Procrastination

4 replies [Last post]
dibson's picture
dibson

Hi all-

Just read this:

A New Yorker article on procrastination

I think everyone grapples with procrastination, and I'm sure there are many reasons why one does it. What things do you put off, and why? And since there are so many creative folks, how does that relate to your creativity? And how has it changed over the years?

When I was in college, I would often write songs before going to class. Putting off class made writing seem so much more important, and time-sensitive since I had to go so soon.

Now I find myself putting off creative stuff - setting up my recording stuff - in favor of cleaning my room. I'm playing guitar, but not recording.

I'll leave off with a quotation from the article I really like:

The philosopher Mark Kingwell puts it in existential terms: “Procrastination most often arises from a sense that there is too much to do, and hence no single aspect of the to-do worth doing. . . . Underneath this rather antic form of action-as-inaction is the much more unsettling question whether anything is worth doing at all.”

Amos's picture
Amos
Very interesting...

I'll write a reply, tomorrow.

You should know what Sibel Edmonds knows.

Bee K's picture
Bee K
I pay about $100 in library

I pay about $100 in library fines per year because I can't seem to get online and renew those suckers. I should just stop checking out 10 books at a time. I usually get through 3.

But I never learn. I've had issues with library books since elementary school.

I could have renewed them just now, actually.

Neil's picture
Neil
To put it in existential

To put it in existential terms: I have no time for procrastinating, because I am too busy existing.

Your signature will be publicly displayed at the end of your comments.

MMM's picture
MMM
That was a good article

Thanks Dibs. This I'm gonna try some of that stuff.

"Here to do great things."