2012 Music wrap up by Tone on Rule Of Thumb blog

9 replies [Last post]
Tone-new's picture
Tone-new

In this episode, Tone examines two types of aesthetic sensibilities and describes what he remembers liking about 2012, while getting dictatorial about Schwervon, wistful about Taylor Swift, reverent about Erin Regan, excited about Agent Ribbons, and nostalgic about Graham Parker. Frank Ocean, Dots Will Echo, and A Deer, A Horse also make appearances. 2012, we miss you already.
http://sarafoss.com/post/living-through-2012-my-year-in-music

MMM's picture
MMM
I love this article. Thanks

I love this article. Thanks for the kind words!

"Here to do great things."

Bee K's picture
Bee K
Taylor is so dreamy.

Taylor is so dreamy.

Herb S.'s picture
Herb S.
The post on Tone's blog has

The post on Tone's blog has some superb writing about music. I particularly like his descriptions of Schwervon! and Erin Regan. It can be tough to capture in writing what is so captivating about the artists we love. So, it's nice when someone else can explain it well.

I'm having a hard time, however, getting on board with the love for Taylor Swift that seems to be popping up here and there in the OJ world. I have to reserve judgement until I dig into her stuff a little more deeply, but if that We Will Never (Ever!) Get Back Together song is any indication of her work in general, I'm not buying it! Any referrals to her masterpieces are welcome.

MMM's picture
MMM
I'm kind of with you this one

I'm kind of with you this one Herb. I've got a friend here who's 10 year old daughter is totally crazy for the TS and I can appreciate that but have a hard time taking her too seriously myself.

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
Taylor

Ha ha you guys are so OLD!

Also but: just imagine that this performance took place at Sidewalk with someone who wasn't famous but maybe just took the train in from somewhere in Bushwick with her guitar and then tell me you wouldn't appreciate it. If you still don't, well then you don't oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2obMo7y-rvA

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Watched part of the Taylor Swift video

She has talent, of course.
The way she uses it does not interest me.

Would I be her friend?
Sure.

Would Lach have given her a gig?
Sure.
(We already know Ben would.)

If the first song is an indicator of her work then I recognize her as a talented and probably sincere and nice songwriter and singer that doesn't really speak to me personally.

Tone-new, do you see her as an artist that is taking real chances?

MMM's picture
MMM
I think Barry expressed it

I think Barry expressed it well. She clearly has talent. I'm not denying her that but like Herb said I haven't found her material that really hits me in the guts. Is she the next Joni Mitchell? I guess that remains to be seen. If a girl came into the Sidewalk Cafe and started talking about her "writing team" I'd get a little turned off. You kind of summed it up well in your article. She's like the hot popular girl in high school who gets everything. And now she gets to be a rockstar too? I'm more into rooting for the underdog I guess.

I suppose I AM turning into a bit of an old fogey. Found this album for 3 bucks in a used record bin and am falling in love with it all over again.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Death Grips

Death Grips may be the most important musical act to come along since Nirvana.
In terms of energy, originality, artistic integrity, and their fearlessness I rank them right there with the Sex Pistols.
No one is more important than these guys.

If interested enough you can start with Ex-Military, their debut from 2011.
it's available for free on their website, along with their last one.
(The one in the middle is not available for free. I bought that one and am glad that I did.)

These guys have a unique vision, and they walk the walk.
These guys are amazing.

PS Yes, they have a real drummer.
See live videos to see what I mean.

death-grips-2012.jpg
Herb S.'s picture
Herb S.
I appreciate the chance to

I appreciate the chance to hear her in a solo acoustic setting. She's not untalented, but I think ultimately her songs are pretty shallow. There was a bit of quirkiness to the 22 song, but in the end it was still what I think of as a diary song.

I don't begrudge her the success she's had though. If people respond to her, that's great, and I think she has probably inspired a lot of people to pick up a guitar. There's something cool about pop stardom in a way. As silly as some of the groups were that I listened to when I was younger, I still have good memories of them. It will be interesting to see how Taylor Swift's songwriting develops and if she brings her fans with her into new territory as she and they mature.