Anybody see the film Lincoln?

12 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Wasn't it amazing!? Anyone can hold a sign and bitch about what they want. It takes a different kind of courage to try and convince a group of people to make a collective decision about something.

"Here to do great things."

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Yes it do

bribery helped a lot too

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

MMM's picture
MMM
It always does.

It always does.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Was this quote in the movie?

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.
------Lincoln

MMM's picture
MMM
Not that quote specifically

Not that quote specifically but if you are saying that Lincloln was hypocritical and at times even two faced then yes this was a strong theme of the film. The broader message being nothing gets done in politics without it. I think you'd find the film interesting.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

In this case I wasn't saying anything.
I simply supplied the quote--wondering how accurate the movie was.

I wasn't taught much about Lincoln's stances in school.

MMM's picture
MMM
I felt educated after

I felt educated after watching this film. It was based off of a section of this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_of_Rivals:_The_Political_Genius_of_Abr...

dizozza's picture
dizozza
django double feature

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on the other 2012/1860 period piece...

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Just Saw Django

And I loved it... and I'm not even a fan of westerns. I'm not sure if Sergio Leone or Clint Eastwood would enjoy it, but I thought it was just great, all 2 hrs & 45 minutes of it (let's hear it for the "pause" button). It had laughs, a love story, good vs. evil, right vs. wrong, blood, all that good stuff that make movies enjoyable for everyone. Typical Tarantino. And if Christoph Waltz doesn't win his second Oscar for his performance then the Oscar's are fixed! Don Johnson is a hoot too!
I'd give it best picture nod, but Lincoln really wow'd me more.
Just don't take it as historical in any sense of the imagination, its just a good time at the movies.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Lincoln

I just watched the trailer on youtube.
I found it a bit realistic and a bit ridiculous.

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
Django

Haven't gotten to Django yet, loved Lincoln, Argo was ok, but Cloud Atlas was mind blowing.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Ishmael Reed’s review of Django Unchained
Bee K's picture
Bee K
I haven't seen Django yet, but...

Everything I've read seems to suggest that, because of the topic, everyone's feeling compelled to write an essay on it, when in actuality, it sounds like in terms of Tarantino's film career, it's simply a bit of a misfire, maybe a big one. He's certainly put out a variety of movies, and most of them touch in racial issues in America in one way or another. I'd prefer to see more writing that moves past the issue of whether Django was a good idea or not turns the focus onto how audiences and critics are reacting to it. That's probably more important than Tarantino's intent. Everything I've read about the guy suggests that he means well, even if he's a kooky director.