"FB fans aren’t seeing your posts (and how to fix it)"

8 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

"FB fans aren’t seeing your posts (and how to fix it)"
http://alwaysupward.com/blog/fb-fans-arent-seeing-your-posts-and-how-to-...

This is a bummer. I'm not sure the "fix" really does much. Making you pay to reach the audience is a super lame move IMHOP. I suppose it was a matter of time. Got a feeling this is going to be the eventual downfall of FB. They're clearly in over their head and scrambling for ways to make more money. Why does it seem like every time a business goes public it starts sucking?

"Here to do great things."

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
pi is not a company

"Why does it seem like every time a business goes public it goes starts sucking?"

Well, I do know that once you make your business go public you are legally obligated to make it suck.

It's easy for me to say 'fuck facebookTM' because I have never joined it, but not as easy as you might think, and once I sent a facebook message through a friend.

I am still simplifying obviously (with a long ways to go), but more and more I find that the less I am involved with pieces of shit organizations the happier and more potent I become.

MMM's picture
MMM
I find Facebook a very

I find Facebook a very valuable tool for promoting and booking stuff for our band. But I'm taking less and less stock in it lately. I always felt like it was only a matter of time until they either went the way of myspace or turn people off with some other type of "pay for" premium type scheme. I believe that Zuckerberg's original intent behind FB was true but when anyone accumulates that much wealth it's just a matter of time until the scumbags win.

This is why I'm still hanging on to the OJ site and the forum here. As long as I can afford it, this will be a free place to express yourself that everyone has access to. I sort of wish people took advantage of it a little bit more but to each her and his own.

We also still send flyers to venues and emails out and try to connect with people, on a direct level, as much as possible. I think a lot of people have gotten used to the idea that if they do it on FB then everyone they know knows about it. Here's proof that that's just not the case. FB is running a classic bait and switch tactic here. Since we've gotten so used to learning about things and connecting through FB for free, they seem to be banking on the idea that if they cut off some of that access, that we are used to, then we'll be willing to pay to get it back. Bam! What was supposed to be a neat tool for connecting you with other people more easily just turned into another bill / link in the chain around your neck, just like your phone bill and your Internet bill. Everyone just got rid of their land lines but now we'll all have to pay our Facebook bills if we want to have full access. Fuckers!

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

What was supposed to be a neat tool for connecting you with other people more easily just turned into another...
I doubt it was ever supposed to be that in the eyes of it's creators, but if so, not now.

Everyone just got rid of their land lines but....
Maybe not everyone, but the fact that so many have contributes to why I have had no phone for years.
I usually rent rooms in houses run by others, and while I used to join in on using the phone, now most have their own cell phones and no landline.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
FB

I love Facebook for connecting with different groups of people. As a parent I've found it especially useful for getting inspired by all of the activities and excursions that people post. Sometimes when it's a rainy day and I'm too exhausted figure out what to do with the day, it's nice to see that so-in-so is baking or making playdough with their kids. Helps inspire me. There are other people who I have connected with online and used to only be acquaintances. The things they choose to post about, and the ensuing conversations, are always enlightening. With old friends who I often correspond with at length via email, it's simply another way of keeping in touch and completing the picture. And with my ex, who is also happily married with kids, it's great to have a way to harmlessly share each others lives without writing at length. At it's best, I've found Facebook to be in-depth, inspiring people watching. As long as I keep it in check and don't waste my time with it, I've found it to be a cool thing.

The one thing I've noticed about FB, however, is that it's been harder over the past two years to get posters up at Sidewalk. The site basically works as a glamorized evite...it *does* work in that sense, though. And people DO create artwork that they scan for FB, so maybe it's about time to get people to send their artwork in so what we can print it out. But there's something about the crazy posters that I miss...and people taking the time to stop in and hang them. It's not about promoting, just breaking out the glue, getting out of the house. you know.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

I can drive an SUV to your house for a nice visit, or walk to your house for a nice visit.
Both bring me over for a nice visit, but one is much more healthy/sane/sustainable than the other.

MMM's picture
MMM
I'm kind of in agreement with

I'm kind of in agreement with both of you if that's possible. I think one really has to watch their FB/Internet usage and see it for what it is.

There are 2 aspects to FB that I think need to be viewed separately: There's the surfing or lurking aspect. And there's the sharing or content generating aspect.

As far as lurking, sure, that's like TV. You can watch a PBS program and learn about Quantum Physics or you can watch Mob Wives. Depending on your state of mind both can be enlightening, entertaining, or fry your brain.

When it comes to producing content, I've always considered FB a tool, more or less, for promoting the company that is "Me." And it, as well as other social media and Internet tools like email and blogs have helped give me the freedom to pursue more of a life that I want. Tools can be used to build things and sometimes tools can hurt or destroy things if they aren't used properly. When a tool promises something and then doesn't deliver then the tool is less useful for me. I try as hard as I can but, let's face it, the persona that I, or anyone else, portrays on any social media site is not the full package. But sometimes people don't want the full package. I suppose the question is: How much do all the little packages distract us or how much do they help us in getting the full packages that we want to make us more happy and fulfilled?

MMM's picture
MMM
"Facebook's IPO: What Does it

"Facebook's IPO: What Does it Mean for Musicians?"
http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2012/05/22/facebooks-ipo-what-does-it-mean...

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
A company going public is the

A company going public is the beginning of the end for that company in ethical terms.