You say you want a revolution?

3 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Egypt inspires Iranian protesters; 2nd day of violent clashes in Bahrain, Yemen
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/14/AR201102...

This is very exciting. My only fear is that too much US support or input will give these regimes a chance to dismiss the revolts as "Devil" US backed movements. On the other hand, lack of US support could be seen as just that: A lack of support for the protestors. It's tricky. I was wondering what we could do as just US citizens to show our support. Does anyone know of any demonstrations or support rallies being held locally?

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Here is one of most

Here is one of most satisfactory--if not the most formal or eloquent--blog posts I've read on the revolution (Egypt, but it pertains to the others):

What I want to know is how does this affect America? What does it mean for America? In what way is it about America? To what extent does it reflect America? In what manner can we say that it was influenced by America? To what degree can we say that America affects it? How will it in turn affect America? What is its import for America? Will it be good for America? What are America's obligations? How deeply ought America be involved? How much support can America offer? America America America America. America America America. America America America America America.

That's the entire post, but the point is clear.

I think most US citizens fall into the category of being either unaware, indifferent, or helplessly frustrated by the number of undemocratic governments that their country supports in the name of its 'best interests.' It's very difficult to think of a way to support a revolution that doesn't come across as sanctimonious: we were backing Mubarak in Egypt for years (like Pahlawi, like Saddam Hussein, Noriega, etc, etc) and I can't think of a single person in my social circle, myself included, who cared much about it.

I think it is tricky. I would say the best thing that US citizens could do is let these countries have their revolution, downplay the significance of our personal support of their revolution, and focus our own protests on the actions of our own government that directly contradict the values our Constitution is supposed to represent. We aren't going to elect president within the current political system who doesn't support undemocratic governments when it's in the US' "best interest." It's not an area where I think we could realistically rally our citizens together for any significant change because as a whole, the American people feel too far removed from what's going on in those countries to take to the streets.

The question I would pose is: what are the key issues--if the American people were as informed as they could be--would get people out of their houses and into the streets? Are there any? That is what I would focus on. What are our common ground issues with our own government? The biggest impression that US citizens could make is to protest in a manner that looks more like Egypt's civil disobedience than Lollapalooza.

Amos's picture
Amos
Well, y'know...

I think the best thing we could possibly do is reign in our own corrupt government's efforts at empire building and the rampant corporate greed that propagates it. Ever hear what John Perkins has to say? http://www.johnperkins.org/ He's the author of "Confessions of an Economic Hitman". It is the practices and policies of our government and a great deal of U.S. corporate entities that contribute directly to the subjugation of millions of people, throughout the world.

I really liked the article you posted, from The Nation. I think it is time Americans took similar action. Forcing corporations to pay their taxes would be a great start. Or maybe demanding an end to the illegal wars being fought, in our names. Active boycotts of goods and services provided by companies that employ slave and child labor.

Temporary renewals of certain parts of the Patriot Act were approved yesterday. It is time to repeal the Patriot Acts and dissolve the Department of Homeland Security. The greatest threats to our freedom and democracy are right here at home. http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h514/votes

If you click on the red or blue wedges in the pie chart, you can see the names of the representatives who voted to extend provisions of the Patriot Act. 65 democrats. 210 republicans. These are some of the most dangerous people in America. These are the real terrorists. Holding imminent attack at the hands of "terrorists" over the heads of the populace like the sword of Damocles. Repeatedly invoking the horror of 9/11 in order to usurp freedoms guaranteed by the founders as "inalienable." Our current legislators, with this vote, have proved themselves utterly incapable of keeping their vow to defend the constitution against all enemies. They are, quite simply, traitors. It is they, not some faceless terrorist who has subverted our government from within.

You should know what Sibel Edmonds knows.

Chris Andersen's picture
Chris Andersen
It's funny

Normally, I'm pretty against online protests and petitions and all that. It just seems too easy to take part in and therefor too easy to dismiss, maybe? But I really feel like this is a situation where it's most appropriate.

Like, in my mind, any protest right now that one would get involved in would be either a sign of solidarity with the populace or a condemnation of the government. You'd be addressing one or both of those entities. But (and I don't know if this is true) I imagine there to be fairly strict media restrictions in most of these countries, so I'm not sure the populace would get the message via traditional media like newspapers or television; the message of support. And frankly, I'm pretty sure the government of an autocracy really doesn't care about American protesters.

As I understand it, at least in Egypt, restrictions on the internet were loosened up pretty early on in the revolutionary process (I also don't know if this is true, but I feel it is?).

In any case, if I had my drothers, I think the best message the people of America could send would be something like, "We know that this is something that you have to do on your own, we hope it's successful and bloodless, we'll be waiting for you on the other side".

In response to Ben's point, I guess the main reasons that the American people haven't taken to the streets in a similar revolution against the forces that oppress us, in my mind are two fold.

1. Our current governmental and economic systems give the populace, if not actual control, then the illusion of control.
2. The majority of Americans have relatively good lives, maybe not great, but pretty good, and they don't want to rock the boat.

If you want to shake that off, you'll need to give people the idea that they are oppressed and they are not in control and their lives aren't as great as they could be. In my opinion, anyway.