A question for guitar playing women.

6 replies [Last post]
Amos's picture
Amos

If you were to begin playing guitar, at say, age 14 or so, would you want to learn on a 3/4 scale guitar, (lets just say you are pixie sized,) or a full scale guitar?

Teaching guitar to a neighbor, and I don't want the physical aspect to be any more difficult than necessary. The guitar she is using now was custom built for ENORMOUS hands and the action is pretty high. High enough for me to say, "Ooh, that action's kinda high." Like, it might be playable as a lap steel, with little or no modification. You get the idea, that action is too damn high! On the other hand, if she sticks with that guitar, her hands will be like tiny vice grips of awesomefulness.

I know that guitar center sells a "Dixie Rocks" line of instruments. They are cheap and fairly gaudy looking. Anyone seen one up close, in store? Are they real instruments or just toys designed to placate/frustrate girls who like guitars? The idea is to get her a reasonably priced starter guitar, that fits her.

Thanks fo' helps!

Oh, here's the daisy rock link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Daisy-Rock-Wildwood-Short-Scale-Acoustic-Gui...

You should know what Sibel Edmonds knows.

speakerb's picture
speakerb
my first guitar...

was a loner. i was 12 years old and my mom's friend, Rosemary, loaned me a guitar. the action was so high, it was like a bow and arrow. you could not play it past the fourth fret. but as a beginner, all i learned for the time i had that guitar was the basic chords in first position. once i had a feel for the instrument, my mom bought me a guitar for my 13th birthday. i think sticking with what you have until you've shown yourself to be truly interested in an instrument long term is fine.

that being said, maybe a new guitar will inspire her to want to play. super vice grip hands sounds pretty cool too.

domo arigato

Bee K's picture
Bee K
It is possible to play a

It is possible to play a guitar that is too big for you. "Too big" meaning that if the body is too large for your arms, you will have a hard time getting the power you need out of the instrument with your arm (or you'll work harder to get it). As far as the action, I'm not sure if a new guitar would inspire her to play, but if she has a hard time playing the one she has, she'll be turned off from playing, especially barred chords.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Hi, Amos.

My suggestion is keep that guitar (full-sized) and have the action lowered.

Amos's picture
Amos
Thanks guys, now, how about the women?

Appreciate all help. She is definitely into it, and has a good track record for seeing things through. She runs long distances for her H.S. track team, has been taking kung fu for a few years now, and is active in the drama club.

The guitar is a gorgeous custom Martin-ish dreadnought style. Her uncle made it for her father. It is hard for me to play that guitar but, it fits Steve perfectly. Guy has ginormous hands. I'm pretty sure his brother knew that. For him, the action is barely noticeable.

I was more curious about whether or not size and scale of instrument can have a negative impact on the enthusiasm to practice. I think it would suck to have a well spring of enthusiasm sapped by unnecessary obstacles.

Dear ladies, any thoughts?

nan's picture
nan
yo

just saw this amos!
i have to say learning guitar acoustically was hard. i played a nylon string for some lessons and that helped. strings easier to press. then my friend darcy gave me her electric guitar.
i THINK it's a gibson les paul junior. point is the neck is smaller than most guitars and frets are closer together.
have used it for years.
i am spoiled and don't like normal sized guitars. except telecasters.

get her playing on a nylon string if she's going acoustic....it's easier to learn chords on.

Amos's picture
Amos
<3

Thanks Nan! Great advice on the nylon string and the junior. We sort of serendipitously lucked into an Alvarez, that she feels much more comfortable with, lighter, lower action, slimmer neck. I'll definitely pass on your awesomeful advice though, so that when she's ready to rock, A) she'll have an awesome solid body to covet and save up for and B) we send her to you for Rock Hard lessons.

So guys, do you see now why I wanted a female perspective? : )