Very sad news. Michal the Girl Friedman RIP (childbirth)

6 replies [Last post]
Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.

A lot of us here knew her as "Michal the Girl," pixie-like singer/songwriter who was a constant at Sidewalk Cafe, especially in the late 1990s.

This is on Michal's Facebook page, posted by her friend Rob:

"I am very sorry to report that my friend and very excellent teammate at work Michal Friedman passed away last night due to complications during the birth of her eagerly awaited twin boy and girl, who are reported to be healthy and well. Michal truly brought special things to the world in her life, and her last act of giving was her greatest. She is gone far too soon, and she will be unbelievably missed. Let this tragedy serve to remind us all to please treasure the ones we love."

A posting from Drew Blood says she died last night from complications from a c section.

I did not know her nearly as well as some --we were distant acquaintances-- but I always liked her a lot and appreciated her performances. The last time we chatted was after a Loser's Lounge show of last year, where she did a really fun and funny duet on a Brian Wilson song.

I'm thinking a lot about Grey Revel, Linus Gelber, Drew Blood, and everyone else in our extended community who was close to her. And to her family. :(

Image: 
Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
Michal

That is unbelievable. Sad and shocking. Makes no sense at all. I never knew her well but she was a warm and regular presence on the scene for a time.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

I didn't really know her, but I know I need to do something useful while I am alive.

Anybody need free help with anything?

MMM's picture
MMM
Sad news indeed. She was a

Sad news indeed. She was a sweet lady. Thanks for sharing this Steve.

"Here to do great things."

Jacky22's picture
Jacky22
Shocking

Very sad and shocking news.

Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
NY Daily News

Bizarrely, it is the cover story in today's Daily News.

It's a respectful enough article, so I'm posting the link. The hardcopy version, though, is titled in a sensationalistic, paper-selling manner. ugh.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan-dad-heartbreak-wife-dies-giving-birth-twins-article-1.988398?localLinksEnabled=false

At the end it says:

Readers who want to help Jackson and Reverie Snyder can go to www.thesnydertwins.com.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
The picture of Jay holding

The picture of Jay holding the twins, still in his hospital gown, is really something else. So much sadness and joy in that picture.

Joy has the upper hand, though. Children are like that.