Jefferson Airplane vs. Strawberry Alarm Clock

2 replies [Last post]
Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis

Am I imagining things or is the Strawberry Alarm Clock's 1967 song "Strawberries Mean Love" clearly the inspiration for the 1969 Jefferson Airplane/Crosby, Stills & Nash song "Wooden Ships"?

"Wooden Ships" was written in 1968 by David Crosby, Steven Stills and Jefferson Airplane's Paul Kantner, and released in 1969 in two different versions - one on the self-titled 1969 debut album by Crosby, Stills & Nash, and one on the Jefferson Airplane 1969 album "Volunteers." Both versions of "Wooden Ships" are great, and it's one of the great rock songs of the 60s. The Airplane's version is a bit more woozy and psychedelic, partially because of the more acoustic approach, but both versions sound to my ears similar to the Strawberry Alarm Clock's mostly forgotten 1967 song "Strawberries Mean Love." The Jefferson Airplane version of "Wooden Ships" does have a stronger sonic resemblance to "Strawberries Mean Love" than the CSN version, but for both versions of "Wooden Ships" the way the lead guitar wrings consistent, droningly beautiful, modal acid-jazz melodies out of the underlying chord change is arguably the defining musical characteristic of "Wooden Ships," and this element is essentially exactly the same as the melody/chords of "Strawberries Mean Love". I can only imagine that the first SAC album would have been a common item for somebody to own in California in 1967-68, it contained a #1 chart-topping era-defining pop-psych hit song ("Incense & Peppermints"), and was a strong-selling LP, probably especially in Los Angeles where both SAC and CSN had their roots in 1967-68, so I strongly believe that David Crosby would have been familiar with the SAC song when he starting writing "Wooden Ships" a year later.

I also believe the 1969 Strawberry Alarm Clock song "Small Package," from the SAC's fourth and final LP, represents SAC getting revenge for the theft! The musical & vocal performance on SAC's "Small Package" is highly reminiscent of Jefferson Airplane; I imagine many people hearing "Small Package" would probably think they were hearing a Jefferson Airplane song. Furthermore the title "Small Package" is obviously lifted from the Airplane song "A Small Package of Value Will Come To You Shortly" on their 1967 album "After Bathing at Baxter's."

Conclusion: Anybody in 1969 daring to accuse the Strawberry Alarm Clock of ripping off Jefferson Airplane with "Small Package" would, on closer inspection, have to admit that Airplane merely owed them a song-theft as payback for "Wooden Ships".

Strawberry Alarm Clock's 1969 "Small Package" (a Jefferson Airplane sound-alike, no?) =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlpMzYJvN-s&feature=results_video&playnex...

Jefferson Airplane's 1969 "Wooden Ships" (sounding sorta like SAC's "Strawberry's Mean Love") =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIccZsURyLc

Strawberry Alarm Clock's original 1967 "Strawberries Mean Love" (musical inspiration for "Wooden Ships"?) =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=albdVcutBbM

ray's picture
ray
strawberries

I think you're right, Jeff... I love this kind of stuff - how songs / sounds are created and how they are influenced by others.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Yup, sounds like they had

Yup, sounds like they had some of their purple berries.