For 1st time since 1999, music revenues inch up

7 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

"Here to do great things."

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Tiny critique and some information/quotes.

"Industry revenue is up. A measly 0.3 percent, but it's still up."

That could be because of mistakes made in calculations/comparisons or it could be nothing but a random fluke, or it could be completely accurate.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We're on the path to recovery," said Frances Moore, whose International Federation of the Phonographic Industry put together the figures released in a report Tuesday. "There's a palpable buzz in the air."

Those figures certainly do not prove anything, let alone that they are on the path to recovery.
More than likely that is a prediction based on hopeful thinking.
They may later be quite embarassed over these statements.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some artists are looking at things differently.
Let's look at one of the most important musical acts on Earth right now---yep, Death Grips.
This is Zach Hill in a recent interview:

Pitchfork: When you say it'll be bigger in scope, what do you mean?

ZH: We mean every aspect of the album. The idea is what what we do next would transcend the idea of an "album." We want to work with [Megaupload founder] Kim Dotcom, so we're trying to make contact with him. There's no rules in our mind ever, about anything, so it all depends on who can help us maximize it or get closer to achieving the things [Stefan and I] talked about before we ever made a sound together.

Pitchfork: Considering you gave your album away for free and then used your advance money on the hotel, do you care about making money from music?

ZH: No, no. That's never really had anything to do with it for us. We believe information should be free. In the physical world, with an object or item, it's understandable why you pay for that. But charging people for something that's digital, that's in the ether-- it makes sense but it's strange. We have records for sale, but it's hard for us to wrap our heads around not also providing the option of getting it for free digitally, like a weird spirit out in the machine.

-----That is Zach Hill, not me, but how are these record companies going to handle artsists like these guys (or are they not)?

PS These aren't sour grapes guys with no offers. These are the guys that were signed to Epic owned by Sony.

PPS Also, note that while "Moore urged governments to follow the example of the international enforcement action against Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom", Death Grips "want to work with him".
---------------------------------------------------------------
Just to throw more info on the pile--there is this:
"We have now confirmed with both the band’s publicist and BitTorrent that the 34-million-plus downloads that made Death Grips the top legally-traded artist on BitTorrent took place before this album was leaked."
http://evolver.fm/2012/11/05/did-death-grips-become-the-top-legal-artist...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MMM's picture
MMM
They're okay. I don't really

They're okay. I don't really know their back story. I'm having trouble really getting into the music. A bit too testosteroney for me at this juncture in my life. I've heard quite a bit about them through various indie music sources. I'm always a bit leery of bands on major labels that I see using all the same typical "hipster" media outlets talk about "revolitionizing" things.

While were at it I'm kind of sick of bands that have major label support and then turn around and put out their own stuff and act like their doing it on their own. Sure it's easy to be DIY when you just had a major label drop $30,000 on promo for your last album and hooked you up with the top publicist and booking agent that made sure your debut single got a good review on Pitchfork and that you were booked in all the appropriate clubs across the country for your last tour. Like I said I don't know their history and I'm sure I'll find an in with them that works for me at some point. I often end up loving bands that I'm not so into at first. But for now they're not turning my world inside out.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
In this case

I believe it is good that you are saying you don't know the story.
Two years ago they were playing in Brooklyn basements.
They put out Ex-Military themselves (3 guys).

So, they were doing it on their own first.

It is, in my opinion, a phenomonal recording.
They had met with numerous recording companies before putting out their third thing.
Epic was into the music as far as Zach Hill could tell, but then a lot of the folks that were their when they got signed left and no one was getting back to them.
They decided they weren't willing to wait any longer to have it out.
They did a few other things as well--supposedly with the goal of being let out of the agreement.

They did have a bit of notice automatically because Zach Hill has been playing in bands for ten years and is well-known in some circles (Anders knew who he was right away.)
Pitchfork getting into them, for whatever reason, is not something I hold against them.

Not everybody is moved by the same stuff, but if you are interested, this is a good interview with Zach:

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9004-death-gripz/

Truth is, if you do not like them now, you probably won't.
Soon as I saw the photo of Stefan I was interested.
I then listened to the music and liked it.
I then read some interviews.
To each her/his own.

MMM's picture
MMM
Saw from one of their videos

Saw from one of their videos that they play to a backing track with vocals. Not a big fan of that. Their music aside. I think the idea of releasing a Megaupload album/video whatever is a cool idea but regardless your talking about a project that require deep pockets and specific connections.

I would be willing to bet that all of this stuff wouldn't have been possible for Death Grips without their advances and connections to and through Epic records, who are a major label still concerned with selling records. So, in a way it's still the music sales that fuel this stuff. It's just like Averil Lavigne's record sales.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

I read your comment/reply and now am not saying any more about it.

It's not for me to attempt to change minds.

MMM's picture
MMM
Fair enough. I by no means am

Fair enough. I by no means am trying to say that Death Grips are or aren't a good band. These are just my opinions. The fact that you like them intrigues me because I like you and your music. I like exploring the the claim that they are in some way reshaping the "music industry" with the way they do business and portray themselves in the media. I find all of that very interesting. I could be wrong with my speculative claims? I'll try to learn more about their path.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

I only encourage people to investigate something to the extent that they are interested in it.