarak loathes Hamas and conspires with the US, PA, and Israel to crush them. He's got as much blood on his hands from Gaza as the rest. So what exactly is he bringing to the table? (No word on Mubarak since this began- people say he and his family fled to London)

They shut down the stock market here because everyone was pulling out and the Egyptian market is crashing. They burnt down a police station is Suez and possibly the National Democratic Party office as well. Good for the Suez people- they are known for their resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTMhf4mrx1U (This isn't my video- but in 7:01 you can see the young man who stood in front of the water truck- Egypt's own Tiananmen Square! Also, Muslims stopping to pray and saying Allah Akbar doesn't mean they're Islamists)

Those malnourished young men in black are conscripts- doing their military service. Word is they are being stretched very thin these past few days and discontent is rising. No sign of the Egyptian army- maybe heading to Suez.

Egyptian solidarity protests occurring in the US this weekend.
New York
In front of the UN Building
1st Av with 44th street
Saturday, January 29 · 1:00pm - 3:00pm
events links:
http://on.fb.me/eiszGS | http://on.fb.me/g5MztF | http://on.fb.me/fvmJh5

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
New Jersey
Journal Square, Jersey City
Friday, January 28 · 2:30pm - 4:30pm
event link: http://on.fb.me/g4U0Wr
Washington State
Downtown Bellevue
Bellevue Way
Bellevue, WA
Sunday, January 30 · 12:00pm - 3:00pm
event link: http://on.fb.me/htvrFs
Texas
Egyptian consulate in Houston.
Capital One tower 5718 westheimer rd,77057
Houston, TX
Sunday, January 30 · 2:30pm - 3:30pm
event link: http://on.fb.me/dKDsmC

opemily's picture
opemily
British journalist was picked

British journalist was picked up during the protests and beaten by police http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-1229603
He actually posted a live account of what was happening to him on the Guardian website
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/26/egypt-protests

In cases like this, my passport won't save me- which is why I've been following the US embassy advice and avoiding the demonstrations.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
opemily, did they shut down your internet too?

I hear they shut it down.

opemily's picture
opemily
They Did Disconnect the internet!

It's back today. I'm going to write all my experiences down, but its going to take some time. A lot of stuff has been going on and I want to give you guys the latest.

I am not leaving unless my life is in danger.

Today Mubarak has been fighting back. I hope that the narrative isn't being lost- the protesters did not become violent- these guys are thugs and plain clothed police officers. They are being paid to fuck shit up so Hosni can justify cracking down on the protests. State television is putting on the most heinous anti-foreign, anti-semetic slander, which completely was absent this past week. The army is just standing by watching. This has to go forward because to go back will be terrible.

Keep the pressure on. Protest at the Egyptian consulate.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Obvious

Overall, cops/supporters/Muburak hirelings are looting/attacking and the protesters are attempting to protect the property.

Amos's picture
Amos
Supreme acts of cowardice.

Perhaps the actions taken against employees of CNN and other networks will persuade them into some accurate reporting. Enough of this "pro Mubarak supporters" tag. These guys are thugs. State sponsored thugs. The people of Egypt are doing what any free people should. They are demanding their rights. They are demanding the end to over 50 years of despotic rule. This extends to well before Mubarak's reign. Just because a state calls itself a democracy, this doesn't make it so.

Frankly, the people of Egypt are doing what we should have done back when Bush was anointed as POTUS. I bet every world leader of significance is shaking in their boots right now. If they aren't, they should be. As the main supporter of sham democracies across the globe, I imagine that this is a trying time for many American politicians. Their legacy is crumbling, and with it, their illusion of untouchable omnipotence. Events such as these illustrate, without question, the power of a united people. The peaceful protests by the people can have only one result: the ouster of Hosni Mubarak. The fact that a tyrant is resorting to violence, in the face of an untenable situation shouldn't be a surprise. It is my hope that the Egyptian Army will repudiate the Mubarak regime, as well as aggressively pursue secret police, agent provocateurs and others of their ilk.

Nutenyahoo has displayed his typical inability to empathize with his fellow man. I don't see how anyone can support his pro Mubarak stance. This is not the position of a man committed to the principles of democracy. Makes me think that folks in Israel should watch out. It almost seems like he is kind of jealous of Hosni. Maybe he wishes he could rule israel the same way Hosni has lorded over Egypt?

The U.S. position, while less disgusting than Benjiboy's, is all the more troubling for it's oh so carefully phrased press releases. Here's a chance for the U.S. to actually earn it's, (thoroughly undeserved,) reputation as the champion and world leader of democracy. But we won't take a stand on this. Weird. Really surprising, given our history of and propensity for intervention, the world over, time and time again.

I mean, Barry O. can't even say, "Hey Hosni, you've had 30 years bro. I know it's hard but, the gravy train is at the end of the line, time to get off dude." ???

For the U.S. to say that it doesn't wish to influence the politics of a sovereign nation is the hugest steaming mound of disingenuous claptrap. Once again, the U.S. will support democracy only if it serves it's own interests and is more than willing to support a dictator, if he is willing to play ball. Typical and sad.

Thankfully, the people of Egypt have decided that they'll no longer be cowed by the powers that be. I hope we see a domino effect. And I hope those dominoes reach their way across the entire globe.

I hope that the people of Egypt can maintain their resolve in the face of an increasingly violent and desperate regime. At this point, I can easily understand if Egyptians might now be advocating for the arrest and trial of Mubarak, rather than just expulsion or removal from office. He'd have only himself to blame.

I can't help bu t think of him as the violently drunk guy at the bar WHO JUST WON"T FUCKING LEAVE. Even though no one wants him there, even though the barkeep has cut him off, even though no one has a civil word to say to or about him, he ain't leaving. Maybe he's trying to get killed. He saw what getting assassinated did for Sadat's legacy and he thinks it's his ticket to immortality. He's trying ro erase decades of assholery with a dramatic ending. Good luck with that.

The people of Egypt will succeed. They will suffer, they will bleed and even die but, they will be the architects of their destiny, not Hosni Mubarak.

You should know what Sibel Edmonds knows.

Doug's picture
Doug
I Am Ashamed and Inspired

I'm ashamed that our government won't stand up for those fighting against tyranny. I can't say I'm surprised, and I understand that politics is a messy business, but listening to the impassioned pleas from those under fire in Tahrir Square while our government does little more than issue polite sound bites fills me with a deep sense of shame.

At the same time, the voices of those behind the barricades, refusing to be dislodged even as they dodge Molotov cocktails and gunfire, are truly inspiring. Earlier this evening, I heard a female demonstrator on Al Jazeera English chocking back tears as she described the resolve of her and her fellow protestors to stay in the square, in order that those who died would not have done so in vain. Bullets were ringing out in the background. I can only hope that no matter what the outcome, those brave souls will know that their actions have reminded the rest of humanity of the power of collective action as a force for change.

On the contrary, lack the moral courage by those who speak in our name to support the people of Egypt reminds me only of how far removed our government's actions are from its rhetoric.

Anybody who hasn't listened to the live audio (and watched the live video, when it's available) from Al Jazeera English should check it out: http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

opemily's picture
opemily
WTF

My boyfriend is an officer in the military. He tells me its the Palestinians behind this. The Americans. Israelis, and Qatari media are trying to make Egypt look bad. I ask how, he says the protesters recieved training in the states. I reminded him HE has been trained in the states as part of US-Egyptian military partnership.

He's not the only person I know who's saying this. A lot of people I know are tired of the unrest. I want things to go back to normal too- but I don't want the protesters to fail. Egyptians deserve change and to choose how they want to be governed.

They're chasing foreign journalists and attacking them- for the first time in Egypt, I'm worried for my safety. My roommate and I talked about going on a short trip- either Beirut or Dubai for a week but we're worried we won't be let back in.

Mostly I'm just sad and cooped up. I wanted to go join the protests tomorrow- but with the violence the past two days, I think I'll stay in.

Amos's picture
Amos
Reaction to PM's address?

Is there a consensus among Egyptians in regards to the Prime Minister's address?

I mean, state thugs continue to employ violent tactics, according to Aljazeera. Apologizing for violent acts and promising investigations, while the violence continues, seems to be a very blatant attempt to test the collective will of the pro democracy protesters, while attempting to give the appearance of working towards resolution. Pretty despicable.

Emily, I do hope you can stay safe and out of harm's way.

P.S. IBA News(Israel) just ran the biggest piece of shit propaganda "interview" ever. Prof. Hillel Frisch just attempted to imply that there "weren't that many" protesters demanding Mubarak be removed. He must be watching Egyptian State TV. Attempting to minimize the size of the protests by saying they are "only a few hundred thousand" is laughable.

I do think it is kinda weird that I haven't heard any news about Suez in the last two days or so.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
I will say one thing.

Should Mubarak step down, I believe he should be left alone and allowed to remain in Egypt.

Amos's picture
Amos
I think I understand...

where you're coming from but, at this point, if I were an Egyptian citizen, engaging in peaceful protest, and my former President was suspected of sending paid thugs to launch violent attacks and turning criminals loose to loot businesses and destroy property, I'd want him to answer for that. His chances for a "dignified" exit are reduced, every single minute that he refuses to step down.

I think, had he just stepped down when millions of his countrymen demanded he do so, he could've just walked away. Did you know that the Mubarak family is worth some $50 billion dollars? If I was an Egyptian citizen, I'd want to take a very careful look at his books before he waltzes off into the sunset.

I also have a feeling that survivors of wrongful imprisonment and torture and the families of the dead and disappeared would want to address the man they feel is responsible.

I think he is entitled only to a fair trial. Freeze his assets and use the money to repair the damage done by his thugs. When that's done, pump the remainder directly into the domestic (non military) economy. If he really loves Egypt as much as he says he does, that shouldn't bother him too much. Mubarak is personally worth about $15 billion. People are living on $2 a day. He could totally afford to buy dinner for the entire country and I think he should. To let the people know he really cares.

Not an attack against you Barry, we just disagree. And that's okay.

freedom's picture
freedom
hold politicians accountable

wow, it'd be amazing if american presidents were held to that standard. the last few u.s. presidents (incl current one) all directed lots of mass murder and torture, and they're all having good lives now with no criminal records.

Amos's picture
Amos
Hey Freedom!

You should check out the "Indict Bush" thread, you'll have a blast! It's a little further down the page, or possibly page 2.

Or perhaps the "No chocolate for Dubya" thread. Also very enjoyable plus, the OP has a supercool icon/thumbnail thingy.

Did anyone get to see the whole Mubarak interview today? If you missed it you must do a search to see it. It's a contender for Top 10 Super Surreal Moments in Politics.

After one of the most anti climactic moments I've ever lived through, I stumbled upon this gem: http://christwire.org/2011/01/as-egypt-descends-in-chaos-should-sarah-pa...

The above link is some of the most hilariously batshit crazy unintentional intentional satire I have ever read. Even better, the guy tends to answer his comments. I can't wait to check out the main site. If this doesn't prove, once and for all, that zealots and politics don't mix, I just don't know what will. So much better than the Onion.

Ok, I got some mixed race soda bread in the oven, if I don't get it out soon, it turns into biscotti.

opemily's picture
opemily
HE STEPPED DOWN

YAY!!! GOING OUT TO CELEBRATE! NO MUBARAK NO SOLIMAN! YAAAAY

Amos's picture
Amos
Amazing.

Really beautiful pictures of celebrations on the TV.

Proof that peaceful protest is a viable means of effecting change, on a nationwide scale. I hope this sends a message to people in other despotic, sham democratic regimes. Unity is power.

Beautiful.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
it's no more or less than what it is

They are going to still see if they can trick the people.
They may get the protestors to go home by changing some figureheads.

The U.S. is pro-dictator for the most part regarding other countries, so is probably in favor of known torturer Omar Suleiman taking over.

If the masses are cheering for freedom, they will find the new government unable to deliver.

Best case scenario I can see is that Egypt's governing body will be the most transparent on Earth, for a while, surpassing America easily, but over time the power will corrupt.

Nothing is dignifiably sustainable accept the absence of all rule.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Is the absence of all rule

Is the absence of all rule sustainable?

opemily's picture
opemily
I just came back from Tahrir.

I just came back from Tahrir. Amazing. I've been living in Egypt on and off for 5 years and I've always been afraid of big crowds because as a female, I usually get harassed and groped by random strangers. That didn't happen at all tonight. Everyone is very very happy here. No anti- foreigner shit either. It was better than the African Cup celebrations. I have photos and video which I have to upload and post.

Soliman is not in control right now- its the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces. Besides, the Egyptian people have woken up. These are not the same Egyptians I met in 2006, who only cared about their country when it came to football. If the army doesn't hand over power, they will take to the streets again.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
----------------------

Well, I certainly hope for the best for them all, I just know that whoever they give power to will..well..wield power over them.
Now if they avocated no one be in power I could see a real chance of permanent happiness.
Give someone power, and it's the beginning of the end.
So here comes a new beginning for them. it will be followed by what all new government beginnings are followed by. Tyranny.

PS I know, "Godammit, Barry, will you let them have their victory and piss off?"
It's just that this is about the millionth time this has happened since man started putting someone in charge.
I trust their motives, I just believe that like the naive one's that got on the Obama wagon, it won't lead to the freedom they think it will.

PPS My belief about this is not at odds with my belief that those protesters that were killed standing up for what they believed in were heroes.

opemily's picture
opemily
Well the thing is- Egypt has

Well the thing is- Egypt has been rotting for decades on the inside. There has been some real ugliness. I asked a friend a few months ago what happens to all the Mubarak posters when he dies, and he gave me the most panicked and frightened look ever. People used to be caught by the police and disappear- there was zero accountability.

I don't expect Egypt to become utopian- but they deserve to have:

1. Legitimate elections and presidential term limits. No more Presidents for life.
2. Ability to criticize their leaders and government without penalty in the traditional media. Actually, there shouldn't be government run newspapers, TV, or radio at all.
3. I don't know if the state should re-nationalize all the industries, because they did that and it didn't work, but there should be government regulation of industries- no more Ahmed Ezz types.
4. No Emergency Law and no State Security. Police should used to protect civilians and enforce the law, not protect the state against civilians.

I'm also extending an invitation to anyone who wants to visit Egypt. You can come stay at my place.

MMM's picture
MMM
It's so cool that you are there

So perhaps it will be easier now to visit Egypt? I have a friend who lived in Cairo for some time and he said it was pretty intense. It's so cool that you are there during this time. Thanks so much for sharing your unique insight into this historic event.

Cheers!!!

"Here to do great things."

opemily's picture
opemily
Algerians are taking to the

Algerians are taking to the streets tomorrow. Moroccans Feb 20??

MMM's picture
MMM
I've also heard that there

I've also heard that there are rumblings in Jordan as well.

MMM's picture
MMM
Some intersting quotes I

Some intersting quotes I found from this article:

"Some unrest continued in Cairo, as about 500 police officers, demanding higher wages, marched through Tahrir Square and blocked the entrance to the Interior Ministry. Workers at state banks held sit-ins, forcing Egypt's central bank to declare Monday a bank holiday. The antiquities-rich Egyptian Museum reported that two statues of King Tutankhamen and 16 other artworks had been looted."

"For the near term, at least, the man running the country is Tantawi, 75, a close ally of Mubarak's who served under him as defense minister and commander in chief of the armed forces."

""Tantawi does not have ambitions to run for president. No one in the supreme council has that wish," said Hosam Sowilam, a retired major general and former military college classmate of Tantawi's. "We are military people. We don't want to indulge in any political matters. We want to only participate in defending our territory and preserving the independence and stability of the country.""

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/13/AR201102...

I also found this helpful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Brotherhood

Amos's picture
Amos
Here's another for ya...

http://www.linktv.org/programs/shayfeen

Amazing grassroots organization from Egypt. This is what can happen when enough people say, "enough." I mean, things have to be really fucked up if judges have to march in the streets.

MMM's picture
MMM
This is great! Thanks A!

This is great! Thanks A!

Amos's picture
Amos
Any time!

LinkTV has tons of awesome stuff. I'd never heard of it before moving out here. Haven't explored the website much but, I imagine the content is similar to their satellite channel content. Yay for being able to see all those AljazeeraEnglish broadcasts, live.

Debate on Patriot Act extensions starts in about ten minutes. Even though it's only a one year extension, for certain provisions, this is dangerously huge government legislation, and it should be scrapped. But republicans and democrats will continue to attempt to terrorize the public by playing the terror card. So very dishonest.

Right now, I'm listening to Ann Coulter spew ignorance, lies and bigotry all over CPAC. The people there can't seem to lap it up fast enough. I wish she would just go away.

opemily's picture
opemily
CPAC scares me more than the

CPAC scares me more than the Muslim Brotherhood. :p

MMM's picture
MMM
Perhaps it's a bit like

Perhaps it's a bit like worrying about Sarah Palin becoming President? I like that at least their policy is non-violence. The MB, I mean (who the hell knows about CPAC). Regardless of what else they believe non-violence is a good start...not accepting Israel as a country, not so good. But yeah, you know I heard a US republican politician talking about the Muslim Brotherhood on the radio the other day and he said something like, "I have a strong concern for the growing popularity of religious movements in this part of the world." And it made me think some politician in Egypt could be saying the same damn thing about the friggin' Tea Party in the US.

opemily's picture
opemily
Police, Army, Artists, Man Behind Omar Soliman, Future of Egypt

I don't know how I feel about police protests. I understand why a lot of people are mad at them, but a lot of these guys are in the same boat with the rest of the Egyptians- especially the low-ranking ones. They always looked malnourished in ill-fitting uniforms, and I caught them sleeping at their posts all the time. Also, being a police officer meant your family got extra subsidies like sugar, tea, and bread. There were plenty of bad apples who used their power for ill, but I can also see some of them following orders so their families in the village can eat. I do like the fact that even the police officers can take to the streets and express their discontent with the way Egypt has been. I'm not a fan of the military trying to crack down on the labor protests. The people have been silenced for 30 years and the fact that the army is trying to shut them up again so fast does no bode well for the future of Egyptian labor.

Secondly, as artists, how are you guys feeling about the January 25 blacklist? A lot of famous actors, singers, and TV personalities are getting a lot of crap for backing the regime or being too slow on announcing support for the protesters. Except, in Egypt- the music and film industries have very close ties to the government. Actors and singers who make comments against the regime and their policies would find it difficult to work. That's why you got songs like "I hate Israel (But I love Hosni Mubarak)" It was pretty much required to suck up to the government. So should the Egyptian people really blame these entertainers for choosing their career over the revolution at first, or are the protesters right and they are stooges for the government and should be punished for taking the wrong side. I'm on the fence on this one too.

Another weird story is the Alexandria New Years Church Bombing. Now the former Minister of the Interior is being blamed for it, saying he orchestrated the attack to "teach the Copts a lesson". Now- I knew the Hamas/Palestinian explanation was always bullshit, but I can't help but wonder if people just want to get rid of Adly, so they want to blame everything that goes wrong on him. It's still trying to brush away Muslim-Coptic tensions.

The man behind Omar Soliman is my new favorite meme, but it worries me that he and the military are taking offense to it. As far as memes go, its not offensive and I worry about institutions that can't appreciate a good joke. Theres all the sucking up to the Egyptian youth, but I still don't think the military really understands them- which might cause problems later on. First step for the Egyptian military- let the meme run its course- people are only photoshopping him in some photographs- and theres no ill will towards the guy. He just had a humerous facial expression and some shifty eyes.

MMM's picture
MMM
Secondly, as artists, how are

Secondly, as artists, how are you guys feeling about the January 25 blacklist?

An important aspect of freedom in any country is the right not to protest. Of course people also have the right to bring light to people and companies that support certain political ideologies. Personally, if I was required to filter my subject content in order to make a living at music I would probably just not be making a living at music. But for some, making music is just a job that they were trained for like making a car or building parts for a tank. Would I blame someone for making parts for a tank to support a negative regime just so that they could support their family??? Probably not.

If I was threatened physically for wanting to make the music I wanted to that would be a different story. Or if I was required to make certain kind of music over penalty or harm to my loved ones that would be different as well. I'd say if artists want to not be black listed then they should prove themselves as now supporters of the revolution and the right for Israel to exist. Now that they have the freedom they should use it.
---
I confess, my knowledge is limited about the subjects you spoke of in your last 2 paragraphs but they inspired me to do some research and I find it all very fascinating. Thanks so much again for your input on this board about this stuff. I think a key to learning to operate successfully, politically speaking, in a country that allows free speech is that you don't have to react to every little thing that is said about you. But you do have to acknowledge and accept that people have differing opinions and everyone is looking for justice.

opemily's picture
opemily
Libya and Bahrain!

Protesters Libya and Bahrain have taken the ball and started the process to get rid of an Arab despot in 30 days or less. Libya started 2 days early, since Gaddafi said he was going to march with his citizens tomorrow against the government. The man is so crazy sometimes its brilliant.

Expect more hemming and hawing from the US about Bahrain. There is a huge American naval presence there. The majority of the population is Shia and they are oppressed by a Sunni monarch, so expect lots of talk on Iranian influence from the pundits. Its oil reserves are much smaller than its neighbors and the fact that its a short drive over the bridge from SA makes it like a little Arabian Tijuana (lots of booze and prostitutes).

Not quite sure what happened to Algeria. The problem is Algeria isn't a big media hub in the region so its hard to get the word out as quickly. I think Libyans may face the same problem. Bahrain might go through with it. The King already made speech number 1.