4 replies [Last post]
speakerb's picture
speakerb

anyone out there have any knowledge of using/hooking up a patchbay for a recording studio?

i keep finding myself reaching to the back of my gear to switch inputs or change outputs, etc. and knowing what a patchbay is capable of, i think i'm ready to make that leap. but the thought of hooking it up and the different plug options make it seem like a daunting task for a newbie.

if anyone has any knowledge in this area and is interested in lending a hand, i would be so grateful.

Image: 

domo arigato

LP's picture
LP
Elaborate, if you please..

Whatya mean by different plug options? Like TRS vs. XLR, Switchcraft vs. Neutrik?

I'm sure that pro patchbays offer a bunch of crazy shit like ground-lifts, phase inverters, switchable phantom, whatever.. but a simple straight-through setup would be pretty easy, though somewhat work intensive, and there are potential issues with RF interference and whatnot.

speakerb's picture
speakerb
awesome! sounds great. lets

awesome! sounds great. lets sit down and talk about it. i'll buy you coffee.

domo arigato

speakerb's picture
speakerb
elaboration

okay, now its vital.

i have two different recording setups and i want to have access to both of them at the same time. both are 16 inputs and 16 outputs. two different units. one is digital and one is analog. i want to have a patchbay so that i can run all of my 16 inputs into IT and be able to send those 16 inputs to two different units, one being my digital source and the other my analog source. and visa verse for the outputs. i want to take all 16 outputs and be able to return them from both units.

i've read up on patchbays and it seems like they can do this senario. i just think having another complex thinker on the task would be more than advantageous, it would be marvelous. and make things move quicker and more efficient. and basically, i've read about patchbays and i still can't quite get my brain entirely around it.

here is a three part explanation of patchbays:

http://www.burninggrooves.com/articles/patchbays-explained-part-1

domo arigato

Costello's picture
Costello
let's talk

coffee sounds good.

Yes. I wrote this.