Vinyl

13 replies [Last post]
Sarah Talia's picture
Sarah Talia

Hi talented friends!

Some of you maybe know I've been working for a record factory, Brooklynphono, for a little while. I thought maybe I'd post the pricing in case anyone was interested in making some awesome (and relatively cheap I think) records!

Here's the website: http://www.brooklynphono.com/

Pricing for 12" LPs:

Mastering per side (side under 20 minutes) - $165.00
Mastering per side (side over 20 minutes) - $200.00
Plating per side (1 step and replacements) - $85.00
Plating per side (2 step) - $135.00

Labels printing:
Black and White - $150.00
Full Color - $175.00

Sleeves - $0.00
Jackets (stock black or white, with or without hole) - $0.35

Press set up charges - $150.00

Test pressing (5) - $25.00

140 gram record (black vinyl) - $1.25
(color vinyl is also available - ask for pricing)

Shrink-wrap (per record) - $0.15

Stickering and inserting (per item/per record) - $0.05

Things that are optional: Printed labels, Jackets , Shrink-wrap, and Stickers
Also there are no minimums!

And here's a flyer for 7'' 's, which are even cheaper! If you have any questions let me know!

Image: 
Elastic No-No Band's picture
Elastic No-No Band
Cool!

I've been looking into doing some vinyl stuff, and Joe Crow mentioned you working at this place -- although being Joe Crow, he thought it was "Brooklyn Farms", which was no help when I tried to Google.

Do you do 10-inch records at all?

Also, the flyer is (erroneously, I hope) advertising 7-foot records... which, actually, I would kind of like to see.

--Info on three-worded acts like Elastic No-No Band, Joe Crow Ryan, and Thomas Patrick Maguire at http://www.weemaykmusic.com --

Elastic No-No Band
Actually...

Heck with 10-inch records.

Can you guys make every last one of these mad-scientist records that Jack White came up with?

--Info on three-worded acts like Elastic No-No Band, Joe Crow Ryan, and Thomas Patrick Maguire at http://www.weemaykmusic.com --

MMM's picture
MMM
That's cool!

Way to go Jack!

"Here to do great things."

Sarah Talia's picture
Sarah Talia
Um, woww!

After you break open the 12'' can you still play it?!

No, I don't think we can make peach-scented records with a built in mind-fuck, but our records do sound good!

Unfortunately you need a whole press dedicated to 10'' s and we don't have one, just one 7'' and three 12'' machines. We can do colored vinyl, I bet even glow in the dark! I know that those striped records require a hand press (which maybe we have? I'm not sure) but we could almost definitely do those streaky ones with random patches of other colors. But I'll ask to make sure! And finally, our records come with a hug from me! I'm not Jack White, but I do have a pair of red pants.

By the way if anyone ever wants to come check the factory out and see how it's done my boss loves to show the place off!

Justin I'm so excited that you're gonna make a record! I'll make sure to take them off the presses myself! And thanks for the video, I'll use it to put some pressure on the boss!

MMM's picture
MMM
This sounds so cool.

I'll take a hug over Jack White any day. Those records seem cool but I like supporting local friends. We should plan a field trip to the record plant. I'm super psyched to have a vinyl connection. Maybe some kind of OJ singles club could be cool? Anyone wanna help? Ideas?

Elastic No-No Band
Hmmm...

I would love to curate a singles club with you.

The first thing that comes to mind is splits where the artists cover each other's songs.

But that's just the first thing. Maybe we can spitball some more when I come in to see you record Joe Crow.

dibson's picture
dibson
Pricing Confusion

I read over the pricing list and felt confused afterwards. The pricings are all clear, but I'm not familiar with the whole process or what would be applicable to me in doing a run of records.

For example: I'm finishing a recording with Matt now. He's mastering it - would brooklyn phono want to also master it? Is the vinyl mastering something you could do, Matt?

What is the plating process? And the "1 step and replacements" option versus "2 step". Are both required?

I clearly need to research the whole process, but it'd be great if that stuff were all very clear on the website.

I'd be curious to see a worksheet that would guide me in the process of pricing out a run. Do you have anything like that?

MMM's picture
MMM
I would say talk to Justin

I would say talk to Justin about this.
They do not do the mastering at the plant. I can do it. The other stuff I'm not sure about but Justin Remer is doing a record there soon so he might have some insight.

Did you get the files?

Elastic No-No Band
What I know

Actually, the Joe Crow project I'm working on, I'm doing with another firm, just because it will be a 10-inch... but I have Brooklyn Phono earmarked for what's next.

There are 2 types of mastering you need to do.

One is the mastering of the digital file, so that the EQ is good, etc. etc.

Second is the lacquer mastering, which is the actual creation of the grooves based on your digital file. From what I understand, they don't do any "correction" to the sound at this point, unless your file is creating unstable grooves that will skip.

When I did the TPM 7-inch, I just went to Paul Gold at Salt Mastering and he both did a digital master and cut the lacquers. Then he sent the lacquers off to the pressing plant and they made their metal parts from that.

The plates are metal stampers made from the lacquers. I'm not 100% on this, but I think one-step is that they make a "negative" piece of metal from the lacquer and then use it to stamp out your records. 2-Step is they make a "positive" from the negative, in order to make new replacement stampers when they wear out. I think you have to do more than 500 copies for the stamper to start to wear out, so 2-step probably isn't necessary if you're not Arcade Fire. (I assume.)

When you just give a digital file to a pressing plant, I do not fully understand the limitations of frequency that need to be taken into account with the file you give them, since vinyl "understands" less of the dynamic range than digital. I know that you don't want too much bass unless you're doing like a 12-inch at 45rpm, or something.

That's about as much as I know.

Neil's picture
Neil
question from Natalie Ribbons of Agent Ribbons...

"Does anyone know if it's possible to put, like, a leaf or a collage in vinyl as though it were a picture disc? Been wondering this for ages but no one can tell me. I also wonder if glitter is an option..."

Your signature will be publicly displayed at the end of your comments.

MMM's picture
MMM
Found this cool link about how they make vinyl records

Sarah Talia's picture
Sarah Talia
couple answers to some really good questions

I emailed these to one of the smart guys I work with but he's really busy and never got around to answering them, so I'll try to the best of my ability.

Justin is pretty much right on about all of that stuff, except that we get easily 1500 records out of a single set of stampers. Mastering just means cutting the lacquers, I found this pretty nifty article on what that entails:
http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/114.html

Unfortunately there's no worksheet, you kind of have to call and get a quote. The good thing about that is that Paul, the guy who takes the orders, is really awesome and has definitely been known to give discounts. He offered to give me a cut of any jobs that I "brokered" but I said he should just give you guys a discount instead, so I think that's quite feasible.

As for glitter, I'm pretty sure it would interfere with the sound, but I asked one of the guys at work and he said what you could probably do is make a picture disc with glittery paper instead of a picture. Unfortunately we can't do those :( For leaves and collages, I know that any paper that gets included on a record, including the labels, has to go into an oven to take out any moisture which will damage the vinyl. At our place their set at around 125 celsius. A lot of inks melt, some burn, and I bet most adhesives would melt too, but maybe you could find one meant for high heat. Leaves, I'm not sure maybe they'd burn or the heat would destroy the colors, but maybe not! I also bet that the sheets of paper get sent through a machine, I'm not sure whether a collage would make it through or not, but you could try calling these guys, seems like they're up for anything: http://www.furnacemfg.com/

And finally, some GOOD NEWS!
-We're going to have a winter special on LP's, they haven't posted the rates yet, but I'll repost them here as soon as they're up on the facebook page (Hey, anyone feel like "liking" Brooklynphono? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brooklynphono/133931046660115)
-Also, we're currently pressing a few jobs in white and we'll probably have some leftover, AND I just discovered a stash of a bunch of extra colored material - green, red, blue, yellow, etc. I asked and it's official, this means that cute rainbow sprinkle on vanilla ice cream colored records are totally possible, at least for a little while! I'm not sure exactly what it will look like, but I'm pretty sure awesome is part of it.

Elastic No-No Band

Thanks for the info, Sarah!

MMM: We haven't talked in depth about the singles club idea, but maybe this is a good forum to get a sense of what potential singles club consumers would be looking for, by getting OJ board readers in on it.

If you joined an OJ 7-inch singles club, what would YOU want to hear?

And how often? Quarterly? Is that not enough -- monthly!?!

And how much would you be willing to pay for the exclusive privilege? A thousand dollars? A MILLION dollars? (Note: Joining the OJ 7-inch Singles Club would likely not cost a million dollars.)

Let's get this ball rolling!