Hurricane Sandy Report?

15 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Anyone care to share what's going on? We're in Cardiff, UK this morning and I'm starting to get a bit worried about the news. Please check in any East Coasters and let us know how you're doing.
XO
Matt and Nan
IMG_2763

"Here to do great things."

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Bronx, NY, USA

As of 131pm Monday it's rainy, fairly bright out, and pretty windy.

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
Now its windier

As of 4PM Monday its still sort of bright but more windy then when Barry posted. Brooklyn has a lot of flooding and I saw a picture of the Hoboken train station under water. A bunch of trees fell down, including one right in front of Neil and Hallie. In Queens its not so bad yet although I bet Astoria Park is flooding down near the water. We have electricity and all that stuff.

MMM's picture
MMM
Anyone got anything from the

Anyone got anything from the LES (our old hood). Phoebe? Jeff? You okay? Saw some pretty disturbing pics.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Bronx----8am, Tuesday

Didn't see any destruction here.
It's now cloudy and drizzly with a little wind.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Sidewalk

As far as I know from Nick Nace and Leah Milstein (who live above Sidewalk) the power in that area is still out. I doubt that Amnon or any of the owners have been able to reach the venue to access damage (he lives in Jersey). No flooding as far as I know (Sidewalk is in Zone C) but I'm sure that all the food is spoiled. We're still taking it day by day, but I imagine that it won't be a matter of when Sidewalk is open as much as when they can restock their kitchen in order to sell something. Events tonight are canceled and I'll wait for the good word. Might be bottled beer and liquor for a while if they feel that opening up the bar and back room only is worth it.

MMM's picture
MMM
Thanks Ben. Can you explain

Thanks Ben. Can you explain the zone system to me. I'm wondering about around our old place on Suffolk st. or Phoebe's place (basement apartment) or somewhere like the cake shop? Nan and I send our love.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Hopefully

if there was frozen meat, etc. some folks went in and got it and took it home.

Matt, did you email Phoebe and get no reply?

MMM's picture
MMM
I heard that Phoebe and Matt

I heard that Phoebe and Matt managed to make it out and presently on tour in Europe but I was wondering about her mom and her apartment? But It appears that she was in the no flood zone.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
This is pretty good.
Bee K's picture
Bee K
Here you go, Matt. If this

Here you go, Matt. If this search link doesn't work, I got it at nyc.gov's hurricane zone map by entering in the Sidewalk's address. It gives you a few of the area and explains why there was a ton of flooding on Avenue C, but not on A where we were.

Until they can drain the water and test the power, though, the whole area is incapacitated.

http://gis.nyc.gov/oem/he/map.htm?lon=-73.98363127101187&lat=40.72548027...

I doubt the food was salvaged, Barry. They actually use all fresh meat these days (they grind it there), and no one was even able to get into the club for days.

I hear a few bartenders opened up the bar area last night with candles. Ray Brown said that the bars in areas of Chelsea (?) were packed with people who walked up from the LES and SoHo. People are starting to get stir crazy down there. It's a relatively smaller problem to have than some people, but I sympathize: we're losing our minds out here since the kids are used to romping around the parks 10 hours a week (and they're all closed until they can inspect the trees...and there are a lot of half broken branches).

MMM's picture
MMM
Just got this info form the

Just got this info form the Blue Stockings email list. For any friends in need living in the LES or East Village area.
For more information, or to get involved with relief efforts on a community
level:
https://lowereastside.recovers.org
http://caaav.org/update-on-caaavs-efforts-post-hurricane-sandy-volunteer...
http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy
http://signup.madeinles.org

Bluestockings will be having a flashlight/candlelight potluck tomorrow, Friday
11/2, from 12pm-5pm, and will be available to the community as a place for LES
volunteers to organize, distribute supplies, information, etc. Bring food,
beverages, old-fashioned electricity-free entertainment (board games, arts and
crafts supplies, etc.) or just yourself. You are all invited to come hang out
at Bluestockings, and help us bring a little life back to the Lower East Side!

Bee K's picture
Bee K
We're in the process of doing

We're in the process of doing something similar at Sidewalk if I can organize it in time. Check out this huffington post link, it has ways to help out organized by area:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/hurricane-sandy-how-to-help_n_2...

MMM's picture
MMM
PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE WITHOUT POWER IN MANHATTAN

I don't want to be too alarmist and I would recommend researching this as much as possible but I just got this little note from my friend BJ who knows something about this stuff.

"Matt - I have expertise in infrastructure disaster preparation and response. The power station may take months to repair if what I think happened did happen. The large transformers that apparently shorted out are generally custom builds and not off the shelf items. Construction time for a large transformer is measured in weeks to months. The video showed at least two (probably more like 6) of these things blowing up and catching fire. Make sure your friends on that end of town are prepared for many weeks off the grid, and there really isn't a whole lot anyone can do to speed it up."

Also just saw this article. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/nyregion/power-restoration-after-hurri...

dina's picture
dina
That's Great Ben, thanks

That's Great Ben, thanks
That way people can help in different ways. We r lucky up where I am, I'm gonna go help clean up the parks Saturday , yes the kids are going stir crazy....

Bee K's picture
Bee K
The kids are going nuts here

The kids are going nuts here as well.

I pulled the event at Sidewalk for tomorrow night because I'm still "in the dark" with management about everything going on there. One of the volunteer projects for seniors in the area got back to me, but it seemed as if nonpersishable food wasn't what they needed right now (they are having a meeting tomorrow to reassess where they can direct aid/volunteers).

I think I'd rather see if I can round up a group of volunteers over the weekend when my kid hands are freed up.

Basically, that whole area seems to be a bit of a mess.

Ben