City mice?

16 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Great discussion topic on Brian Lehrer today.

Do you think growing up in a large city makes a person better prepared for adult living?

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
No.

No.

LP's picture
LP
Donuts

No, and possibly the opposite.

110316_junior_0001.jpg
Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
deleted

----------

Bee K's picture
Bee K
YEAH!

Classic Barry Bliss. I miss those *deleted* posts!

speakerb's picture
speakerb
deleted

------------

domo arigato

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Nah, Brian, it's not the same

Nah, Brian, it's not the same when you do it. It's Barry's thing.

speakerb's picture
speakerb
yeah well...

i just wanted to try it on for size. it feels good to write something with unadulterated abash and then delete it before anyone else can read it. its liberating!

domo arigato

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
Yeah

THats like the time I yelled "you guys are good" from the audience. You cant use someone else's thing. As far as the city mice, I dont think it makes a difference.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Define Adult Living

I raised my kids in the boonies of Suffolk County. It was fairly rural. We didn't even have sidewalks, neighbors kept chickens, goats, rams, etc. & we could have kept up to 2 horses, but I wasn't going to be "picking up" after a horse so they'd go to a friends to ride.
The first time I took my kids into Manhattan they just started across the street, not looking for oncoming traffic. They weren't used to having to look out for cars. My daughter never saw *or noticed* a gas stove until she was about 14. No gas lines out by us so everyone had electric stoves.
My son stayed on LI for college, but my daughter went to Potsdam up near the Canadian border, which was even more rural. She hates city living, thinks LI is even too built up now so she bought a house in a really rural section by Albany. She pretty much moved out when she was 17, aside from coming home during college summer vacations, but she always had a summer job.
My son is what I consider a "young" 22. He wanted to stay on LI after I moved & I was scared shitless for him cause he can be a bit of a moron when it comes to money & sense. It took him 4 months to figure out he needed to get a different job to meet expenses & stop calling Mommy to help pay his rent. I got friends who stop by to check on him all the time & they tell me his place is always clean, his laundry is always done & there's food in the fridge.
The only thing I ever noticed about my kids are that they were a little naive about the ways of the world. Other than that, I think they're doing just fine & fully prepared.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

MMM's picture
MMM
I would say adulthood is

I would say adulthood, for our particular culture, is something that should typically happen around the age of 18 to 21. It's about learning to respect other people, take responsibility for yourself and finding that balance between pursuing happiness and allowing others to do the same.

I'm sure this could spring up a lot of debate but this is the general idea.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
In that case

where you're brought up is irrelevant. Its HOW you're brought up.
Just like you have to be taught how to hate, you also have to be taught respect & responsibility.

MMM's picture
MMM
You don't think the

You don't think the environment has a little to do with how a kid turns out? How come everyone cares so much about where their kid goes to school?

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Schooling

We care because we want them to actually learn things like how to read & not be pushed through the system. We also want them to learn more than just the 3 "R"'s so they have a well rounded education. The better the school district the better the educational offerings. Its not just the schools. Parents need to take an active role in their children's education. A kid can cruise through his education. A parent can see to it that their child is challenged & doesn't fill their schedule with classes that don't offer them much.

dina's picture
dina
i think it does

i think it does, yet not sure how yet totally yet...

i think so many experiences here for kids are great, my kid goes on feild trips every other week to the met, musuem of nat. history, the city musuem of ny, bronx botanical gardens, etc., el museo del bario, etc.. and he goes to public school.....
then again, he doesn't get to go play in his backyard ( although we have morningside park, riverside park, and central park all around us)....i grew up on long island and made a concscious decision to not raise a kid there...

and the other day we had an incredible conversation about legalizing gay nuptials, and i was so proud of him and how feels and responded to the fact it's not legal... i don't know if his experience about that would be the same if we weren't here in nyc..although he would certainly be taught the same things from his parents...

and then on the other hand... i also tend to think sometimes living in nyc is like it's own sort of bubble, and not realistic to the rest of the u.s.a. (let alone the world)...

in my 7 years as parent so far i'd say it's definiltey a combo of nature and nurture
( and that includes environment and how you raise them)...

MMM's picture
MMM
Very good points. Thanks

Very good points. Thanks Dina.

I'm thinking about the necessity to be close to experiencing "real nature" and feeling that connection and appreciation for nature VS. being exposed to diverse groups of people on a regular basis. Both would be ideal but it seems to be a bit of a trade off with city VS. country thing.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I think if you are raising a

I think being an adult means knowing how to show the world around you respect. If you are raising a child to understand what it really means to respect the world around you, you can raise them to be adults.

respect your neighbors
respect other people's time
respect nature
respect money and the responsibility that comes with using it
respect a musical instrument
respect your friends
respect your body
respect food
respect the quiet in a cathedral

It doesn't matter. You can raise someone anywhere and they should be able to take the idea of respect and apply it to wherever they roam.