Publishing-songwriting deals/contracts?

9 replies [Last post]
Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.

I'm wondering....has anyone in our little crew ever had a deal with a company to WRITE songs? and did this ever lead to income?

I am so not making money anywhere right now. It's serious.

I don't make money as a performer, and that's a problem I may never fix, having not fixed it by my mid 40s. So be it. I have problems and limitations alongside my talents. I also have a few fans who really like what I do, and I am sort of content with my lot, artistically. I'm still getting better, and I'd love to have a breakthrough, but I'm not expecting miracles at my age.

Nonetheless, I think some of my songs are highly coverable and perhaps commercially viable in the hands of someone else. I wonder if there is some way I could be "selling" my songs....without giving up my publishing. I also have a significant backlog of wordless songs, stretching back to my teens. I think some of these could make for good movie or commercial music. Because, they are good tunes.

Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want this to be about me. I think this situation may apply to any number of people in our community.

Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
Nuthin?

A hundred people have read this and nobody has weighed in? I'm guessing the answer is....Nobody has had such a contract to write music, from our community, who posts here.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

I would have found comments from people with experience interesting.

As for myself I have no experience with any of this at all---and possibly never will.

Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
And yet, you are one of the

And yet, you are one of the finest.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

Steve, you have the talent and skill to do what you are talking about.
Can you be more specific?
Would you like to write songs for Broadway, country music artists, varied?
You'd also like to loan out prewritten songs I see.
Have you read much online about this?

Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
Varied! Even though I am not

Varied! Even though I am not a country performer, I suspect several of my songs are adaptable to that genre.

and no, I have not read much online about this. I don't even know where to begin. I'd rather begin with humans I know.

MMM's picture
MMM
We spoke with a licensing guy

Schwervon! spoke with a licensing guy once about our music. We even signed a 6 month contract. But nothing ever really came of it. "La la's, ukulele, and hand claps." was the advice he gave us. That's when I knew this wasn't really something I wanted to pursue. Not that I have anything against La la's, ukulele's or hand clap. I just knew that I didn't want it enough to work that hard at it. Advertising depresses the Hell out of me. Aside from luck, I think hard work or fame go a long way towards success in that world. In my limited experience as a commercial sound engineer I noticed that this field is incredibly competitive. For every artist like the Moldy Peaches who happen to land a lucky sync licensing deal like Juno, there are hundreds of professional musicians, with a variety of experience and professional training, who are aggressively working, every day, to find work in this field. They have publicists and personal connections and more resources than I'll ever care to have in this world. When it comes to my art I like to leave all channels open. And under the right circumstances I bet it could even be fun but pursuing work like this, for me, has always resulted in a stomach ache really fast.

"Here to do great things."

Herb's picture
Herb
Steve - I'm by no means an

Steve - I'm by no means an expert but a while back I did do a fair amount of reading on this and took a couple classes. It can all be very confusing. I agree with you that some of your songs have potential to be of interest to the right performer.

In terms of writing for other artists, very often it's the publishing companies that go out and get those opportunities, then share the royalties with the songwriter. What's confusing about this is the term "publishing." We usually think of publishing as the printing of a book or magazine, but the term means something different in the songwriting world. If you find a good publisher, that person or company will be actively pitching your songs to artists likely to record them. I forget how it works but the songwriter automatically keeps something like 50% of the royalties and then I think the split between songwriter and publisher over the rest is negotiable. The royalties come from the sale of records to consumers. So, while the royalty for each song sold might not seem like that much, it can add up to a lot, particularly if the song is popular over a long time period.

Large publishers like Sony and Polydor try to acquire libraries of songs that almost automatically will generate a lot of revenue. So, whoever owns the publishing rights to Hound Dog or My Way, doesn't have to do much to get the songs recorded. In your case, however, you would want to find a small or medium-sized publisher who would be motivated to pitch your songs specifically to artists who might logically want to record them. Some artists do keep their publishing rights, meaning they don't share royalties with anyone, but for someone without a name reputation, it's not necessarily a good idea (although this really depends on the specifics of the situation). Adam Green might want to publish his songs himself because they will automatically generate revenue from being included on his records and why should he share that with anyone? On the other hand, a publisher might add something to the value of the songs by getting other artists to record them--so Adam (or someone like him) might determine it is valuable to work with a publisher.

Aside from "publishing" songs make income from other sources - BMI and ASCAP collect performance royalties - mostly from airplay on radio and TV and I assume, now, Internet (i.e. Pandora). Synchronization licenses are for TV shows, movies, and commercials.

One of my songwriting teachers pointed out that there are songwriting "tip sheets" in which producers and managers trying to find songs for artists advertise what they're looking for. I don't know which are the best ones but here's one I found through a quick Internet search: http://www.songquarters.com. This teacher said he'd sold songs that way. These newsletters can be expensive, but it may be possible to find creative ways to cut those costs.

I'm sure you've looked for info about this stuff on the Internet, but here's an informative article I found:

http://www.legaljungleguide.com/resourc/musician/articles/songwriting.htm

I've noticed that not too many Sidewalk artists make the effort to find publishing arrangements and get their songs recorded. I don't think it's particularly easy to accomplish this but I'll bet it's not impossible. Like everything else of this nature it takes a lot of determination. I think you know people who have publishing arrangements in place. Maybe some of them would help you get their publishers to listen to your stuff or just give you advice on how to proceed.

Another thing is that when I first started writing songs I took a class with a guy who was a publisher and he was teaching the class as a way of finding songwriters. It's possible to meet people like this through milking whatever contacts or networks you can find.

Although I can't vouch for this company, it's worth looking into: http://www.taxi.com

You probably already know a lot of this stuff but I hope it is helpful to you or someone else who comes along.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Grey Revell song used in Hewlett Packard ad
Steve E.'s picture
Steve E.
That's fantastic!

That's fantastic! You go Grey!

Hey Herb, MMM and Barry, thanks for all your suggestions and feedback.