12 replies [Last post]
MMM's picture
MMM

So what's up with that?

"Here to do great things."

Anther Pollitt's picture
Anther Pollitt
each to their own duuuude

each to their own duuuude ,but i love premier league football :)

and you guys lost to Ghana? wtf? haha

MMM's picture
MMM
Clueless

That's what I mean. I have no idea what your talking about. Okay, I'm guessing you're talking about the World Cup? Sorry. I'd love to get into a sport somehow but it seems like such a commitment. I like it sometimes but I feel like kind of a poser when I talk about sports. I played baseball and American football as a kid but I don't really follow it.

I was trying to think of a some kind of easy sporty kind of outdoor activity that we could do like in a park or something with a small group. Like volleyball or something? I used to play softball with people from work back in Kansas. I was part of a group that played petanqe in college. That was fun. But you have to have the boules. Maybe you can rent them or something. It was fun. I don't know? Kick ball team? Soccer?

Anther Pollitt's picture
Anther Pollitt
I know how you feel ,like

I know how you feel ,like when i inveitably move to Canada :'( :'(
-I won't know squat about baseball or basketball or anything else.It's better to start following a sport from childhood then you can pretench the hell out of people with your superior knowledge of goals and stats.

But..I suppose it's like someone that likes sports all their life and says they want to listen to music for the first time..It's nice to have a new (if not daunting) exciting hobby.

And have you ever tried swimming in a group? I know it's not outdoorsie but it can be good fun ,it's the only thing to do where i live.

http://www.edenderrytown.com/testdef.htm

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
Sports

I love to watch sports. There's a beauty in the playing and there's an intellectual level of strategy and, if you root for teams, an emotional level of wins and losses. Also its fun being at a game and having a common language and feeling with a ton of other, pretty much random, people for a few hours. Im an avid fan who likes to think about baseball statistics and football strategy and I once almost got a job working with a guy who invented statistical measures for defense in the NBA.

They are also fun to play. I played the usual sports with my friends and organized league basketball in Jr. high. But Im not much of an athlete and starting in 7th grade I spent all my spare time playing music.

The pageantry around them pretty much encapsulates everything fucked up about the US so that's a turn off. But I still like them. Even English football, although I think its really too hard to follow from the US.

Tone-new's picture
Tone-new
The last word on the subject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_yq4L3M_I

Hmm I cant get this link to attach properly. Oh well. I guess people can go to it anyway.

MMM's picture
MMM
Locker Room

Oh yeah what do people think about that whole Mexican reporter lady getting harassed in the locker room? How come they do interviews in locker rooms?

Bee K's picture
Bee K
fuck Denver

I watched the Browns lose three AFC Championship games to Elway's Broncos in the late 80s and football ended for me then and there. I'm not the only Clevelander who feels that way.

Some people love the mathematics involved in sports. On the airplane back from Oregon, the guy next to me ran into an old college friend and they worked it out so they could sit next to each other the whole flight. These were very smart guys. At some point they got into sports and one of them was using game theory to explain strategies he uses to do casual betting on football seasons. They had all sorts of graphs and formulas they were working out on scrap paper. It was really fascinating to watch a couple of brainiacs' sports enthusiasm.

I'm not the biggest baseball fan...I don't even watch the World Series. But I love Bill James' Baseball Almanac.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
While I'm at it, I should

While I'm at it, I should tell a little story. I was never an athlete in elementary or junior high school. I was a bit chubby and I got picked on a lot (my dad was the art teacher at a private school, which meant I got to go for free, but I was a faculty kid and our car was rusty, so I got harassed a lot).

But in the summer before 8th grade, out of the blue, I told my parents that I was going to go out for sports. My dad drove me out to the football field were all my peers were doing jumping jacks. I ran up and got in formation towards the back. Everyone kept turning around and staring at me...they were surprised to see me there. The few friends I hung out with at school were the geeky types who played Apple IIe games, read comics, drew in our sketchbooks and read Tolkien. They didn't know what to make of me being on the football team. It was like signing up with the enemy.

I was on the B football team and I got a lot of bench time. Sometimes I would get tossed in at the end of a game when it was clear that the score wouldn't change. At other times I played for the whole game with a B team from another school. The last game of the season, I remember playing on the defensive line. During that game I recovered a fumble and another time sacked the quarterback for a turnover. I'd played football with my friends in the neighborhood before, but that sack and fumble in a real game with full gear was an experience I'll never forget.

In the winter I took it up a notch and went out for wrestling. Wrestling is one of my favorite sports. The conditioning involved is intense. In 8th grade I was driven into the one of the peak in-shape periods of my life. You're part of an overall team in wrestling, but when you're on the mat, it's just you and your opponent. Strength and endurance are important, but being familiar with a variety of holds and escapes is crucial. That 80s movie "Vision Quest" actually gets a lot of it right. I never won a match against another school, but I got better and better as the season went on. Sometimes we went up against one of the inner city schools. Those wrestlers had a vicious attitude and were intimidating for all the reasons you might think a white Jewish kid going to a private school might have. But by the end of the season I wasn't intimidated by anyone. And if I lost, it wasn't because I was pinned, but because the match ended and I was down a point or two. When I shook hands with my opponent, there was mutual respect: I'd lost, but they hadn't gotten the win they wanted. It was a good game. Wrestling changed my life, my sense of who I was and what I was capable of.

I earned the respect of my peers that year. Most of my peers I still didn't like. As adults, I've met some of them and they are really nice people, but as kids they were rich, snobby, cruel jerks. Through 8th grade and 9th grade, because of the time I spent doing sports, I didn't get messed with as much. But for 10th grade I told my parents I was going to go to public high school. I'd earned the respect of my class on my own terms and now I felt I could leave that school on my own terms and not "run away."

In public high school I went out for wrestling again but it was too intense...practice started at 6am, which means I had to leave the house at 5 to get there. The afternoon practices kept me from performing in the madrigals choir, which just wasn't going to happen. So that was the end of my sports career.

My brother, on the other hand, was a jock from the time he was a toddler. Sports has always been a major part of his life. He's 6' 3" with my dad's build. He's back in Cleveland now and softball games with his old friends are a big part of his recreation when he's not working. He is a mean fucking pitcher.

Chris Andersen's picture
Chris Andersen
I was never that into sports

I was never that into sports as a kid. You know, being a little nerdy kid, it was easy to just be like, "sports are for morons, I'm gonna play D&D" but I finally realized that I don't need to be good at sports to enjoy watching them. Which is good, because there's always a sporting event on TV at any given time, so if I can get into that sport, I've got something to keep me entertained, especially if I'm just killing time at some weird bar.

But, in any case, I've found two ways to effectively get into sports. The first, easiest way, is to just choose a team and root for them. If there's a specific sport you want to get in to, just pick a team and check out one of their games and root for them. As soon as you start saying, "I hope these guys win", you're a lot more emotionally invested and it's a lot easier to stay interested and learn about the game. Just don't root for the yankees.

The other way I've found out is a little more rational and less emotional, in that the trick is to figure out what any given sport is about. It's one thing. Here's my list of what I've got so far:
Baseball: Anticipation; something could happen at any minute, who knows?
Basketball: Momentum; things are sort of always happening, but who can keep it going. Basketball is the anti-baseball this way.
Football(American): Fighting for every inch.
Football(Soccer): Things almost happening. Nothing ever really seems to happen in soccer, so even when something almost happens, it's a big thing. Case in point, any game that ended zero-zero.
Boxing/MMA: Someone getting destroyed and someone realizing they can destroy someone else.
Golf: Mistakes. Golf isn't about doing something great, it's about not messing up. Who ever messes up the least, wins.

Sports I haven't figured out yet:
Hockey, Tennis, Nascar, track and field, swimming.

And those are all my theories on sports.

Costello's picture
Costello
I think TV has something to do with Sports Apathy.

I hate TV sports. I really hate baseball on TV.

But I love baseball in a big stadium. Maybe that has more to do with hanging out with my Family or something. I played Little League, and my family came to my games most of the time.

But TV sports are agonizing - especially sports like football and baseball that are so start-and-stop. I think soccer and hockey are a lot more interesting to watch, both live and on TV, there's more continuous motion. And basketball is somewhere in the middle.

I'm not really into sports anymore, I've fallen out of touch with my fantasy-football-friends, and really only see baseball with my family. So when I do, it's a novelty, and I like it.

So many people watch the olympics, rooting for their country, whether or not they like sports. Maybe because it's only every four years, so no one can get too hooked? I witnessed this most vividly during the last Winter Games, with a roomful of musicians who I never saw watching a hockey game, passing high-fives when America scored. It was slightly surreal. And I was one of them.

I'm OK with being a sunny-day baseball fan. I still like Don Mattingly.

My feeling about starter sports is 1) frisbee is always a lot of fun, and 2) there are public bocce courts in every borough.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/bocce

Yes. I wrote this.

MMM's picture
MMM
I like the frisbee idea.

I like the frisbee idea. That's easy. Does anyone else have bocce balls? Mine are still at my Dad's house I think but I could maybe get him to mail them to me? It's pretty darn fun. Any game you can play with a beer and a cigarette are okay in my book.

On a somewhat different note, last night I caught a bit of the Ken Burns PBS documentary about Baseball called The 10th Inning. The part I watched was about the influence of Latin America on Baseball for the past 20 or 30 years. It's pretty interesting. While helping to break down the walls of racism and cultural stereotypes the influx of Latin Americans into the Major League has also created this strange farming system where scouts and reps go down to these poor towns in Porto Rico to check out young kids who are more or less bread their whole lives to play baseball. Many of them get hooked on steroids at a a very early age. Sometimes a manager will support the kid all the way to the major leagues and then get take a percentage of their signing bonus if the make it to the Majors. If they don't make it then they're sent home with nothing or many stay in the US illegally. There are supposedly a lot of public ball parks throughout NYC where you can see guys playing at this very high level that didn't quite have it to make it into the Majors.

Other parts I found interesting had to do with the psychological aspects of playing baseball.
http://www.pbs.org/baseball-the-tenth-inning/watch-video/pitching-pitche...

The whole doc is like 4 hours but it looks pretty interesting.

Neil's picture
Neil
baseball is the shit.

baseball is the shit.

Your signature will be publicly displayed at the end of your comments.