Japan

5 replies [Last post]
speakerb's picture
speakerb

I am unsettled by the incredible disaster that has befallen Japan. The massive earthquake and then devastating tsunami which has wiped out a human landscape is overwhelming. The dominoes have continued to fall as explosions at nuclear power plants are causing even more fatalities and environmental damage.

And here we are again where another power source is causing irreparable damage to our Earth. What are the alternatives to oil, nuclear power, and other toxic sources of energy? Can we not learn from the mistakes of our past and find safe and effective ways? How can we move forward using these harmful fuels for our energy knowing at any moments notice we are setting ourselves up for disaster? Change is not an alternative, it is a must!

I'm in awe of the great tragedy that is happening right now on the other side of our Earth. My heart goes out to the Japanese people.

domo arigato

Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
It's awful. I can't say it

It's awful. I can't say it any better than Brian.

Of course, I am thinking about whether anyone I know might be in danger. The only person I can think of is a old regular at the Sidewalk Cafe circa 1997-8, Aki (Akimoto? Matsimoto?), who visited from Japan for a year or two and eventually played at the Apollo. He was "famous" for his song "Love Train Coming, yeah yeah". We loved him.

Has anyone been in touch with him?

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Ken Minami (Ken South Rock) is OK

I FBooked him and he got back to me.

MMM's picture
MMM
My Dad sent me this link.

My Dad sent me this link.

Pretty intense: http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

"Here to do great things."

speakerb's picture
speakerb
wow...

just Wow!

domo arigato

MMM's picture
MMM
Nuclear Energy

This is a good article that Dibs sent me with a basic description of nuclear energy and what may be happening at the Fukushima reactor in Japan.
http://www.boingboing.net/2011/03/12/nuclear-energy-insid.html

"Here to do great things."