Howl day 1

1 reply [Last post]
Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis

Went out to Tompkins Sq at about 10:30 am, people were just starting to do their "art around the park" paintings so there wasn't much to see yet.
Katey and I hung up the Tuli Kupferberg memorial mural that I made, then took off for the "Free Bradley Manning" protest up at Times Sq.
Came back downtown and went back over to the park again, bumped into Ernie Brooks who said he was playing in a band that was gonna play at 6:30. At the park Katey and I then bumped into Jon Berger, and we all decided to walk to Avenue C to try to see Lach and Anu at their apartment sale.
Saw Master Lee and Touching You, TY was working on an "art around the park" mural in the form of a fake newspaper with lots of acerbic articles and cartoons and lots and lots of words (naturally). Saw Norman Savitt (formerly of Revolting News) who had just come down from Woodstock (perhaps with Ed Sanders, whom I think was reading in the park today but I missed it). Said hi to Norman while David Peel walked by screaming "Joey!" or something like that. A spontaneous tribute to Joey Ramone perhaps? Who knows.
Bought some comic books and a Billy Syndrome LP from Lach's place, and Katey bought some sneakers with big springs attached to the bottom, which she wore as we walked back to the park, checked out the much-developed murals, heard some music at the bandshell, saw dogs of outrageous size, saw John Glovin walk by at outrageous speed, caught a few drops of rain, and that was it.
No idea what the schedule of events there is tomorrow.

dizozza's picture
dizozza
Thank you, Jeff...

The entertainment begins at 2 and runs to 7. Detective Hernandez was there to supervise... I ran into John Gernard who did sound for the antifolk park events... he reminisced that one the performers cast a vial of Ginzberg's ashes into the wind... and the wind blew it right back at him...