What are you listening to?

15 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Anyone hear any good music lately? New or old. But I'd like to get turned onto something new. Maybe even local? Is there a band that you think should be on OJ distro? Lemmie know.

"Here to do great things."

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Goblin

Tyler, The Creator
(don't have the cd)

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
just music

Yes Im listening to Odd Future as well--not sure if I think they are good or bad. Both, I guess.

Also listening to a lot of 80s-90s dance music--like Drizabone's Real Love (12" version), Archie Bell's Glad You Could Make It, or Dinosaur L's Go Bang (Francois Kevorkian mix).

And the wonderful 9 Types of Light.

And just this afternoon, Kung Fu Crimewave--Capitol Punishment.

Oh, and Apache by the Incredible Bongo Band (someone just turned me on to the Grandmaster Flash mix from the 80s--even better than the original which I already had).

But unfortunately nothing right now to add to the OJ Distro.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
105.5 The Bridge

http://www.1055thebridge.com/index.php

I listen to that station for the most part. They play lots of local bands in their mix. They promote local music a lot, one of the best reasons to check them out.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

honeybird's picture
honeybird
Tune-Yards

yo, that new tune-yards album is off the hook! totally recommend it
it's called W H O K I L L and came out on 19 april

u can listen to it here:
http://grooveshark.com/#/album/W+H+O+K+I+L+L/5741371?src=5

cheers

wmullin's picture
wmullin
Kickstarter bands

Here are some of the artists I have supported on kickstarter.com

Eagle Eye Williamson
The Spittin' Cobras
Renee Arozqueta
OCOAI
Johnny Houx

elisaf's picture
elisaf
I've been listening to: Des

I've been listening to:

Des Ark - "Don't rock the boat, Sink the fucker"
Low - "C'mon"
Lindsay Fuller - "The Last Light I See"
Townes Van Zandt
PJ Harvey - "Let England Shake"
Sam Amidon - " All is Well"

I just put out a new cd too, featuring Anders Griffen and Mark Ospovat, too. Check it: elisaflynn.bandcamp.com

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Marcella pretty much forces

Marcella pretty much forces me to play "SNL" by Crazy & the Brains on repeat. She knows it by heart now, even if she sings it like a teletubbie. The only other CD that she insisted I put on recently was "Becoming Free" by Barry Bliss.

If Crazy & the Brains aren't on the distro yet they should be...totally endearing antifolk band.

MMM's picture
MMM
We're working on it.

We're working on it.

"Here to do great things."

Vincent Nifigance's picture
Vincent Nifigance
New Bill Callahan -

New Bill Callahan - 'Apocalypse' is understated but great as usual.

Times New Viking - 'Dancer Equired'
is old-school Indie Rock goodness without sounding too try hard. Anyone heard that band Yuck with J Mascis' guitar sound all over it? Yuck indeed.

speakerb's picture
speakerb
i second that...

bill callahan! brook pridemore introduced me to smog and bill callahan a few years back and he has become part of my regular rotation.

domo arigato

rachel's picture
rachel
I second...

Johnny Houx...he is making a new record and what I have heard so far sounds great!
And, Crazy and the Brains...so sick it's a "no-brainer"

Listening to a bunch of cool folks on the other side of the pond while on tour...
Check out Dexter Doom and the Loveboat Orchestra...our friend Sebastian from Basel and a big group of super talented musicians. I think they may be coming to NYC to play our wedding in September so you will have a chance to see them live!
http://www.myspace.com/dexterdoom

Hugo Clarence from Dijon
http://www.myspace.com/hugoclarence

Blümchenknicker Kollektiv from Bonn, Germany
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bl%C3%BCmchenknicker-Kollektiv/13243746011...

The Pussywarmers, also from Switzerland, currently have a new cd and a very fun live band (sort of remind me of Drink Up Buttercup)
http://thepussywarmers.com/

happy listening,
rachel

Herb's picture
Herb
I just got Paul Simon's new

I just got Paul Simon's new album So Beautiful or So What (bought at a Starbucks, no less--where do you actually buy recordings when you want a real cd these days). Anyway, I'm determined to listen to it enough times to see if any of the songs grow on me. Paul Simon has been one of my main songwriting influences and I'll pretty much get anything he puts out. But like most folks, I feel that after Graceland his output has been spotty--although I'm a big fan of The Capeman and liked some of his songs on You're the One very much. I'm not sure I ever gave Surprise the chance it deserves, so there well may be more interesting material there than I noticed. However, so far with the latest album it feels sort of over-orchestrated, and some of the songs seem to self-consciously reach for meaning.

Do you think that it is inevitable that songwriters lose their facility with the genre as they grow older? Can you point to any who have kept it going well into old age? Most of the folks who were my songwriting heroes when I was younger are not producing stuff I consider very interesting at this point. How about in other areas? It seems as if in jazz some folks keep getting better with age. Merce Cunningham kept going practically until he died and same with PIcasso if I'm not mistaken. I hope this isn't too depressing since we're all getting older,.... but, for example, it kind of irks me that Paul McCartney has become a Beatles cover band, rather than coming up with vital new stuff or even finding original takes on his older material.

speakerb's picture
speakerb
here's a couple...

domo arigato

Chris Andersen's picture
Chris Andersen
Never Mind The Bullets

A buddy of mine sent me an article about an mix CD floating around the internet of early, out of print Bob Seeger tracks that has some really solid stuff on it. Ramblin' Gamblin' Man is pretty amazing.

speakerb's picture
speakerb
just listened to...

on the pa at home i just listened to Michael Jackson's Bad from beginning to end and wow, what a great record in sound and in story. the production and performances on that album are wonderful. and i love the way the backing vocals are mixed so loud on MJ's records.

i then listened to The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers. such a wonderful groove, and so many diverse styles going on. you can hear that The Rolling Stones influenced so many future bands on that record alone. also, the wonderful use of the horns recreating a vintage American South style sound of the 50's on I've got the blues. and oh, that organ solo, whew!!!! just love it!

domo arigato