Occupy Wall Street

65 replies [Last post]
Anders's picture
Anders
Chris Hedges

"any belief that the formal structure of power including the democratic party are going to ameliorate the injustices being visited upon us is self delusion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKw2j3XOY0&feature

MMM's picture
MMM
This is happening right now.

"Here to do great things."

beau's picture
beau
Jeff Madrick, economics

Jeff Madrick, economics columnist for the NY Times, has posted a blog on the New York Review of Books (not associated with the Times) web site; he and a Nobel economist did a teach-in recently at OWS . . here's the link http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/oct/11/zuccotti-park-education...

~ beau

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
----------------------------------------------

From the OWS site:

"Demands: A group claiming to be on the verge of issuing demands for #OWS has gotten the attention of a story hungry media. We are our demands."

"Occupy Wall Street is a post-political movement representing something far greater than failed party politics."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the idea of self rule as opposd to majority rule.
I suppose if I were in a band, and not solo, or solo with a back-up band, it would have to be unanimous decision rule.

How do bands like Kung-Fu Crimewave and Huggabroomstick decide stuff?

Jeannie's picture
Jeannie
??

We are our demands.

I don't even know what that means.

Yes, its me. You may now genuflect.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
My take on it--roughly.

They feel they have made demands in the past and have actually not only not been helped, but have been harmed further, so they are ready to work outside of the system--meaning not acknowledging the system by begging it for anything.

I thought from some stff that I had been reading that they were making a list of demands and considering forming a political party--which I found gross personally, but after reading stuff on their own site I have found this not to be the case, though they are planning a National Convention..

rachel's picture
rachel
Interesting panel discussion

Streamed this live tonight...I think they will be posting the video soon...
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/10/the-big-story-wal...

Finally made it to zuccotti park today. Still processing...was impressed by a lot of what was happening - people who are there who are doing good work. A bit chaotic. I would like to make it back for a general assembly before I leave for India though I have the feeling folks are in for the long haul and will still be there at the end of November.

Anyone going this Saturday?

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
I would like to remind

some of you that the OWS thing in Zuccoti Park is just one form that this "movement" takes.
Realize that by living the way some of y'all do, and by being a part of the artist community you are a part of, you are setting an example as strong as any.
It's not the form we need to get caught up in.
As a mater of fact, some--(maybe only a few)--at Zuccotti Park are just there for the food and fame.

I dare say that I have been living in a way that is helpful and sets a good example most of my life.
I am sure some of y'all have too.

For instance, I hear they are discussing advocating a boycott of shopping on "Black Friday".
Some of us have been doing that for 30 years.

Don't get caught up in the form.
If you know in your heart that you are living a good life--carry on.
Whether you visit Zuccotti or not is irrelevant.

PS When I visited I had a nice experience---especially the meditating/drum circle time.

PPS The community is not so much based on actually being in the same area. It's about our true link and our true bond through effortless openness and helpfulness.
Some don't call it protest or a movement.
Some see it as normal living.

MMM's picture
MMM
I agree with everything you

I agree with everything you said Barry. Not everyone can camp out there and not everyone should. One of the great things about the park is that it's a good space to facilitate conversation. Most of the real action happens in the various committees. I just think the buzz and vibe of the park gets people excited about what can be a very tedious process. It's an uplifting environment. This is a bit harder to do outside in the world of work and distractions.

I think for this stuff to really work it's important to set similar meetings amongst more local communities. I'm not talking about camping out, I'm just talking about maybe holding more local GA's. I've been throwing out the idea here and there but I'm not really getting much response. We've all shown that we can be committed to a musical scene in one form or another. I don't see why we can't transfer that energy to something like a regular local GA or something like that. I know that we all fear over committing ourselves but I think a lot of good could come out of trying to do something like this. Obviously, they help create a consensus for getting things done in a community but they're also a great place to network and meet people and make friends. I think that's all part of it.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Zuccoti---November 3rd 2011

They have a few bike generators now.
Actually, you ride the bike and the wheel turns another wheel which charges a battery that looks sort-of like a car battery.

Ever since I heard they had this I have been thinking that now I knew something concrete I could do to contribute.

I went out there for the first time in 2 weeks today.

It was more densely packed because now there are tents all over the place.
Media is very enclosed in tarps--like a cave.
The kitchen is all under a big tarp.

One guy manning a booth said that it was going to not last unless some people branched off and went to another park.
I just listened and then moved on.

There was a lady already waiting to ride the stationary generator bike.
The bike next to it was being worked on.
The woman got on and rode for maybe 15-20 minutes and then I got on.
I had ridden for about 20 minutes when a young woman asked could she do it, so I got off and walked around.
There was a good debate going on between a Wall Street type business man and two or three other people---all looking at things from a different angle.
Most of them said stuff I agreed with and stuff I disagreed with.

MMM's picture
MMM
Yeah!

MMM's picture
MMM
Happy Anniversary!

MMM's picture
MMM
YOU ALL NEED TO READ THIS DOCUMENT!

If anyone was to ever question whether or not there is a concerted propaganda machine chugging away behind Washington D.C. you should check this out: http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/19/8884405-lobbying-firms...

$850,000 could buy a lot of beans and rice down at Liberty Park. After reading the article, I would urge you to click on the link and download the memo. It's pretty enlightening.

----
Initially 2 quotes from the document pop out at me.

"It may be easy to dismiss OWS as a ragtag group of protesters but they have have demonstrated that they should be treated more like an organized competitor who is very nimble and capable of working the media, coordinating third party support and engaging office holders to do their bidding."

I love how the opposition gives more respect to the movement than mainstream press or any Republican candidate to date. The very language they use to attack the opposition outs them as hired hatchet men with no consideration for the issues behind their employer's campaigns.

----

"It will be vital to understand who is funding it and what their backgrounds and motives are. If we can show they have the same cynical motivation as a political opponent it will undermine their credibility in a profound way. A key strategic goal will ultimately be to show any evidence of fraud on the other side."

Yep, you heard right. They just called themselves cynical (or their clients at least). The really funny thing about this statement is that I think most people involved with OWS would consider this a favor. It's all about tearing away the curtain. One of the drawbacks to centralized leadership is the difficulty with policing. And and one of the biggest problems with policing is policing the police (hmm sounds familiar, especially lately.) It's the genius about functioning transparently and openly engaging the public with consensus decision making. If OWS sticks to to their mantra of being a transparent, non violent public group they'll have these guys working for them in a couple of years. I mean, when it comes down to it, the bar ain't that high. All we have to do is be less shifty than the Democratic and Republican Parties.

MMM's picture
MMM
Occupy Wall Street protesters

Occupy Wall Street protesters win legal victory in Brooklyn bridge arrests
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/08/occupy-wall-street-bridge-vi...

Good News! Curious to know if Neil, Hallie, and Luke will be taking part in the class action suit?

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
While there was a lot of

While there was a lot of shouting and hooting and hollering going on, making it hard to tell if the police said anything, I never saw any cop waving us to go another way or heard any announcement.
While I was pretty damned sure that we did not have permission to go onto the bridge--it was my experience that the cops were kind of going along with us--allowing it with no opposition being voiced.

As I have said before, I was back and forth on how I felt about what I was doing--and when the cops--after fencing us in--told me I was free to go I left.
In hind sight--as I am pretty sure I have also already said--I regret not seeing it through and staying.
While I was telling myself I was just one of the first and that they were going to let everyone go I probably knew better deep inside.
It still haunts and bothers me how I handled it.
Hopefully I will handle any similar situation a bit differently in the future.
Hats off to Neil, Luke, and all the rest and good luck to them.