Tuli Kupferberg Celebration, Sidewalk 7/18

4 replies [Last post]
Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis

I'm rehearsing about 10-12 songs for this show... I don't know if any of you are around NYC this week but here's the scoop!

Wednesday July 18, NYC - Jeffrey Lewis will perform as part of a Tuli Kupferberg Memorial/Celebration event, other performers/readers/attendees to be anounced... it will take place at Sidewalk on Avenue A & East 6th Street in Manhattan (Free entry, 1-drink minimum, donations encouraged, all proceeds to charity). Evening starts at 8:30 pm.

If anybody wants to perform or read or whatever, as part of this Tuli Kupferberg tribute/memorial/etc show, let me know!
JeffLewisBand@gmail.com

dizozza's picture
dizozza
I'm so glad I stopped by OJ

Why yes, I'd love to play something... before I leave for Austria...
So I'm going to the Salzburg music fest to see Kim Mossel in the Collegiate Chorale Concerts there... July 21-27... any good song performing venues there?

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
Hmm, I don't think I know of

Hmm, I don't think I know of any venues in Salzburg, maybe Toby or Phoebe would know something? Or Matt & Nan?

Toby Goodshank's picture
Toby Goodshank
i don't know of any, but

i'll ask around!

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
It was a great night at

It was a great night at Sidewalk last night, even though there was a crazy hail storm in NYC during the afternoon and Anders almost didn't make it to the gig because all the trains from New Jersey were shut down for hours from the storm.
This was the set we played, ten covers of Tuli Kupferberg songs, some of them pretty obscure and/or rewritten/rearranged/reimagined:

The And Song
No Deposit, No Return
Life Is Strange
Hypothalamus
Not Enough Loving
Try To Be Joyful
This is a Hit Song
Bum's Song
Carpe Diem
Moscow Nights

The band was:
me (guitar/vocal)
Steve Espinola (piano/electric tennis racket/vocal)
Jolie Holland (violin/vocal)
Anders Griffen (drums/vocal)

There were a bunch of other readers and performers and poets and stuff, including some great avant-noise/free-jazz upright bass. I'm sure Thelma will probably put some of it on Youtube soon.