Legal Ain't the Same as Right

2 replies [Last post]
Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss

If you are still believing that you do not have the right to do something unless it's legal, you are a sucker and are falling into a trap set by the greedy and murderous.
I don't like seeing anyone beg their slave master for recognition of a right they already have and were born with.
The price for playing it straight?
The price for acknowledging how things really are?
The price for exercising your rights as a being on this planet---not your legal rights which change from year to year, but your real rights?
Possibly incarceration and/or torture and definitely your own murder.

I have no question in my mind as to why more people do not acknowledge how tings truly are.
It means the end to all your fantasies.
It means the end to your physical confort, your popularity, your powerfulness, your physical safety, your life.

It's the only noble direction to move in, but it's as hard as hard can be so most come up with see-through elaborate games to rationalize their cowardice.

I fall short 1,0000 times a day, but I also possibly do the right thing 1,0001 times a day.
I hope so.
If I am lying to myself I am willing to realize it and stop.

It's very hard.
There are certainly folks that do it better than I, but now we cannot engage in this fantasy stuff any longer.
You were born with the right to do whatever you know to be right--whether it is illegal or not.
I wish I were invisible and unaware, but I am not so that is that.

PS While I have no illusions about how important I currently am I am also aware of the fact that I am beginning to enter territory for which I may very well be held accountable by the U.S. Govt.
As small time as this is--it is me exposing myself and it does take courage.
This is not a game.

Jeff Lewis's picture
Jeff Lewis
You say: "If you are still

You say:

"If you are still believing that you do not have the right to do something unless it's legal, you are a sucker and are falling into a trap set by the greedy and murderous."

But I say...

If two gay people wish to get married, it is in fact the case that they don't have the "right" to do it unless it is "legal".

They can enact a ceremony, say all the same words, have all the same people present at the ceremony, but none of that will allow one of them to (for example) take on the lease of an apartment if one partner on the lease dies in a car crash.

Another example...

When segregation was the legal law of the land, it certainly was not "right" that black people could not sit in a white restaurant, but it was the legal fact. If a black man sat in a white restaurant, he would be hit on the head by a policeman's stick. SO I suppose you could say that what a black man had the "right" to do was to sit in a white restaurant if he was okay with being hit on the head with a stick. It was not until he had the LEGAL right to sit in the restaurant that he could do it with the protection of the law.

Yes, you could say it was morally right for him to sit in the restaurant one way or the other. Waiting for it to be a legal right is only an issue depending on how much you mind whether somebody ELSE has the right to smash you over the head for it or not. If you don't mind if somebody else has that right, then you are "free" to do whatever you want. You have the "right" to drive 100 miles an hour, as long as you don't mind that somebody else has the right to stop you, by superior force if necessary. You only are freed from that other person's right to muster superior force against you at the point when you have the LEGAL right to do something. Once you have the LEGAL right to do something, then you have the superior force on YOUR side against anybody trying to stop you.

Barry Bliss's picture
Barry Bliss
Replies

SO I suppose you could say that what a black man had the "right" to do was to sit in a white restaurant if he was okay with being hit on the head with a stick. It was not until he had the LEGAL right to sit in the restaurant that he could do it with the protection of the law. ----Jeff Lewis

I do indeed say that.

Once you have the LEGAL right to do something, then you have the superior force on YOUR side against anybody trying to stop you.

Right. That is what I am not into.
Please never use superior force to protect my rights.
This is a request as a friend.