Brooklyn Tea Party...

29 replies [Last post]
speakerb's picture
speakerb

Many things in this world are uncertain. Our home has been a great place to see shows and we are taking a break from it at this time for personal reasons. I do hope to be back doing shows in August for summertime. That is if I can keep the lease and they don't try to financially squeeze me out of here, which they are.

Yes, this means we will not be hosting our annual 4th of July festival, but I will figure out another reason to have a festival this summer and we'll all make it great!

One thing that I want to get an opinion on is this: Brooklyn Tea Party, the name.

Having to constantly explain it to people is getting old. Being affiliated with such a stupid political trend is also keeping some folks from playing here or new people from joining in on the fun. It worked great while it began and was interesting and fun to not give up the name for the many reasons. Now it just seems silly to keep a name that is blasphemous, to everything I stand for.

If I do keep the place, and I will know for sure by late June, I want to change the name. My one idea is keeping it BTP and changing the name to Brooklyn Turnpike. Its simple, its driving and its directional. I like it. I am also interested in what you think, or to see if there were alternative suggestions.

I can still maintain the websites and use them however I want. Whether it be to oppose the Republican party, Woohoo!, or to redirect folks to our DIY house shows. I don't, however, wish to do both. Because if our home is affiliated with the Anti Tea Party movement of Brooklyn, we would be asking for a considerable amount of backlash, and trouble. I do not want that AT ALL! This is still my home, and my work place and that is not to be f@*%ed with!

So let me hear your voices.

Also, if there are any lawyers out there with an excellent knowledge of housing and tenant rights, I would be interested in speaking with you ASAP!

domo arigato

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I'll say this: not playing

I'll say this: not playing the Brooklyn Tea Party because of the name is asinine. Whatever you do, don't let crap like that convince you that the name needs to be changed. The Boston Tea Party is a significant event in US history that looms long and large over a small right-wing movement that's recently tried to co-opt the name. By refusing to play the BTP because if the name, a person (ironically) paints themselves as more narrow minded, uninformed and foolish than Tea Party Patriots are accused of being. There's nothing that burns me up more than liberal/progressive/etcs who act as if they slept through junior high history. Sorry..that just burns me up.

Whatever name you choose, the scene is networked enough that word will get around quickly. You can call it whatever you like and I'm sure it will be fine.

LP's picture
LP
names are silly

names are silly
judging the place by the name is silly
co-opting is silly
becoming attached to names is silly
defining yourself by name is silly
changing names is fun

MMM's picture
MMM
I like the name. It never

I like the name. It never bothered me. Not a fan of Brooklyn Turnpike. Maybe just Brooklyn Tea? I like the potentially subversive dual meaning of the word "Tea." Hey and it doesn't appear to have hurt these guys: http://www.teaparty.com/

I love how Bee K gets more burned up over a few pretentious kids than thousands of racist, pro life conservatives.

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
"I love how Bee K gets more

"I love how Bee K gets more burned up over a few pretentious kids than thousands of racist, pro life conservatives."

I'd reply to this, Matt, but I'm afraid you'll cry about me twisting your words and top it off with a statement in the form of a question?
Alex

MMM's picture
MMM
Ouch??

That's almost too weird of a response for me to feel burned from. You should never fear crying. It's a perfectly natural human response.

Once again, I bow to the OJ forums' "King of Nasty!" I think you're ready for Brooklyn Vegan.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I'm the "King of Nasty!" and

I'm the "King of Nasty!" and you're the "King of Nasty?"

MMM's picture
MMM
???

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Duuuuuuuuuude...
rachel's picture
rachel
July?

Wait...do I have to find something ELSE to do this year on the 4th of July???
Whatever it is, it won't be as cool as BTP...I mean, where else can we see ALL our friends play in one day, get drunk without getting broke, BBQ for hours, blend up frozen delicious alcoholic concoctions, and sing non-patriotic songs while watching illegal neighborhood fireworks?

We have talked about this in person but I gotta put it out there...
I hope there is a way to keep this annual tradition going and I am here to help you and Scott with whatever you need ;-)

MMM's picture
MMM
Ditos on the 4th. What about

Ditos on the 4th. What about Goodbye Blue Monday?

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
just little 'ole me--Underdog

Changing the name for the reason(s) you mentioned is an act of cowardice.
You can do it, for sure, and I am not saying all of my actions are courageous, but I must call it as I see it.

As for you having to explain things---you don't.
Anger comes from doing something you resent doing, though you don't even have to do it.

Reactions are never noble. Actions are.

PS I had a wonderful time at the one or two July 4th things that I attended.

Costello's picture
Costello
Let me find out

If Steve at GBM has bands lined up for J4 and maybe we can move it there. I still wish it was at BTP though, the fireworks are back on the East River this year.

I'd do anything to help make it happen at BTP again!

Yes. I wrote this.

speakerb's picture
speakerb
What's in a name?

There is something to be said about how this message board is run with an iron, sometimes crybaby, fist.

But what's in a name? Why does it matter so much to you? Why does the idea of change, scare you guys so much? What's the problem with coming to/playing/supporting a place that supports you and wants to change? Why can't you just suggest other names rather than trying to suggest that I am somehow a coward for wanting to change the name because of the reasons I've stated. What's that about guys? Geesh.

I should keep the name because, to you, it is somehow kind of badass to be the opposite of what it means. Interesting, but who cares? Give me something useful rather than taking jabs at me personally. I do a lot for you folks and many others as far as support goes. It would be nice to get a little support in return every once in a while.

domo arigato

MMM's picture
MMM
Welcome to my world.

I'm sorry the comments here upset you so much. I didn't mean to say anything to hurt you and I'm sorry if it did. I was just expressing an opinion. Can't speak for the others but as is the case with social media, there is a lot of potential for good things to happen on this forum as well as a lot of potential for cruelty. And I've seen a hell of a lot of both through the years. People clearly act differently when they are able to hide behind a forum such as this. I try to take the good with the bad and not to take anything too personally. BTP is an awesome place and you should feel proud of that. You should also feel free to do whatever you want. In the end if it's a cool place, whatever it's called or whereever it is, people will dig it.

-------

There is something to be said about how this message board is run with an iron, sometimes crybaby, fist.

Is this statement directed at me? If so I don't understand what you mean. I'm totally up for suggestions about better ways to "run" this forum if you got any. Feel free...I'm totally making this up as I go along. In the end I have very little control over what people say here. I've yet to ban anyone outside of spammers since the new site.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Honestly, Brian, it sounds

Honestly, Brian, it sounds like you already know what you want to do regarding this. Why not just go for it? You kind of know what you're getting when you ask this board for it's opinion. I think for something like this, it just complicates things. Stuff like this might be better left to an executive decision, not a democracy.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
I'd Name It

Fuck You, I'll Call It What I Like or
Blow Me, I'll Call It What I Like or
I Changed It, So Bite Me or
Gee, Ain't This A Swell Place for family shows.

Yo Brian, a rose by any other name.....

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

MMM's picture
MMM
I recall a very similar

I recall a very similar argument that resulted in this title.
http://www.olivejuicemusic.com/products/olive-juice-music-label/call-it-...
http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/ce3a0daaf8bbc9c81db5d7957f86afd9/135866.jpg

speakerb's picture
speakerb
never mind

domo arigato

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
I misread Brian's original

I misread Brian's original post--I was being lazy and not really paying attention.
He asked for opinions on the new name he had picked, or for suggestions of other new names, and I thought he was asking for opinions on whether or not to change it.

I am not afraid of change.

I called it an act of cowardice because the reasons stated were all reactions to what other people were doing.

I don't like to see the aggressor always end up with the name, word, phrase, or whatever, having gotten everyone else to back down and give up.

Brian, I have committed 1,000s of cowardly acts, but they must be called such.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friends are simply anyone who is still around after I say what is on my mind.
I don't lie in order to keep them.
I'd rather not have them.
If you ever think I am wrong, or catch me in error---point it out if you like.
You might be right and i will acknowledge that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt, you've mentioned this two-face thing regarding posters before--always from the angle that the person(s) would not say that to your face, as if the lie was the post, and not the face to face.
I would say some people are more honest on here than face to face--for any number of reasons.
The fact that you are face to face with someone may also mean you are at their house, or working on a joint project, or have decided to walk somewhere together, so you may avoid or temper certain things--------temporarily.

It's not so much that some posters need to back off regarding their posts, as it is that they need to back on regarding their face to faces.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note to audience--I have regularly seen it that Matt sees me as one of these folks.
Bottom line is I sincerely like Matt, but have not always been 100% honest with him when involved in working with him, or rather have sometimes not taken the conversation certain places.

MMM's picture
MMM
Sure. However you wanna slice

Sure. However you wanna slice it. I always try to check myself and think, "Would I say this to this persons face?" and if the answer is no then I won't say it here. But some people don't see it that way. They see it as a release. A place to let go and let their ego run free. In the end there is nothing we can do about that if we want to keep the internet free. And then there are some people who don't ever comment but just lurk. In the end I can't fault anyone because that's what freedom is all about.

There will always be those who sit on the side and criticize. There will always be those who allow the fear of those people to keep them from doing or saying what they want. And then there are those who are brave enough to weather it all and actually try to do something. Chances are we all float in and out of these groups all the time. I'll be the first to admit that I've made reactionary statements and gone too far at times but I usually try to apologize when people are brave enough to express their feelings. That is something I wish I could see more of here and in the world and I think that all goes back into the macho bullshit stuff that I think is one of the biggest problems in this world...

Bee K's picture
Bee K
"Would I say this to this

"Would I say this to this persons face?" and if the answer is no then I won't say it here.

I'm in complete agreement on this. It's a good way to live.

LP's picture
LP
erk

I also misread it.
I think change it however you like, regardless of the btp acronym, or if it works out, keep it, or just keep the BTP, with no expanded name.
What foothold btp has in anyones head & life will remain.

Not a fan of the turnpike in all candor.
Mostly because it doesn't inspire me. Glass House, Monster Island Basement, Death by Audio, House of Yes, these are romantic notions adapted into venue titles.

I'm bad at naming, and bad at decisions.
I have one trick I think can lead to powerful names, and that's the removing of words, like Brooklyn Pike (meh).

Brainstorm it up! Using tea to start
Brooklyn Biscuit Co.
For that matter
Brooklyn tea co.
We're all mad here
Looseleaf
Brooklyn Steep / Brooklyn Steep House
(They're closed now, I'm sure others exist) Sympathy for the Kettle
Go dutch: Breuklijnmuzikhaus (or something)
Tisane (tea in french)
Reels
Brooklyn Stage & Reel

meh

Thomas Patrick Maguire's picture
Thomas Patrick ...
Just use the letters BTP.

Brian,
What about just using the letters BTP? That's what Kentucky Fried Chicken did. They are now just known as KFC. The cabal channel that broadcasts Mad Men is just called AMC. It doesn't stand for anything. If anyone asks you what it stands for just tell them it doesn't stand for anything. And give those examples. Good luck with whatever you come up with.

Thomas Patrick ...
But then this could happen:
Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Umm... AMC stands for

Umm... AMC stands for American Movie Classics.

Thomas Patrick ...
Not anymore.
Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
I beg to differ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_%28TV_channel%29

and

http://www.americanmovieclassics.com/

I miss the old days when they didn't run commercials. *sighs*

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Hey, Bri.

How about you just toss everything out and start fresh and call it whatever you like?

ray's picture
ray
Yes

While I agree with everyone (is that possible?), and I'm not going to offer an opinion on turnpike or suggest other names,......But I will say... Change that name! Just the few times I've invited people to come, it has been an issue, and I thought about what that was like for Brian, multiplied by a hundred.

And... it has made me wonder why my friends would think I would want to attend a tea party event?

I love the idea of the website remaining up to offer counter info (aka reality) to tea party people who find the site.

I also like the idea of BTP making some $ by selling the domain name. If we're lucky, the tea party will flounder soon, and now would be the time to sell. The morality of this transaction was posted on this board last year, and I thought "if the number is high enough, sure"