Mary Bluestocking solos 'Honey Pie'

2 replies [Last post]
M Sloan's picture
M Sloan

Hey, folks, on Dec. 2 I'm performing solo!
You should come for that reason alone, as many of you know my doing as much is virtually unheard of.

The composition is the work of Verity Combe a performance artist from the UK.

The event's flyer reads: "Each woman has a different relationship to her own body." "This is a portrayal of how individual women can control the way others witness their bodies."

As a performer I am connecting to the piece through my many years of struggling with chronic physical debilitation and my experience of discovering how to heal by learning how to connect to my body on a very deep level. My Taoist martial arts and yoga practice are my vehicle for relating to the task of performing poses in motion.

But if that's not enough, I know, for a fact, that many of you are fans of indecent exposure.

Well this is the ultimate event I assure you wont be disappointed!
--as long as you're not late, that is.

It costs $10 but drinks are by donation
Doors at 7, performances start at 8:30 (they are only 3 (my solo is just one) and they're short and sweet so, again, this is the sort of thing you want to be on time for and follow through the whole thing with)

See OJ's Event Calendar for another explanation.

Location is Ten 10 Gallery: 10-10 47th Rd. Long Island City, N.Y. 11101

http://www.ten10studios.com/TEN10Studios/Upcoming_.html

M Sloan's picture
M Sloan
My bio in the event's program

My bio in the event's program will read:

Mary Bluestocking is a fine art printmaker and drawer, and a feminist thinker. Native of Brooklyn, she earned her BFA at SUNY-Purchase and has since spent many years steeping herself in semi-nomadic bohemianism. This has entailed working on projects such as learning how to live off the land in the hills of central New York to running off to Guatemala unaffiliated and alone to teach art to underprivileged youth both in the city and in the jungle. She recently trained as a birth doula. Mary has suffered most of her adult life from physical debilitation and handicap, and as a youth her body was generally mangled and maimed. Trained in Taoist martial art for a brief, yet intensive, period of her youth in a secret dojo in the basement of a building that’s since been razed to rubble, Mary has been able to develop an involved, private yoga practice which she’s used to heal her body and deepen her connection to both frailty and resilience.

M Sloan's picture
M Sloan
Don't be shy. It's Art!

Last night I went through 'Honey Series' (un)dressed rehearsal and saw the other soloist do the piece as well.
I want to say, because I've experienced a lot of hesitation from people to come because of the nudity. A few I'm sure are hesitant because it's ten buck and the pieces are only 15 min long:

This is the most powerful presentation of the physical-sensual that I've seen live. It's very transcendent. Very spiritual.

You'll get past your resistance and presumptions (for ex. the part of you that's uncomfortable with nudity or is jaded about nudity or judjes bodies or feels uncomfortable beeing seen there watching this, yadda yadda yadda) within the first minute of the piece. The next 14 minutes is the transcendent. Getting there is very rare. And it's very powerful to experience. I cant even imagine what it'll be like to watch it 3 times over with 3 different performers.

It would be a real shame if anyone missed this because they had no idea how special this is.