Linda Draper - Sail Away Ladies (Odetta tribute)

5 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
She's playing at SWalk

She's playing at SWalk tonight, 10pm!

beau's picture
beau
hey linda, that's a beautiful

hey linda, that's a beautiful rendition of sail away!
one of the first albums i ever bought was odetta and larry, she was one of my earliest idols. i met her at wetlands in the early 80's and completely lost it, rambled on with the usual stupid star-struck fan stuff about how much her music had meant to me, but she was totally gracious and delightful to talk with.
i notice there's no indication, in the credits, for the bass player. is it you linda? do know you're standing in for bill lee, who played with odetta for years, and whose son spike became a movie director?
happy holidays, linda, the song is the best holiday treat i've had this year :o)

~ beau

Linda Draper's picture
Linda Draper
sorry for the late response

Hi Beau,

Sorry for the delayed response, I haven't checked in on the board in a while. The bass player on that track is Rob Woodcock. He's on the west coast, but a good friend of mine - we record and play shows together whenever we can.

The Odetta tribute comp that we recorded this for, was released by Wears The Trousers Records a few years ago, which is an offshoot of Wears The Trousers zine. It was recorded, where else, but the OJ studios. A friend of the zine did this video which was really the coolest thing! The album proceeds went to 2 UK based charities - the Fawcett Society and the Women's Resource Center - here's some more info:

"First established as an online magazine in 2005 and now occasionally in print, Wears The Trousers (www.wearsthetrousers.com) has grown into a respected voice for women in the music industry. All profits from sales of the album will be split evenly between two charities chosen by Wears The Trousers in recognition of their incredible work on behalf of women. The Fawcett Society (www.fawcettsociety.org.uk) is the UK’s leading organisation campaigning for equality between women and men, making real differences in women’s lives by creating awareness, leading debate and driving change. The Women’s Resource Centre (www.wrc.org.uk) works to bring women’s organisations together, helping them to be more effective and sustainable."
For more info, go to ----> http://wearsthetrousers.bandcamp.com

When I heard that Matt & Nan were moving to Kansas, it made me feel nostalgiac for all things OJ related, and came back to catch up on things going on in the local music community. Nice to see this, thanks for posting, Matt.

Just thinking of Matt and Nan with the fondest memories now - best of luck to you guys with your new chapter on life - you more than welcome to stay at our place whenever you are back in NYC. Me & Jason live in Brooklyn now, just around the corner from McCarren Park in Greenpoint and we'd love to have you guys over, any time. We have a couch and a cool little cozy loft space upstairs where you can make yourselves feel at home...when you are on the road...there's no place like home :-)

Cheers,
Linda

MMM's picture
MMM
It's a wonderful song. And a

It's a wonderful song. And a really wonderful rendition. Thanks for the offer to crash. Sounds really nice. We're pretty excited about getting out there a bit more. You have always been one my favorite voices in this community. Can't help but post another one of my faves:

"Here to do great things."

Linda Draper's picture
Linda Draper
oh yeah - Rob is credited on the comp itself..so is OJ!

Rob Woodcock is in fact, credited on the comp itself - so is Major Matt an OJ studios ;-) http://wearsthetrousers.bandcamp.com/track/sail-away-ladies