Need to transfer old Raven/Sidewalk live recordings from MD

9 replies [Last post]
LP's picture
LP

I'm going through some old minidiscs, clearing out junk, preserving what's worth it.
Among the recordings is some live stuff from Raven/Sidewalk, circa 2002 (I think?)

I have a crappy little MD deck here I bought off of ebay for $20, but the seek time is for crap.

If anyone has access to a pro deck, or is more set up to import/cut the resulting audio files (I'm not really set up for audio work these days), please let me know.

tx

MMM's picture
MMM
I could do it but I guess

I could do it but I guess you'd have to mail me the disc player along with the discs. What kind of output? I'm assuming stero mini.

"Here to do great things."

LP's picture
LP
Yeah, stereo mini. But as-is

Yeah, stereo mini.
But as-is it's sorta a pain in the ass.. not sure if it's just an MD thing, because of old discs or an old deck, but from the time I press play to getting audio can be 30-45 seconds, or more, hrmph.
I'll keep you posted..

Bee K's picture
Bee K
That reminds me...we have

That reminds me...we have something like 8 antifolk festivals documented on CDR and I haven't figured out what to do with them. I had this idea of, with people's consent, doing a free online archive project. But it would take so much time and energy.

MMM's picture
MMM
Got lots of time in between

Got lots of time in between tours and stuff. I could probably archive them for you if you wanted? Feel free to email me if you wanted to talk more about it.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
I'll sign a consent form.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I'd gladly create a consent

I'd gladly create a consent form...but for what? Right now, they are basically a private collection of recorded shows for personal use. Not like I have the time to listen to them. I always thought it would be interesting to, as long as individual artist consented, a site that releases old show recordings. For free? For charity? Paypal donations to pay for the hours it takes to process the CDRs for download?

The "scene," with these recordings, and whatever Bernard has in his basket of tapes, has its own Antifolk Smithsonian archive.

Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
I've got quite a lot of

I've got quite a lot of stuff, too, and accurately labelled and ordered, especially from 1996 to around 2002. The sound quality is middling to crappy--the earlier stuff is on microcassette, the later stuff on mono cassette. These are usually from "special nights"--Antifolk fests or long nights that the Moldy Peaches/Kimya put together. I have a couple of shows that were done 4-track--stereo out from the board, plus room mics. An early Jeffrey Lewis band show, stuff like that. Probably not _nearly_ as much stuff as Bernard, though.

It's sitting in the middle layers of a 5 foot high, 2-foot wide and deep stack of cassette trays (going back to the early 80s) that are about to go into storage as I move. Do not envy me.

I hear that an Antifolk fest from around 2001 or 2002 exists, complete, on multitrack. Someone was making a movie. The video portion is apparently lost, which is sad -- that was a good moment.

MMM's picture
MMM
I've thought for a long time

I've thought for a long time that a hard hitting, no holds barred, doc. about the history of Antifolk has a lot of potential. Supposedly, there is video tape of the second OJ All Day? Now that would be a good excuse for a Kickstarter campaign.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
*hree *houghts

There is that video footage taken at the Hurricane Katrina Benefit show that was turned into a dvd that some of us have.
Full performances of myself, David Herman Dune, diane cluck, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could do what Ben said---vast archive downloadable mp3s--money to artist and web maintainer and sum to archivist.
Or, they could all be offered up for free.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a part of me that is gleeful about the idea of us destroying all the old recordings we can find.
I know I have given away (Bernard has some old idea/demo tapes of mine) or destroyed (fire, trash..) 98% of mine and am fine with that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------