14 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Any suggestions?

"Here to do great things."

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
smart phone?

Not from me--Im not smart enough for a smart phone.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
the census is in

the kids in my family all say Iphone. Anyone can use one. I'm not sure I liked the tone of that.... lol

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

MMM's picture
MMM
What's the difference between

What's the difference between them?

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Best Suggestion

I'd go to the AT&T, Verizon, whatever carrier you choose, & ask the techs there to show you all the smart phones & what they can & cannot do & then pick the one that works best for you.
I'm still using my phone from 6 yrs ago. Everyone keeps taking my upgrades. :(

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

LP's picture
LP
arg phone

Diffs?

iphone is apple. Expect tight integration w/apple services and products, a well made product, restrictions that you probably won't notice. Limited range of carriers.

Android: wider ranging choice of carriers, dizzying selection of phones, some w/physical keyboards, customizable to all get-out, awesome integration w/google products, esp mail & calendar. Platform (windows/linux/mac) agnostic, for the most part. Cheaper phones.

Blackberry: mature ui, no frills, no eye candy, very productive devices with strong focus on messaging. Wide range of carriers. Keyboard is love/hate. Strong windows integration, hit/miss mac integration.

What do you want to do w/it? And where do you want to use it?

MMM's picture
MMM
I really just need a new

I really just need a new phone and it looked like, outside of buying the phone, the service would cost the same as my old phone. I'd like to be able to use it in Europe if possible as well as the states. I'm a Mac person but I do use gmail and am thinking I might be into Google+ but I've never actually used it. I supposed I mostly use it for text and email, skype and oh sure occasionally as a phone I guess. I don't know a lot about apps.? Are they the same with all phones?

LP's picture
LP
more

I dun think the service will cost the same. There are always premiums for data usage. I don't know about iphones, but for tmobile blackberry it's ~$15/month, and the tmobile android plan is ~$20 more than straight phone. It's part of the ever expanding cost of digital living.

I don't know much about european usage, but I think using your same phone w/the same plan is "deluxe". I think it's more pragmatic to get a phone that can take a new SIM card, and get a pre-pay account over there, or take messages on google voice or something. But I don't really know what I'm talking about.

The App market is completely different for each line. I'd rank them from best to worst iPhone/Android/BB. But most apps are garbage. I use one incredible calendar app on my android, and one incredible todo management app, and a reading app on my ipod touch.

It's very clear for me, I use calendaring heavily, multiple gmail accounts, and like physical keyboards. If I found a comparable calendar app, and got used to on screen typing, I'd probably move to an iphone.

opemily's picture
opemily
iPhones certainly provide a

iPhones certainly provide a great user experience. My whole family converted over to the iPhone and my parents love it. However, there are some restrictions, mostly that it's locked to the network (although a lot of smart phones will be.)

Best advice- you get a 30-day trial period when purchasing any new contract. Feel free to return a phone if you're not happy with the way it works. There should be no restocking fees or anything. Bring the phone back- say "I don't like this phone, what else do you have"

There are whispers of a new iPhone in the next two months or so. If an iPhone is a serious contender, you should wait for it. Even if you'd rather go with the iPhone 4, it will be much cheaper when the new phone comes out.

MMM's picture
MMM
Thanks!

Thanks!

Sarah Talia's picture
Sarah Talia
cell exchange

Hey Matt,

If you haven't gotten one yet, I just got an android phone for $100 at this great (well I think so) used electronics place, the Cell Exchange on Broadway right above Houston. They have iPhones too, and a 1 year warrantee on all their stuff, which I've totally tested before. Buying your own phone allows you to avoid signing a contract with your provider, and the no-contract services are generally cheaper so you pay less in the long run than if you get a subsidized phone through them, Be happy to go with you sometime if you wanted!

Sarah

Sarah Talia's picture
Sarah Talia
You could also just play with

You could also just play with my phone if you wanted to try it out.

beau's picture
beau
hey matt, you're rich enough

hey matt, you're not rich enough to buy an iphone :o)
don't buy a smart phone, get one of your friends to give you an old one, someone offered me two last weekend and i would have taken them both if i'd a-known you wanted one.
come to think of it, i'll lend you the one i have & you can see how you like it & then get someone, maybe me, to give you one permanently.
verizon is about a thousand times better than the other carriers - i rejoiced the day i got rid of at&t, & spent more time on calls because they never dropped out
if you must buy, buy used from garrett, gfonzmail@gmail.com, he delivers to your door, does the setup/activation for you and is a good guy.

~ beau

MMM's picture
MMM
Thanks Beau. You are totally

Thanks Beau. You are totally right. I started to look into them and it seems like they are a bit more than I thought. I also really like the idea of recycling. I'd be into it.

You wanna meet up for coffee or a juice or something some time. By the way do you have any more copies of Take Your Time? I've sold out and I'd be happy to get more and settle up ; )

beau's picture
beau
i'm leaving town tomorrow for

i'm leaving town tomorrow for 3 days in my luxurious country estate (a tent in the woods) so i'll get back to you on monday

~ beau