RIP Jack Hardy

6 replies [Last post]
Bee K's picture
Bee K
Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
dang!

Hardy was, of course, an big part of the legend of "antifolk" getting its name, and perhaps he helped define the shape of its community, if inadvertently. My understanding is that the original "Antifolk" festival in the mid-80's was a counterfestival featuring many acts that Hardy refused to book at a "Folk" festival happening the same week.

I never followed his music. I do appreciate that he ran a club for a great many years and put out an innovative LP magazine (Fast Folk), which did feature at least one performer who was a big contributor to our community when I first hung out at Sidewalk (Charles Herold, AKA Death and Taxes). He fostered a community, even if it wasn't exactly my community, and helped support and develop at least one of my all time favorite acts: The Roches. He should be remembered and commended for these things. He made great contributions.

I suspect that his aesthetics weren't my aesthetics. But I bet there was a lot more overlap than I ever explored.

In my ignorance, I can't say much more. But rest in peace all the same.

LP's picture
LP
I went a couple times

I went to his place a couple of times.
It was really cool, I sorta wish more people I knew went.
I think the crowd rotated a fair bit, I mostly didn't go back because I wasn't seeing really inspiring people show up, but it was still really nice.

There'd be a big pot of pasta, sauce, bread, and people would eat and play new stuff. (I think it had to be new, or at least it was very much expected) His place hadn't been renovated since about 1940 from the looks of it, which was a nice backdrop to the scene.

I'd actually be into something similar. I could probably do it at my studio, it has a full kitchen.

And yeah, stuff was expected to be pretty "straight," that was mildly annoying. Anyway, still a good thing, and a good host.

MMM's picture
MMM
I really like this idea.

I really like this idea.

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
When I was overseas I used to

When I was overseas I used to host pot-luck open mics that were a lot of fun. Everyone brought food and then after dinner we drank and people took turns performing. I'd be into this.

LP's picture
LP
open-mic or open-workshop?

Hardys thing was sorta a workshop, where you would expect commentary, both positive and negative.

Are people into a general sharing thing, or something that also has a focus on getting other critical eyes on their musics?

I'm down for either. I do think it has to be known before starting though, I find ye don't get good dialogue without a ready head.

MMM's picture
MMM
I used to workshop stuff in

I used to workshop stuff in college creative writing classes and it was kind of hit and miss but I like critical input and sometimes I miss having more of it. Not for everyone though. Maybe if people did it they could announce before they played the song whether they wanted comments or not?

"Here to do great things."