Readability

3 replies [Last post]
Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

Readability is a downloadable free program that allows you to view whatever web page you are looking at in a cleaned up ad-free way.
I just downloaded it.
It took about 1 minute.
It puts a few small icons on your--is it a toolbar?-- and then when you go to a page and if you'd like a stripped down more easily readable version of that page you just click the icon.
You can go back to the original potentially messy & cluttered page anytime you like.

www.readability.com/

PS Hopefully I have not just let the U.S. Govt. into my laptop.
If so oh well.

opemily's picture
opemily
Readability is an RSS

Readability is an RSS aggregator, so it will try to remember which sites you visit and offer to subscribe for you.

A better option is Ad block extension. You can load it on Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

Thanks.
It certainly offers a cleaner ad free page, but that is a negative I was unaware of.

I may keep it, but if I decide not to what is the easiest way to delete the program---just find it in my files and delete it?

Is Ad block something like Readability in the sense that you see the normal page and then click an icon to view the cleaned up version, or does ad Block automatically clean up the page before you opt for it to?

PS One problem I did have once with Readability was on a page with many photos it for some reason only showed two photos.
Mostly it's offered really stripped down more easily readable pages.

PPS I believe you, yet I have emailed another friend to get his input and suggestions as well.

MMM's picture
MMM
I use both of these programs

I use both of these programs and they work pretty well. I discovered Ad Block a few years ago and I really love it. You just install it and it automatically gets rid of Ads. I've kind of forgotten about it. The only time I've had trouble is when I tried to watch a show on Hulu and it said that I couldn't unless I disabled the program and allowed them to show me ads. I just decided it wasn't really that important that I watch the show. I like to scan lots of different papers and news sources to try and get a more balanced perspective on things. I like "Readability" for the feature that I can chose articles that look interesting to me and then read them all later in one setting. It's like building my own newspaper. Thanks for sharing!

"Here to do great things."