Obama stuff -

15 replies [Last post]
Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis

I'm kinda tied up in knots about this election, and uncertain what the best thing I can do is while on tour (other than I suppose asking my audiences to vote, for Obama that is)...

I have no time this year to do door-to-door stuff in PA or phone banking, and I'm really concerned that other people whom I formerly saw fired up to volunteer back in 2008 are not taking the same actions this time - and I'm one of them, with my tour schedule as it is taking me out of the action this month. I thought maybe I could do "phone bank" stuff from my cell phone while in the car on the road but it seems that you need simultaneous internet access to use the official phone bank volunteer materials.... well, maybe I'll figure out some other stuff to do too...

but if you have any ideas for any pro-Obama activities somebody can do from a car in these crucial and scary weeks, please lemme know!

This is a big one people -
Personally, I could seriously use health care since I work for myself and have never had health insurance. Even if for your own reasons you don't care about rights for abortion or gay marriage, the health care alone is a pretty huge reason to want Obama in office.

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
PS - Romney's tax plan

Well, sorta silly and not enough of a real argument, but check it out -

http://www.romneytaxplan.com/

Bee K's picture
Bee K
nose clips

I was going back and forth on whether or not to vote this year, but I'm going to vote for Obama. I really do think that given the despicable qualities of both candidates, there is going to be a lot of work/activism to be done after the election. Voting really is the *least* that someone can do. The two candidates don't differ to much in some major areas. I almost feel like voting in this election isn't going to make a huge difference with a lot, but that it will give some people I know some health insurance, a chance at a Pell grant, and a few other little perks. And in the case of the health insurance, if walking a few blocks away from my home and taking 10 minutes to check off a name helps out some buddies, I'll do it.

That being said, though, it's so frustrating to see the election take up so much of people's energy and time on platforms like Facebook when the active president is still doing so much damage in the areas of foreign affairs, civil liberties, human rights, and a pathetic lack of follow-up with Wall Street prosecutions. Obama really seems to be getting a free ride this year with Democrats scared to do anything that risks their base running off to the Green Party or whatever.

After months of listening to anarchist-leaning friends talk about how they are ignoring the election, I have to say that I'm not really inspired to follow their lead. Protest voting, in itself, doesn't really seem to be that productive. Voting isn't as productive as it should be, but it looks like this time around it could keep a few decent pieces of legislation active. That's about it. But like I said, I'll take 10 minutes to push things in a slightly, very slightly better direction. And hold my nose while doing it.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
3 of the same ole dudes chiming in (so far at least).

I won't get into my disagreement with the system/the game/majority-rules being a helathy way to live.
People that would like to do that whole thing and have a leader should be allowed to do it (and people that would not should be allowed not to).

So, let's say you need a leader, you love the idea of majority rules, and you dig a system being in place to protect you and--as I am seeing Jeff's comments regarding health care, provide you with certain things (with part of your tax money paying for it perhaps).
For you there is still the fact that if you vote for Obama you are supporting a guy that is causing more and more suffering and is a shill for company owners that are aiding in the destruction of legal rights, the environment, and children's lives.
When you know what Obama has done, and will probably continue to do, and you vote for him you are making the statement that you stand behind him as is. You are making the statement that you support him.
Even if I was 100% into being part of this sytem I would not vote for Obama.
He is an articulate coward and a selfish human being with policies that are contributing to a vast amount of suffering throughout the world.

Can you really just be bought off with the promise of some $200 a month health care plan?
If I have Jeff's views on health care right--government owes him (and others) that regardless of who the president is.
Same for libraries and public roads.
Whole other topic though.

PS I don't take posting these comments lightly.
Yesterday I decided not to even read the posts thoroughly because I knew it was the same stance from the same people and my stance would be the same as always as well.
I pay dearly for these public comments in a materialistic sense.
My whole life has been me saying shit like this and therefore remaining at the very bottom of the totem pole of worldly power--and being hated, threatened, and unsupported in any sense by the majority, but unless I one day find out that it's all done for selfish reasons I aim to carry on.

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
Well, like it or not, NOT

Well, like it or not, NOT supporting Obama right now is the same as voting for Romney. That's just the system that currently exists, and we can wait around till things are more like the way we wish they were or we can take what action is available today, while also working to improve things in other ways.
In World War 2, one could have said "well, it's true that I don't like the Nazis, but if I join the fight against them it'll mean that I'm compromising my ideals by joining in with the US government, and there's many aspects of the US government that I do not personally support (such as enforced racial segregation) and so I can not join the fight." Luckily, although the segregation policies of the US government were bad, enough people felt that the issue at hand was to defeat the Nazis first, and deal with segregation afterwards. This is of course an extreme example, but it's interesting to ponder how many compromises need to be made in these situations in order to make progress towards goals.
As far as voting, luckily we live in NY state where the pressure is somewhat off so it doesn't matter too much whether somebody on the OJ Message Board votes in NY, but in the swing states it is literally the situation that every person who stays home NOT voting for Obama is essentially casting a vote for Romney. And a vote for Romney, well that's a vote against working to regulate Wall St, a vote against health care, a vote against abortion rights. If you can't stomach voting for Obama (though I must personally say he's been the best US president in my 36 years of life), you must at least realize that Romney is by far the more evil snake, and a vote for Obama is unquestionably the most powerful sword currently in our hands to defeat this snake with. There's no fence to sit on, because the election will be determined by voter turnout. Romney represents the interests of the few, and Obama represents the interests of the many (whether you feel he is doing a perfect job this or not), and the way that is currently playing out is that if few people vote it favors Romney and if many people vote it favors Obama.
Again, this is not much of an issue in NY because there's a strong Democratic majority, but in the swing states like Ohio it is neck and neck. People who don't care how it turns out just aren't paying attention. If you don't care about this election, you don't care about abortion rights. If you don't care about this election, you don't care about health care for the uninsured. If you don't care about this election, you don't care about ending the wars and avoiding new ones. If you don't care about this election, you don't care about protecting the environment from unregulated destruction in the name of fossil fuels - Romney consistently insults and mocks Obama for Obama's tremendous support of moving towards sustainable green energy sources.

Waiting for a "better" candidate than Obama is like saying you're not going to try writing any songs until you get a better guitar - all we have in this life is what is actually there, and all we can do is get out of bed and fight with the tools at hand, rather than waiting for better tools to come along.

Okay, enough ranting, I've got stuff to do!
Love to you all!
Jeff

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Some Spontaneous Thoughts and Replies

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Reality is not the same as this system or the politics you refer to Jeff.
It's a game and just because almost everyone plays it doesn't make it right or real.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To not vote for Obama is not to vote for Romney.
That is not a logical or true statement.
How is not voting for Romney voting for Romney?
To not vote for Obama and to not vote for Romney is just that--nothing more and nothing less.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally would not vote for anyone and I have explained before in some detail as to why.

"Okay, enough ranting, I've got stuff to do!"
-----Jeff
Speaking for myself I see posting right now as something I need to do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff, why do you believe that Obama will do anything he says he will do?
Didn't he promise you stuff 4 years ago?
Where is it?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
best president=worse human being

As far as good men in the White House goes Jimmy Carter was incredibly more honest and ecologically friendly than Obama.
(Jeff said in his lifetime. He was born sometime in the year Carter was elected.)
"Waiting for a "better" candidate than Obama is like saying you're not going to try writing any songs until you get a better guitar..."
There are better candidates. You just won't vote for one.
I, on the other hand, am not waiting for anything.
My life is a testament to what I believe and I find it more in alignement with reality than the U.S. political agenda.
I also find I live somewhat hypocritically, but unlike my detractors I see no reason to give up because of this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff, your mission is different from mine and there is room for both of us.
I respect you for following your heart and doing what you need to do to pay whatever karmic debt you have.
I do not demand or expect the same respect, but I deserve it.
Obama will win this 2012 United States of America Presidential election.
The corporate leaders are pleased with his obedience and his earnest, articulate ass-kissing.
He won't do the things you want him to do, but you'll have your man.
By the way, Romney would not do many of the things he claims he'd do either.

MMM's picture
MMM
Just a quick hello form

Just a quick hello form Hannover, Germany. I've gotta say it's kind of interesting how un-engaged people, over here, seem to be with the US election. I'm also secretly happy that I'm here for that. I followed it pretty close before we left in early October and I watched all the debates so far on youtube and I feel like it's important that Obama gets re-elected but I'm more realistic about what that means. I think most of my friends feel this way and I don't think that's a bad thing. We are seeing the cycle. I feel like we are just witnessing the de-super powering" (or "Super Powering Down" if you will) of America.

But I would recommend that people read a bit about Romney's history. There's a great article in The New Yorker recently. He's kind of a fucked up dude in my opinion.

The influence of stuff like OWS is clear, not so much directly, but in the words used in the political discussion. There is still so much rhetoric about our future. To me this is fear mongering. It's a typical political tactic. I live much more in the moment now so I have little time for it.

Just an interesting side note: I saw something about a surge of extreme Fascist/Xenophobic movements in Greece lately. And this makes perfect sense to me. It's really no different than the Religious Clerics in the middle east or the the Tea Party here. When countries fall on hard economic times these kinds of groups become popular.

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
There's just one thing that I

There's just one thing that I want to address here:

"Well, like it or not, NOT supporting Obama right now is the same as voting for Romney." - Jeff

It's not the same at all. If someone chooses to reject the system and not vote, they are not voting for anyone. When people voted for Nader, they voted for Nader. If someone votes for Jill Stein, they are voting for Jill Stein.

dina's picture
dina
A reason to vote

http://vimeo.com/m/51920265

Ok I hope I posted this link correctly .... I'll keep it short and sweet, watch this video for a few reasons to vote, regardless of whether you like either candidate

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
That video is exactly the problem

Its really great to watch, and of course You Dont Own Me is an amazing song and one of the cultural touchstones of 3rd wave feminism. BUT the message that voting for Obama (and against Romney) is somehow a vote in favor of a women's right not to be owned is not only wrong, its in the long run dis-empowering.

Feminist rights were not won at the ballot box they were won in the streets. Roe v Wade decision was in 1973. Who was President? Nixon (then Ford). Vietnam war also ended that year with those two in office. Its the culture of the country that determines things like this, not who is in elected office. Liberal Johnson ramped up the Vietnam war into what it became, and we now know that liberal Kennedy was loath to do anything sympathetic for the civil rights movement until pressured by the movement that Martin Luther King spearheaded (and frightened by the more powerful movement Malcom X spearheaded).

People need to worry less about voting and more about changing the culture on the ground and thinking about how that would happen. I think Jeff's music is more important than his vote. Barry's right that people have to vote their conscience, and not do the "hold their nose" thing. Voting, even under those circumstances, makes you complicit, and even if it doesn't feel like it, it will rot you from the inside. You have, however reticently, put your stamp of approval on the whole shebang. Its a small step from "rooting against Romney" to "rooting for Obama", which means rooting for expanded war, drone strikes, detentions, ceding to the right wing on abortion and other social questions, throwing nothing but platitudes and "personal responsibility" at the endemic racism in the country.

I saw this in person when my trans-gender niece went down to the WTC area after Osama was killed and participated in a pro-America rally, chanting "USA, USA!"--really? Rah rah for a country that would just as soon kill you as look at you for stepping outside of gender boundaries? And I dont think she would have been yelling with quite so much enthusiasm if Bush or Romney was president. And look at all the grief someone like Cornell West is getting for his criticisms of the president for things like war and the race issue, especially incarceration. The same things he said about Bush--and nothing about those things has changed, but now his "progressive friends" are telling him to sit down and be quiet.

True, the other guy promotes some things that are even worse. But why encourage people to pick between "worse" and "worser" without examining what the real problem is? As Obama's silence on (and I think complicity with) the attacks on Occupy Wall St prove, in the long run he doesn't care what happens to you, and he will do all the things Romney talks about if they become necessary to "save America" because thats his real job. But there will always be the threat of "well it would have been worse with the other guy". Tell that to the drone strike victims, or the 34% of the prison population that are Black men, or in fact the women in all those states that already can't get abortions because of clinics being closed down by threats of violence and "legal" barriers.

dina's picture
dina
tony, all of the points you

tony, all of the points you made are important and amazing, and i agree with a lot of them.
but in the meantime, it's my right to vote. and it's yours not too.

i think if someone doesn't want to, because they chose not to participate in a system they don't believe in, that is their right.

but at the end of the day i do believe that i would rather vote for someone, although still part of this broken system, that will at least will make sure millions of women still can go to planned parenthood and get pap smears, and check ups, and cancer screenings ( not just abortions and birth control, although that too). tons of women rely on that for their health care, and if Romney wins and appoints members of the supreme court, planned parenthood, roe vs wade, etc are in jeapardy.

i am not taking that risk for our country ( among other things Romney will do that are much worse than Obama)

dina's picture
dina
oh one more point, Tony....

oh one more point, Tony.... you said roe vs. wade was decided when nixon was president, but did nixon appoint all the supreme court justices that made the decision? i am honestly asking because i don't know the answer. i am assuming no though.
and true, that is not a decision Romney can make, but he can appoint supreme court justices, who can make that decision.
and he can also de-fund planned parenthood, which won't overturn roe vs. wade, but it can do a lot of damage to a lot of people...

and has anyone read lately what Romney has been saying about gay marriage and gay families and children? ok don't get me started... ugh

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
Hi all! I don't have much

Hi all!
I don't have much time to respond, and of course I won't be changing any minds anyway, but I thought I'd put in a quick response to think about regarding Barry's following statement:

"Jeff, why do you believe that Obama will do anything he says he will do?
Where is it?"

I recently took a look at my pro-Obama comic book/song from 2008, in which I mention some of what Obama was then promising, and I quote these Obama platforms from my own 2008 artwork:

1) Healthcare
2) Fight for a woman's continued right to choose
3) End the wars

He DID all of these things, despite often ENORMOUS opposition from the Republicans.

1) Obamacare would provide both Barry and myself with health insurance - I know I don't have health insurance, I don't know if Barry has health insurance. I can't imagine why any artist wouldn't want to support a politician who is trying to make sure that he/she can have health coverage if he/she doesn't have it. Romney, of course, has sworn to get rid of this healthcare bill immediately. Because the billionaires need to be richer, more than ordinary people need health insurance? That's awful. America is wealthy beyond belief - every civilized western nation has health care for its people - Obama is trying. And he didn't just promise it - he DID it. Unless the Republicans take power and kill it.

2) Obama has consistently spoken and ACTED on behalf of reproductive rights for women, including fighting to make sure that existing insurance plans include contraceptives (remember how the churches went nuts with Obama-hatred over this?!) and fighting to make sure Planned Parenthood does not get defunded (Romney plans to cut funding to Planned Parenthood, because with the tax cuts for the rich, he says there wouldn't be money for Planned Parenthood.). Notice that for some strange reason, the Republicans who are so anti-abortion are the same ones who are anti-contraception?!?! If they don't want women to have abortions, shouldn't they be promoting the use of contraceptives instead?! Anyway, this is another reason why I supported Obama in 2008 - and he has delivered the goods, again despite fierce opposition.

3) You may currently consider the ending of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to be some sort of inevitability, but it was Obama who actually did it. Can he snap his fingers and teleport all of those troops back home? No, but it's happening. This was NOT on the Republican agenda back in 2008 - it wasn't even on Romney's agenda a month ago, until Romney flip-flopped on it in the most recent debate and finally made a statement that he would definitely bring all the troops back home by 2014. It's happening because Obama said he would do it, and he DID it. Romney is just jumping on a "me too" platform, and only as of one week ago, and is maybe not even committed to this statement, whereas Obama has been consistent about this all along. Should Obama have done this faster? Maybe so. Some people wish he had done it faster, some people wish he'd do it slower.

Added bonus - Obama's support of the LGBT population has been far and away the most progressive of any president. He signed the Matthew Shepard hate crime bill AND he ended Don't Ask/Don't Tell AND he publicly came out in support of gay marriage rights. For a US president to do this is HUGE and takes tremendous courage and conviction in the face of, again, extreme opposition from the right wing.

Do I wish Obama had done more? Of course I do. But I profoundly disagree with your statement:
"Jeff, why do you believe that Obama will do anything he says he will do?
Where is it?"

I'm not sure what promises you are picturing, that you imagine he did not follow through on. Can you give us some examples?

True, he said he would close Guantanamo, and it proved to not be possible because of the opposition.

Some do see this as disappointing, but really it's a merely symbolic gesture compared to actually ENDING THE ILLEGAL IRAQ WAR AND BRINGING THE TROOPS HOME.

Plus, he's consistently pushing to move America towards cleaner energy (which is totally the opposite of the Republican platform of more coal, more oil drilling, more environmental damage, etc). Romney laughs like an evil super-villian at Obama's support of wind and solar energy.

And Obama is pushing to end the Bush tax cuts for the rich (tax cuts which Romney would make permanent, and then use this lack of tax income to justify cutting funding to Planned Parenthood, PBS, education, clean energy, etc., etc.).

Again - I don't think Obama is some perfect human, and there's a lot more I wish he would do, and there's certainly stuff he's done that I strongly disagree with.
But to say that he hasn't done anything is wrong. He's done a lot, he just seems oddly bad at publicizing it. If anything, I lament his PR failures more than his legislative failures. The fact that some folks are unaware of what Obama has done IS a failure on Obama's part. I fear that Obama assumes people are paying more attention than they actually are.

(so much for my plan to just put in a "quick response"!)

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
I hope to keep mine short as well.

Jeff, mainly I was asking you do you have the medical (it's not health) care that is so important to you.
I was thinking he promised you that last time.
I could be wrong.

Obama is a liar.
He's shallow and insincere.
I don't care that he's black, thin, has a law degree, and speaks more articulately than George Bush.

When you vote you throw your support behind that person---you also basically request that they lead you.
You don't vote against someone--you vote for someone.

Say you are a good parent with two small children and you call an agency to send a maid over for the day.
They send a pedophile and a canibal.
You wouldn't say "Well, I have to pick one and it's better to have my child sexually molested than killed so I'll take the pedophile".
You'd reject both.
(This is assuming you believe in using agencies to begin with.)

Jeff, Obama is a liar.
He is an opportunist.
He's a power hungry psycho, as is Romney.

Not only do I reject both, but I reject the idea that I must pick someone to be my leader.

Nothing I have read here advocating voting (let alone for this weirdo) has even touched me regarding my stance.

PS It's a very tangled ball of rusty wire.
The medical system is fraught with greed and corruption, the U.S. President's agenda is still to carry on with this "American Dream" expansion/oppression, the majority is seldom if ever right, fascism in a stark form is rearing it's head in Greece, the Israeli government is torturing millions of people, stealing land, and threatening to start a war with Iran, it goes on and on.

PPS I'm still an anarchist (I guess that's the best word for it), albeit an imperfect one.

PPPS I too went longer than I wanted to.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Here Jeff

I know you'll like this. My friend Brian wrote it, he's a pretty smart guy. He also turned me on to Rocky Anderson, so given that I'm in a Blue state I'm going to protest vote. But here you are!

http://www.epinions.com/content_5672640644

Bee K's picture
Bee K
VOTE!