To all musicians/artists who know me.

11 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

Hey,
Would you be so kind as to post here on what you're doing. I am officially out of the NYC loop and I've been pretty focused on my own shit for the past 10 months. So, I'd selfishly love to know what you are up to. New projects, ideas, recordings, dances, pictures, poems, bands, tours, youtubes, films etc. I'm serious. I'm feeling a bit isolated and I need new artistic stimulation. I love getting turned on my by friends. Please don't be shy. I just got a couple of nice Kung Fu Crimewave post cards and they really made my day. Thanks KFC!

Also if you'd like to expound more on a particular subject please feel free to turn it into an OJ blog here: http://www.olivejuicemusic.com/node/add/blog

Love
Major Matt

"Here to do great things."

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

After perhaps 6 months or more of no shows or show offers I got two.
One Anders offered me (he plays the drumkit with St. Claire who I will be opening for), and the other at Sidewalk (fest--20th anniversary).
I am looking forward to playing and seeing some friends play.

As usual here in NYC, a few pedestrians and a few cyclists were killed by other folks driving cars.
From what I can tell the official statement is usually "No criminality suspected", regarding the drivers, when this occurs.

There was a fire in Soho.

Two people (two seperate incidents) got pushed in front of a subway train (and were killed) recently.

I got a raise.

Bryan and the Aardvarks were invited to be part of the New York City Winter Jazz Festival.

MMM's picture
MMM
Thanks Barry. Congrats on the

Thanks Barry. Congrats on the raise and the gig. Thanks for the info about Bryan too. They really deserve that.

Jennlindsay's picture
Jennlindsay
hi! i miss you!

Hey MMM! I saw your link on Facebook and had to sign up and say hi!

I am living in Boston and just completed my coursework for my PhD. When I grew up I became an anthropologist. I work and teach out of the Religious Studies Department at Boston University. I study how religion affects personal identity and relationships, particularly interfaith relationships, families, and coworkers. I love it. I am honored to do my fieldwork in Rome, where I am trying to tell the story of this interfaith magazine run by Catholics, ex-Catholics, Zen Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, and Protestants. I love teaching, and I try to use music and films and photography to bring religious ideas and art alive for my students. This year I'll be taking my comprehensive exams, and next year I will probably move to Rome for a few years for my dissertation research, and continue my work with an ecumenical group in the North near Turin. I live in Rome in the summer too...you and Nan are welcome anytime! We'll drink olive juice together. No really.

I haven't been writing much music lately but every now and then a song falls out of me when I pick up the old axe. My music got way better when I stopped trying to live off it. Too bad nobody really hears it anymore. I often wish I could pop down to NYC for a day with you at OJ Studios and get these songs down. Someday I must bust out the Garageband before they all fritter back into the abyss from whence they came.

But last summer I got to play a show on the Italian island of Cagliari, and my boyfriend is the lead singer of an Italian metal band (!), so homegrown music will never be far from my grasp.

I thought of you guys recently when il mio amore and I were eating awful bbq in San Diego. I thought, damn, time for a road trip to see Major and Nan and Gummo in Kansas. I bet they know where the good meat is.

Love,
Jenn

MMM's picture
MMM
That sounds amazing Jenn.

That sounds amazing Jenn. Thanks for that. I've only been to Italy once for like 2 days. I really wanna travel around there more. Italian heavy metal boyfriend?!!? Awesome. Yes, if there's one thing that KC takes very seriously it's Barbecue. Take care.

justjill's picture
justjill
what I'm up to...

Hey MMM,

I've been recording a new album-more on the rocky side this time. I'm mid way, overdubbing at this point. I've been doing alot of photography, getting my photos in national shows in galleries. This artistic stuff along with seeing art, going to galleries, has been keeping my spiritual/artistic side alive. Miss you!

jill

jill gewirtz

MMM's picture
MMM
Cool. Please promise to post

Cool. Please promise to post here when the new stuff is ready for the general public ears. Also do you have a photo blog or something? Would like to check it out.

justjill's picture
justjill
Hey Matt

Here's some of photos. You and Toby are in the musician portrait section, along with Lenny Molotov!

jill

jill gewirtz

Bee K's picture
Bee K
What's up

I've started planning my new record. Plenty of great material since the last one (2007!). My drummer and I both have kids now, which makes things a little trickier, but I've been sending him demos that he returns to me with drum ideas. I'd like to head into the studio in the spring and knock out three takes of each drum track in a few hours, then head to the home studio to do everything else, and mixdown back in the studio. I think this is going to be a loud record. All of the songs are great on their own, but they've got pop potential. So I'd like to Copper Blue the crap out of them.

I'm writing a bit. Not as often as I used to, but because of that it seems like my batting average has gone up in terms of what comes out of my head and how it resonates with people.

My family is great. I started a new blog on my site with a domain name: http://www.meconium.net

There are a lot of posts about my adventures in the NYC homeschooling community, and I've started to post my favorite pictures there instead of on Facebook.

I've started going to bed between 8:30-10pm about four or five nights a week and getting up at 4/4:30. I'm way more productive and creative.

We cut up our credit cards over the summer and haven't used them since.

SideWalk is getting ready to celebrate 20 years of having a stage. That job is always a stressful in one way or another, but whenever I simply list everything about it out on paper, just the facts, without my feelings, it still looks like the coolest job in the world. Doing that really helps me keep a healthy perspective instead of let my reactions be part of the problem.

I'm still struggling with my weight. I've stopped eating or drinking anything at SideWalk, and that's helping!

MMM's picture
MMM
Thanks B. Nice blog. Loved

Thanks B. Nice blog. Loved the Ken Robinson TED talk clip. Wish I could be at the 20 year thing but well, yeah, money. Take care.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
To all ♫

the ♪ girls I've ♫ loved before.......

justjill's picture
justjill
whoops

jill gewirtz