"Web-Crazy"

4 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

I found this to be a really fascinating clinical study of the "E" personality. I found it pertinent to this board on occasion.

"Dr. Elias Aboujaoude, psychiatrist at Stanford University, director of the school's Impulse Control Disorder Clinic and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Clinic, and the author of Virtually You: The Dangerous Powers of the E-Personality, looks at the disturbing effects that the internet has had on his Silicon Valley patients." http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2011/feb/18/web-crazy/

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
The observations he makes are

The observations he makes are interesting. I wouldn't attach "dangerous" or "disturbing," to them, though (and he does this a bit). A lot of his arguments seem to fall into the classic "Oh No, The Children!" category. As long as I can extrapolate the gist of someone's argument, I'm all for flipping out online. And I'm especially for the breakdown of children-to-adult/teacher hierarchies that Aboujaoude mentioned.

MMM's picture
MMM
I think the guy hits the nail

I think the guy hits the nail on the head pretty much as far as how people communicate online VS. face to face. I've seen people say things to me on this message-board that I think they would never say to my face. Not that I would want them to. And I think it has rarely resulted in anything constructive. Sure the comments on Brooklyn Vegan or Youtube are funny at first but kind like how I feel after I eat a jelly filled donut, I feel like I've totally wasted my life every time I read them. I see it as a lot of people trying to relive high school. If you got bullied, here's your chance for payback. You can be a "Cyber Bully!" I think it's a bummer and the only gist I get when people are hostile in their tone is hostility.

What you call "children to adult/teacher hierarchies" I would just call adults/mentors/teachers. And I think we need them. I think its good to have an open mind but I don't think we are short of child like behavior in this world. And I don't think it's making the world an especially better place. I would like to see more sensitivity and wisdom. It's much easier to manipulate and exploit an infantilized culture. They are insecure, short attention spanned, and more self centered. In my experience, learning to communicate sensitively has been a great tool on the path to being happy and fulfilled.

The Internet is a great tool for that. And with stuff like what's happening in Egypt it can inspire some great things but it can also be used to intimidate and hurt people. Yes, the youth culture is responsible for revolution in the middle east but it's going to require a great deal of maturity and wisdom to make it work now. Personally, I've found the most constructive and rewarding exchanges in this forum to occur when people are honest, thoughtful, and civil.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Should one person take all of

I deleted the lengthier response and will stick with this question: should one person take all of the responsibility for the way another interprets tone and intent?

MMM's picture
MMM
The question is a little

The question is a little confusing to me. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you. I think it's going to depend on the scenario and what the ultimate goal is in the exhange between the parties. If we can agree that even though there are a lot of people chiming in on a forum like this, it's really only possible to have a dialogue with one person at one time. And within that dialogue a certian amount of respect is necessary if any kind of mutually satisfying goal is going to be met.

1) If an exchange is between 2 people then I would say yes. I can't see how it could be any other way than one person taking responsibility for the interpretation of the comment by another if that comment is directed at her/him? I guess simpler put: Yes, people should take responsibility for what they say. Of course people can misunderstand each other but, I believe, if both parties are honest and civil eventually people can get around to understanding each other.

1) If it's some kind of indirect response or general statement then I think that statement is up to interpretation. But as soon as it becomes a dialogue between just 2 people then the first scenero applies.