Anyone know a good place to get Muslin

7 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Or I guess anywhere I can get my hands on some cheap fabric. I need to cover the mineral wool sheets I'm lining the inside of my my amp box with. I'll need to buy several yards of it. Quality doesn't really matter as long it's clean. I just need something cheap to cover the stuff with. Preferably as close to the LES as possible. Thanks.

"Here to do great things."

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is, or was not long ago, a fabric store on...1st ave. I believe, on the east side of the road around....10th, 11th street.
I am pretty sure that that is the place I bought some muslin about 8 years ago.
Don't know if they still sell it and I am not 100% sure that is where I ended up buying it, but I am pretty sure.

MMM's picture
MMM
Thanks B. After a bit of

Thanks B. After a bit of Internet surfing I actually found an amazing place on Orchard between Stanton and Rivington. They had this stuff for a buck a yard. A sweet old Russian guy was really helpful. This place is amazing by the way. They had so much cool fabric it made me wish I could sew. There are so many cool kinds of fabric and prints. I'm kind of surprised that more people don't try to make their own clothes. It seems like such a good opportunity for self expression. It's kind of hard though. My sister gave me this mini sewing maching and it was very tough to figure out. I think it was a not so good one though.
http://www.belraffabrics.com/

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Here, here.

I have a handmade bag (I didn't make it.) and it is one of my most trusty and useful possessions.
It is also one of a kind.
I would love to buy/trade/make more one of a kind local handmade clothing.

MMM's picture
MMM
Sounds cool. My sister gave

Sounds cool. My sister gave me one of those mini sewing machines as part of my last Xmas present but it doesn't work so well. How much does a regular sewing macine cost? I'm imagining it might be hard to sew a shirt or a pair of pants by hand but maybe not? Anyone out there really into sewing?

LP's picture
LP
machines

I got my Kenmore for free off the street. It's a *solid* machine, but is only a straight stitcher, which kinda sucks.
Check out Gizmo on 1st Ave, he sells used machines, does repairs, etc. He's a salt of the earth neighborhood guy, won't sell you something you don't need, will give advice for free and not make you feel bad about it.

I'm sure there are a billion on craigslist all the time, as long as you have an idea of what model range you want, you might be able to get one for $50 or whatever. Machines are kinda like guitars, they haven't really improved the basic aspects in a long time. Maybe bobbin loading, but I don't want or need embroidery, or any of the other 5 million bells & whistles that are just another point of failure.

I'm not really an expert in this stuff. I just have a goal of someday making all of my own clothes. I'm sloowly headed there.

MMM's picture
MMM
This is great. Thanks Lippe.

This is great. Thanks Lippe. I think that's a great goal.

MMM's picture
MMM
Muslin amp iso box update

Here's a pic where you can see what I used the muslin for. Worked good!
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5296/5479282650_768154a147.jpg