Has anyone ever sold anything on Ebay?

5 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

What do you have to do? Is it a pain in the ass? Was it worth it?

"Here to do great things."

speakerb's picture
speakerb
ebay

i've seen stores that sell things for you. you bring them in, they photo the item, make a listing and take a percentage of the sale. not sure what kind of percentage, but its a way to make it easy on the seller.

i've never personally sold anything. just recently bought a few things and i find it to be a great way to save money on things that are really quite helpful and useful tools.

domo arigato

tjs's picture
tjs
eBay is worth it

I sell roughly 10-15 items a month and its really easy. They take a small percentage and listing fees are minimal. Paypal makes everything easier. If you dont want to throw away, or cant give away some items its totally worth listing.

beau's picture
beau
it's a pain to puzzle it out

it's a pain to puzzle it out at first, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

the thing is, don't set a reserve price, they charge extra for that; set a reasonable 'starting bid' price, one that you'd be happy to sell the item for. but even so, if it doesn't sell, you're still going to get charged a few bucks

i always try craigslist first, and if something doesn't sell the first time around, i just put it up again. i just sold something i thought i'd never get rid of, but on the fourth round about four people wanted it.

plus going to the post office and mailing to an ebay buyer is a pain - craigslist buyers come to your door.

~ beau

LP's picture
LP
I hate it all

I guess craigslist can work, but it's almost always been a nightmare for me.
I put up 3 crummy cellphones for free I had collected over a period of time. Each phone operated on a different network. I said something like "pick one, I'll set it aside. Pickup in downtown brooklyn near flatbush & myrtle ave, monday through wednesday, 9am-4pm"

Among the awesome emails I got was "I'll take them. Please deliver to..." About a million "Are they still available?" messages (without saying "if they are, I can come on this day, etc..", and a ton of questions about model #s, can I guarantee they work, etc.. They were *free* to start with.

I hate the ebay interface with a passion, but it works out ok. I've sold a fair amount of stuff. Shipping is annoying, but I generally make a box, fill it, and then post it all at one time, so I only have one trip to the PO.

Worth it? I only ebay stuff worth over $50. I don't use craigslist anymore, but maybe my experience was based on what I was selling - i.e. if I was selling a plasma TV or specific bike parts I'd have different people answering.

beau's picture
beau
If you sell on Craigslist,

If you sell on Craigslist, watch out for this payment scam.

Buyer:
I will likely make payment by check or money order as its the only way I can pay you at the moment (I am actually out of the States on a business trip). I will make arrangement for pick-up after payment have been received by you. Kindly reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent,i will appreciate if you can get the ad off craigslist so i can be sure you are keeping it in my favor .Awaiting your reply.

Me:
If you want to give me a money order for $110, I'll give you the glasses when I've received the cash.

Buyer:
Your payment has been sent but there is something i must bring to your notice now. I just discovered there is an error in the payment sent to you. My assistant sent the payment meant for another item thats more expensive than yours. I have called the post office to see if they could retrieve it but nothing positive. I really dont know what to do now. Please, once your received payment, go ahead and cash it at your bank, deduct your payment and send the balance via western union to the details i will provide you with. Can i trust you to do that for me? Please advise.

Anytime they attempt to make a deal where you provide some money back to them, turn and run! Somewhere down the line their payment source will fall through and you'll be out the money that you sent back.

~ beau