RIP Gil Scott

10 replies [Last post]
Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
MMM's picture
MMM
This is sad news. But that's

This is sad news. But that's one fucking amazing poem. It's the Howl of my genration. Or maybe just a little before.

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
When such an influential

When such an influential person, it's interesting how everyone's individual sadness regarding death adds up to a wonderful celebration of their life full of video postings on FB, message board posts, people pulling out old CD/DVD/books/etc to reflect by themselves and with others...

On the other end of the spectrum, I remember browsing through Barnes and Noble with my old junior high english teacher. He pointed out a poem in which someone bumps into a homeless person and the writer notes that "this was the last time anyone on Earth would think about this person."

Food for thought.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Very good article on GSH
Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
I find it odd that not one of

I find it odd that not one of the obits that I've yet read on Gil Scott-Heron (and I've read about 4 of them now) make any mention of his bigotry and homophobia - up to and including the New York Times obit that I read online. I haven't even seen any posted comments to this effect.

For example, the NJ.com obit (linked to above) makes mention of Gil Scott-Heron's "legacy of social engagement through music", and that he "challenged the domination of oppressors" and other such statements, and even goes so far as to link Heron strongly to Langston Hughes:
"Langston Hughes, the star of the Harlem Renaissance of the '20 [...] exerted the most profound influence over Heron, and it is not an exaggeration to see Heron as Hughes' direct successor."

Langston Hughes is pretty widely known/assumed to have been homosexual - or at least it's guessed at pretty widely, considering he was not open about his sexual life. Therefore you might expect there to be a mention of the paradox this presents.

I'll admit that the only Gil Scott-Heron album that I've heard in its entirely is his first one "Small Talk at 125th & Lennox" - which is a great album in many respects, but it contains the pretty virulent track "The Subject Was Faggots." I find this song actually somewhat more offensive than anything homophobic that I've ever heard on all of the many NWA, Eminem, Geto Boys, Ice Cube, etc albums that I'm familiar with. Most hip-hop artists, even the most socially conscious ones (from The Last Poets up to Immortal Technique, both of whom I rate pretty damn highly in most regards), are guilty of writing truly awful and bigoted anti-gay lyrics, and peppering their songs with demeaning or violent references to gays. That Gil Scott-Heron song is, however, the only rap/spoken word/hip-hop song that comes to mind (at least for me) which is EXCLUSIVELY dedicated to anti-gay sentiment.

As I say, I'm unfamiliar with the rest of his discography beyond that first LP - maybe he changed and/or apologized.
And (perhaps sadly) I'm not saying that bigoted or violent or sexist or racist or homophobic lyrics have stopped me from loving a lot of music that I consider musically/lyrically awesome despite being morally reprehensible (I love watching horror movies too, but that doesn't mean I support chainsaw murders, zombie attacks or demonic possession, in case you're wondering).

My point is that I'm surprised that these GSH obituaries aren't even MENTIONING this contradiction, in what you would hope would be the most basic objective journalistic counter-balance to the praise of his social and artistic achievements. There may be plenty of praise which I think he deserves, but a summation of his life's work and social impact is really painfully under-researched or awkwardly white-washed if it doesn't mention the homophobia along with the list his other legacies to hip-hop and culture in general.

I'm SURE there are obits and articles currently circulating which do in fact address this, but that doesn't excuse the oddness of the ones that haven't.

To clarify - I know that obituaries are generally meant to be positive celebrations of a person's life and work, and not necessarily meant to double as muck-racking, and I can see the point in perhaps not mentioning that he never washed the dishes or he crashed his car a lot or whatever (I'm making up those examples). The problem here is that these articles all go on and on about his social commentary and his artistic work to address oppression, all of which is directly related to issues of what his lyrics actually said about society and oppression. I'd say that the negative content of his work becomes relevant as well in that context, and it's an example of both poor journalism and poor morals to completely ignore this.

(Please do correct me if there's later work of Gil's that confronts this in a different light. Without knowing his full discography I can't say I'm doing such good journalism myself.)

MMM's picture
MMM
I wasn't really aware of this

I wasn't really aware of this poem. After listening to it I see what you mean but I think a lot of this stuff could be up for interpretation. I think it's pretty contraversial but I don't think it's "EXCLUSIVELY dedicated to anti-gay sentiment." It's thought provoking to say the least. I'm not defending it. I'm still trying to figure out exaclty what he means. I don't feel totally qualified since I'm not a homosexual. I'd love to read more critical analysis of exactly what the poem is trying to say. I think the last 2 lines bring up an interesting point about solidarity and exclusivity.

It's funny, I felt the same way when I heard that Guns and Roses song "One In A Million." I used to love G&R but then they put out that song and I just couldn't get past it. I never really felt the same way about them. Since then I've heard people try to tell me it's supposed to be taken more as satire. I don't know? Maybe it's the same kind of thing here? Like I said I'm not defending it. There are a lot of of homophobic and misogynistic themes in Rap music (Rock n Roll too for that matter) that I just hate but there is still no denying rap as a huge influence on popular American culture in the past 40 odd years. Maybe it's time to reflect on the not so good things about that as well as the good things?
http://www.lipwalklyrics.com/lyrics/152035-gilscottheron-thesubjectwasfa...

Gil Scott-Heron
The Subject Was Faggots

The Subject Was Faggots
and the quote was "ain't nothin' happenin' but faggots and dope"
Faggots and dope, faggots and faggots and faggots who line dot dot dot dot
Like that, 34th street and 8th avenue
Giggling and grinning and prancing and shit
Trying their best to see to see the misses and misery
and miscellaneous misfits who attend the faggot ball
faggots who have come to ball
faggots who have come to ball
faggots who were balling because they couldn't get their faggots balls
inside the hall
Balling, balling, ball-less faggots
cutie cootie and snoodie faggots
I mean you just had to dig it to dig it
the crowning attraction being the arrival of Ms Brooklyn
looking like a half-back in a mini-skirt
his or hers or it's pectoral or balls
as he or she or it prepared to enter the faggot ball
but sitting on the corner digging all that I did as I did
long long, black limousines a long flowin' evening gowns
had there been no sign on the door that said "faggot ball"
I might have entered, and god only knows just what would've happened

Guns N' Roses - One In A Million

Guess I needed
Sometime to get away
I needed some peace of mind
Some peace of mind that'll stay
So I thumbed it
Down to sixth and L.A.
Maybe your greyhound
Could be my way
Police and niggers
That's right
Get out of my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Goldchains today
I don't need no bracelets
Clamped in front of my back
Just need my ticket till then
Won't you cut me some slack

Chorus:
You're one in a million
Yeah, that's what you are
You're one in a million, babe
You are a shooting star
Maybe someday we'll see you
Before you make us cry
You know we tried to reach you
But you were much to high
Much to high
Much to high
Much to high

Immigrants and faggots
They make no sense to me
They come to our country
And think they'll do as they please
Like start some mini Iran
Or spread some fucking disease
They talk so many goddamn ways
It's all greek to me
Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be
But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
It's all the means to an end, I,
I keep on movin' along

Chorus
Radicals and racists
Don't point your finger at me
I'm a small town white boy
Just tryin' to make ends meet
Don't need your religion
Don't watch that much TV
Just makin' my livin', baby,
Well that's enough for me

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I don't think "Faggots" was

I don't think "Faggots" was part of his lasting legacy. If press and fans alike aren't mentioning it, that should tell you something and possibly encourage an exploration of his subsequent releases (I actually don't know his work well, but the folks who seem to know his work and lament his passing all have good heads on their shoulders). Perhaps it is such a minor footnote at the beginning of a long career that it's not worth mentioning in an obituary. I think unless you can find a way to mention something like that in way that fits in proportion to his positive legacy, it just serves to inappropriately discredit someone. If one were to attack a group like NWA, you could say that their consistent and perpetually negative attitude is a more worthy target.

I think that, especially when we are younger, we all get a chance to grow. If (in another universe) I reached the level of fame where my death warranted an obit in the Times, I don't think it would be journalistic counter-balance to mention the things that came out of my mouth before I knew better.

It's kind of like mentioning that MLK had a thing for the ladies.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
To clarify:

I do think it's worth mentioning. A forum like this is perfect. A biography certainly has room to address this, and quite possibly a lengthy, in-depth article could find a way to mention it. But for an obituary, it might simply belong on the cutting room floor if you're trying to get the most important information across.

ray's picture
ray
The subject was faggots

To me it seems like the poem is more description of the Balls, which were / are a big deal in Harlem, rather than just homophobic, which it also is. It seems odd today, but Bohemia was very homophobic in 1970, and while it may have been unusual to use "faggots" in a poem, the open revulsion would have been an OK sentiment to espouse amongst Gil's peers. In the 60's, the preferred word used by the Downtown, turned on, crowd to identify gays was "fairy", which is not as harsh, but still weird now.

Even the Village Voice printed homophobic articles in the 60's!

I would highly recommend the documentary "The Queen", as well as "Paris is Burning".

ray's picture
ray
Gil

After listening for the first time in 30 years, I think the key line is "you just had to dig it to dig it". I think Gil dug it, and even wondered what it would be like to have attended.

Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
Maybe I am deluding myself,

Maybe I am deluding myself, but I don't hear it as deeply bigoted. I hear it as ambivalent. He does seem to being reacting to the poem's subject as "other." And of course he's using a degrading term for gays, but I can't be clear on the context. Is he just being street here? As Eric says, he also seems to be "digging" them, and fascinated. He seems to be having his mind blown. He was 21 at the time. My verdict would be "phobic but not hateful." I feel he is registering their humanity. The most questionable moment is the word "ball-less." That tips it negatively. On the other hand, they can't get into the ball, hence ball-less. It seems like a bad pun that he should have resisted.

On the other hand, a contemporary Pulitzer-winning play (1964) and followup movie (1968)? "The Subject was Roses." So maybe, in a way, the "Faggots" of this poem are "Roses." He's connecting the two by allusion.

The poem ends on a lovely image:

"long long, black limousines and long flowin' evening gowns"

that would tempt him inside if the words "faggot ball" didn't keep him out. What would have happened next is a stated mystery. revulsion? violence? embracing? we just don't know.

I think the Guns and Roses song is harder to categorize. They paid a price BIG TIME for that one, and deserved to (or at least did for a time...it never really went away, and I don't know whether there's a point that they'd "done enough time" given their addressing of it). Apparently the rest of the band tried hard to talk Axl out of putting that one out.

Here's a video of Gil S-H performing the anti-Reagan "B-Movie":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ipWM3DWe4

Note the blatant sarcasm at 7:10 or so...."Civil rights, women's rights, gay rights, it's all wrong. Call in the cavalry to disrupt this perception of freedom gone wild."

I think that puts him solidly in the category of recognizing gay oppression, at least by then.

EDIT: I re-listened to the track. The printed words are a bit different than what he says in the track, and the printed version reads more positively. There IS more mocking in his voice, and in the audience's reaction, than in the written version. The way "he or she" resolves into "it", twice in a row, feels dehumanizing, too. But I think it's still debatable as to how deep the bigotry in the piece goes, and how much he's owning it by the end.